Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

Mulab 8

SparkySpark
KVRian

821 posts since 30 Aug, 2004, from Skövde, Sweden

Postby SparkySpark; Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:34 pm Re: Mulab 8

fluffy_little_something wrote:

Some things in Mulab seem little conventional. Like double-clicking and right-clicking for deleting notes. The right click usually serves to open a context menu, which might be the note editor in this case.

This specific thing can be changed in the Settings if I am not mistaken, to ctrl-click.
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
nenneb
KVRist

98 posts since 8 Dec, 2015

Postby nenneb; Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 pm Re: Mulab 8

antoniaz wrote:I'm not so interested in time stretching but good to have it.
Instead, I would like to mention something that I would like to really see in MuLab 8:
- changes of time signature along a song; in alternative, a way to compose a song by putting "sub-songs" (each one with a potentially different time signature) in a sequential flow
- cleer visual feedback during recording
- simultaneous MIDI editing of at least two tracks in same pianoroll; as alternative, a way to look at two (or more) pianorolls in parallel, with time alignment (I know you can get moveable independent panels but they are difficult to keep aligned)
- graphical display and editing of tempo changes

Oh yes, I support that all!
See also another thread (2017-composer's wishes):
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=477369
mutools
KVRAF

9165 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:39 am Re: Mulab 8

SparkySpark wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:

Some things in Mulab seem little conventional. Like double-clicking and right-clicking for deleting notes. The right click usually serves to open a context menu, which might be the note editor in this case.

This specific thing can be changed in the Settings if I am not mistaken, to ctrl-click.

Indeed, see the "Right-Click Deletes Notes" preference.
In fact by default it's off so the default right-click behavior is consistent.
The docs mentioned "right-click = delete note" but i've improved that doc page now:
http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/ ... ditor.html
mutools
KVRAF

Postby mutools; Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:44 am Re: Mulab 8

nenneb wrote:
Instead, I would like to mention something that I would like to really see in MuLab 8:
- changes of time signature along a song; in alternative, a way to compose a song by putting "sub-songs" (each one with a potentially different time signature) in a sequential flow
- cleer visual feedback during recording
- simultaneous MIDI editing of at least two tracks in same pianoroll; as alternative, a way to look at two (or more) pianorolls in parallel, with time alignment (I know you can get moveable independent panels but they are difficult to keep aligned)

Of course these are relevant FRs. Note that i'm but a sole developer and due to the limited resources as a one man company (also doing support, admin, website, ...) i have to make choices. It's not my ambition to evolve MuLab into something like Reaper. Main focus will be more on sound magic & creative sequencing and on a comfortable, inspiring and lightweight feel & workflow. Just saying this so you can pick the right tools for your needs. Hopefully that will include MuLab / MUX Modular.
nenneb
KVRist

98 posts since 8 Dec, 2015

Postby nenneb; Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:43 am Re: Mulab 8

mutools wrote:... sound magic & creative sequencing and on a comfortable, inspiring and lightweight feel & workflow.

Yes, I know, Jo! And please believe me, I truly appreciate your work as well as your support!
It's this "inspiring and lightweight feel" that makes MuLab unique. Anyway, in my personal opinion "sound magic" also can be realized with external VSTi's, but "creative sequencing" could need some slight improvements.
Btw: Is there a chance to color the VU's yellow above 0dB?
ZeePok
KVRian

800 posts since 22 Aug, 2004, from Edge City, the Low Country

Postby ZeePok; Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:01 am Re: Mulab 8

I don't 'pre-scan' VST's and only use the browser window to load them.

It would be nice if there would be a double-click or Enter in the browser to load VST in active rack slot (additional to dragging)
bibz1st
KVRian

1453 posts since 29 Mar, 2013

Postby bibz1st; Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:15 am Re: Mulab 8

If you click the empty slot in your rack you can navigate to your chosen VST from there
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through
antoniaz
KVRist

54 posts since 31 Oct, 2006

Postby antoniaz; Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:20 am Re: Mulab 8

mutools wrote:
nenneb wrote:
- clear visual feedback during recording

Of course these are relevant FRs. Note that i'm but a sole developer and due to the limited resources as a one man company (also doing support, admin, website, ...) i have to make choices. It's not my ambition to evolve MuLab into something like Reaper. Main focus will be more on sound magic & creative sequencing and on a comfortable, inspiring and lightweight feel & workflow. Just saying this so you can pick the right tools for your needs. Hopefully that will include MuLab / MUX Modular.

Of course Jo, I fully agree and understand. I also do not like complex DAWs. My items are just suggestions in case you can spend effort on them somewhen in the future.
Anyway, there are things like more visual feedback during recording that should be easier to add.
Time signature changes is also an important aspect from the composer's viewpoint / creative sequencing.

Thanks for your great work so far and committment to improve MuLab further as shown by your V8 plan.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

9930 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:27 am Re: Mulab 8

I think Mulab is complex enough already, and not overly intuitive compared to other DAW's. Too many options hidden away in lots of menus, hard to find, also due to "unusual" English descriptions.
Not sure where the journey is going, but as far as the things that I need are concerned, there has hardly been any change to Mulab in years.
mutools
KVRAF

Postby mutools; Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:38 am Re: Mulab 8

Then why are you still using it?
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

9930 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:48 am Re: Mulab 8

Good question :hihi: Let's see...

Basically because I already have it and it is much cheaper than Cubase, not to mention a much smaller file to download.

I also have an old Mixcraft license, but I don't want to install it on my new computer as it comes bundled with so many crappy plugins that automatically get installed as well.

In short, Mulab is the lesser evil to me and I will probably keep using it for the time being, but I never really liked it or felt comfortable using it :?
ZeePok
KVRian

800 posts since 22 Aug, 2004, from Edge City, the Low Country

Postby ZeePok; Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:52 am Re: Mulab 8

bibz1st wrote:If you click the empty slot in your rack you can navigate to your chosen VST from there

Don't like using that loading/browsing dialog. It's just not intuitive enough. I'd rather use the browser window. :)
pljones
KVRAF

6005 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from London, UK

Postby pljones; Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:15 am Re: Mulab 8

antoniaz wrote:Time signature changes is also an important aspect from the composer's viewpoint / creative sequencing.
Yes, this is probably the one thing I really miss - there does need to be more flexibility in timing in the composer. I was hoping the introduction of audio time stretching might be part of a focus on more ways to play with time in the composer in general.
antoniaz
KVRist

54 posts since 31 Oct, 2006

Postby antoniaz; Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:27 pm Re: Mulab 8

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think Mulab is complex enough already, and not overly intuitive compared to other DAW's. Too many options hidden away in lots of menus, hard to find, also due to "unusual" English descriptions.
Not sure where the journey is going, but as far as the things that I need are concerned, there has hardly been any change to Mulab in years.

In my opinion, MuLab is a very good compromise between usability and capability.
I may agree that the menu system is a bit too complex w.r.t. what's typically needed, but it could
be solved by enabling some user customization also for the menu items to be displayed
(since MuLab is already super-customizable for many other aspects like colors, shortcuts, etc.).
magicmusic
KVRian

788 posts since 11 Nov, 2013

Postby magicmusic; Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:25 am Re: Mulab 8

for news in mulab/mux 8 i like a better browser. I hope thats not much work. A select next button is in, but a select prev and drag again button is usefull too. that it is possible with double click replace whole or that it is possible to drop in the free area of the main vst window. because MUX resize its window(The window with the DAW specific buttons stay same, so depend on instrument or effect there need move larger way.

When save a song and load later, the browser window should reopen in same way as it was before and show the same folders open. i mean same behavior as when close the mux window and reopen it. In MUX when click on show browser menu, there is for each MUX plugin instance a browser open. but when i open a browser in another plugin, it go to default view. when close browser window 1 and reopen it, then it show the content of browser 2. its usefull to have 2 browser windows independent open because 1 can list the effect, the other the instruments. in general it work in 7.x only the settings are lost or overwritten
PreviousNext

Moderators: mutools, muzycian

Return to MUTOOLS