Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
d.vyd
KVRist

170 posts since 2 May, 2016

Postby d.vyd; Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:17 am MuLab crashes after turning off record

Hi folks,

I'm sending notes to MuLab via loopMIDI from Reaktor. The total rate of all the MIDI messages on 8 channels is about 1kb per second. I'm guessing that is a lot of MIDI data, but I'm not sure. Anyway, MuLab sounds great and hosts VSTs well. When I hit "record" all seems to be OK. I record perhaps 5 minutes of MIDI data. When I hit "record" again to stop recording, MuLab puts up a mouse cursor showing that it is working--and then crashes. It does this nearly every time. MuLab is pretty solid with handling MIDI. Most likely, the problem is with my Reaktor patch. However, is there any way I can set up MuLab so it is more forgiving? Or saves the MIDI data automatically before crashing?

Thank you,
-d. vyd
mutools
KVRAF

9214 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 am Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

Does the crash disappear when you lower that MIDI data rate?
d.vyd
KVRist

Postby d.vyd; Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:31 am Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

At lower rates (only 1 or 2 MIDI channels), I can record for maybe 5 minutes, stop recording, and it will not crash.

At higher rates (4 or 5 MIDI channels), I can record for maybe 20 seconds, stop recording, and it will not crash.

Even if I don't stop recording, MuLab will crash if I let it record too long. I hear a stuck note sound and then get a Windows warning that MuLab has stopped functioning.

Yet, CPU and memory are never over 60% used. So, MuLab still has resources.

I'm trying various VST midi filters, but they aren't solving the issue. I'm also working on improving the Reaktor patch.
d.vyd
KVRist

Postby d.vyd; Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:21 am Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

If I turn off all the MIDI CC data, then the rate is about 75b/second. MuLab behaves normally under these conditions so far.
mutools
KVRAF

Postby mutools; Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:13 pm Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

By "crash" you mean MuLab doesn't respond for a longer time, right?
Or do you really get a crash report from the OS?

When i record a very long intense sequence with lots of MIDI data (eg lots of controller/pitchbend), then it can take a lot of time to finish this recording. But it does not crash. If i patiently wait for the result, MuLab continues normally.
That's what you mean right?

I agree it can take too long in such case, will try to improve that.
mutools
KVRAF

Postby mutools; Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:35 am Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

I assume you interpreted a long processing time as a crash. For the difference between crash and hang see https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-c ... o?id=14592
In M8 finalizing extreme long/intense MIDI recording with many (ten)thousands of events has been made faster.
d.vyd
KVRist

Postby d.vyd; Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:59 pm Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

I just tried it again at the original MIDI bit rate, around 1kb/sec. The input includes 5 channels of MIDI notes with 4 controllers each. I've attached screenshots of the crash messages. In the first example, I let it play for 3 or 4 minutes without recording and suddenly there was a stuck, repeating note and a crash message. In the second example, I recorded for 2 or 3 minutes and then turned off recording. I received the crash message during finalization.

To compare with another DAW, I'm finding that Ableton is generally able to handle the input. But, ultimately I'd like to do most of my work in MuLab because your routing and MUX system are very helpful and intuitive.

-d. vyd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mutools
KVRAF

Postby mutools; Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:24 am Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

Ah ok so a real crash. Please do this:

* Make sure you have installed the latest M7.6.12 from http://mutools.com/mulab/new/
* Then launch it and repeat the crash
* Send me the Windows crash report, which can be found via Windows Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application
This crash report should include all technical details like crash exception module, location, etc...

Thx.
d.vyd
KVRist

Postby d.vyd; Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:57 am Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

I'm using 7.3.12 32bit. I'll upgrade now and retest.
d.vyd
KVRist

Postby d.vyd; Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:16 am Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

I've sent the crash report to infodesk...
mutools
KVRAF

Postby mutools; Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:02 pm Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

Thanks for the crash report.
It seems that you're running out of memory due to the long intense MIDI recording. In M8 i've lowered the memory footprint of MIDI events but that only pushes upwards the limit you're encountering so if you're recording even longer and/or more intense MIDI data you can still reach the out of memory case. M8 will be more efficient MIDI event memory-wise but if you would still record more than RAM can take, and you have made sure MuLab gets all RAM it needs from the OS, then plugging in more RAM will be the only solution.
d.vyd
KVRist

Postby d.vyd; Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:27 pm Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

Thank you for checking the crash report. How can I make sure MuLab has permission to use all available memory? I have a fast SSD drive--can it use that instead?
mutools
KVRAF

Postby mutools; Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:27 am Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

That are questions outside MuLab, it are questions about Windows. If i would know these things exactly i would tell you of course, but to give you a precise answer on those questions i would have to research that myself too. It surely is an interesting question, i'm curious for the answer too. Anyone has practical experience with pushing the mem bounds for a specific program on Windows?
d.vyd
KVRist

Postby d.vyd; Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:33 am Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

I just tested it again while watching Windows task manager. MuLab crashes when the task manager reports only 50% of physical memory is being used (4gb out of 8gb). I also increased my virtual memory (SSD drive) from 1gb to 10gb, which appears not to have made a difference. I can buy more physical memory, but according to Windows task manager--that is not the issue. Of course, Windows may not be reporting the memory use accurately or quickly enough.
mutools
KVRAF

Postby mutools; Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:34 am Re: MuLab crashes after turning off record

I encountered a similar behavior. I can assure you that i could repeat the exact same crash that you reported and that the reason of that crash was that Windows told MuLab that there was not enough free memory anymore (for MuLab).
Next

Moderators: mutools, muzycian

Return to MUTOOLS