Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

How do I sidechain a BD in MuLab?

SparkySpark
KVRian

870 posts since 30 Aug, 2004, from Skövde, Sweden

Postby SparkySpark; Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 am How do I sidechain a BD in MuLab?

Hi,

I'm trying to achieve some bassdrum pumping (à la Daft Punk's One More time). I understand the basic concepts of sidechaining to do this, but how do I do it using the MuDrum?

I have a MuDrum track with the 909 kit. What I want is to insert a compressor somewhere and then route the bass and trance synth (at least) to the compressor to pump accorind to the bassdrum hits.

I haven't done this before elsewhere, but am also confused how to do this in MuLab - do I need to have the drum kit samples on their different tracks or can they stay within the drum kit track?

Thanks!

Petter
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:37 am Re: How do I sidechain a BD in MuLab?

On a related note, I wonder one thing about the MuDrum.

In MuDrum's main window, I can use the racks for Main and for "rack 2", called Reverb in the 909 kit. If I drag a cable to rack 3 and assign an effect to it, the sound gets through, but the effect does not kick in. So it works, it's just that the effect rack is bypassed. I'm not sure why or how this is or what to do about it.

They are all set to Output 1.

MuDrum.JPG

In the example above, the Vintage Echo effect cannot be heard (so the cymbal crash sounds as if there were no effect).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
mutools
KVRAF

9214 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:37 am Re: How do I sidechain a BD in MuLab?

SparkySpark wrote:Hi,
I'm trying to achieve some bassdrum pumping (à la Daft Punk's One More time). I understand the basic concepts of sidechaining to do this, but how do I do it using the MuDrum?

Here is an example:
http://www.mutools.com/mulab/projects/e ... ession.zip
mutools
KVRAF

9214 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:39 am Re: How do I sidechain a BD in MuLab?

SparkySpark wrote:On a related note, I wonder one thing about the MuDrum.

In MuDrum's main window, I can use the racks for Main and for "rack 2", called Reverb in the 909 kit. If I drag a cable to rack 3 and assign an effect to it, the sound gets through, but the effect does not kick in. So it works, it's just that the effect rack is bypassed. I'm not sure why or how this is or what to do about it.

They are all set to Output 1.

MuDrum.JPG

In the example above, the Vintage Echo effect cannot be heard (so the cymbal crash sounds as if there were no effect).

That rack is switched off, see the on/off LED of that rack.
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:03 pm Re: How do I sidechain a BD in MuLab?

My mind must have gone into an early vacationstate! Stupid of me not to see this!

I guess the reason for having it turned off by default is performance (?).

Thanks!
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:05 pm Re: How do I sidechain a BD in MuLab?

mutools wrote:
SparkySpark wrote:Hi,

Here is an example:
http://www.mutools.com/mulab/projects/e ... ession.zip

Thanks for the example. Will check it out tomorrow. :tu:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

Moderators: mutools, muzycian

Return to MUTOOLS