Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
SparkySpark
KVRian

1110 posts since 30 Aug, 2004, from Skövde, Sweden

Postby SparkySpark; Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:31 am Safety limiters

I read an interesting thread on how KVR members set up their master busses. Just about everyone started out adding a brick wall limiter to protect their hearing. I'm thinking that this could perhaps be done when starting a new song in MuLab. Apart from convenience, this would also show a good attitude towards the customers.

Also, I think the new resonator module really needs a limiter. I tried it and it can get dangerously loud.

Here is a section on resonator and limiter from the MMorph manual:
Limiter button enables or disables the safety limiter. Its purpose is to protect you from peaks above 0dB, which can have damaging
effects to your processing chain, your monitors and even your hearing.
It is generally advised to keep your audio below 0dB at all times in all stages of your processing chain. However, several plugins may
cause high level outputs with certain settings, often due to unprevented resonances with specific audio materials. The safety limiter
prevents that.

I recently got rather severe tinnitus when some idiot played a home tv system on max volume in an electronics store as I was passing by, as a prank. It awakes me at night and I don't wish this for anyone else. :(
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
chk071
KVRAF

15800 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:50 am Re: Safety limiters

As far as i know, most current monitors also have a limiter built inside, and many DAW's also do. I still use one. Tonebooster's Barricade CM is very good for this purpose.
ere2learn
KVRian

1484 posts since 3 May, 2014

Postby ere2learn; Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:11 am Re: Safety limiters

Look into Cerebus Audio Ice9,its a free automute plugin that mutes above the desired threshold,absolutely essential tool

http://www.cerberusaudio.com/Software/Products/Ice9/

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ice9-a ... erus-audio
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:58 am Re: Safety limiters

Yes, thanks. It is very transparent too.

I realized when playing around with the resonator in my multi effect plugin that when it got really off-the-charts loud, the sound shut down inside MuLab (until it got quieter again). So perhaps there is a safety limiter, just set very high?

What do you think of my idea with a default MUX limiter on the last slot in the Master rack? Nice touch? (And while I'm at it, a preferences setting for not adding any limiter, or for exchanging it with the VST limiter of your choice, like ice9). I think this would make a great addition to MuLab 8, without almost any need for additional programming. :phones: :)
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
bibz1st
KVRAF

1511 posts since 29 Mar, 2013

Postby bibz1st; Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:08 am Re: Safety limiters

You could just add a limiter of your choice and save it as the default project, no need for any extra programming whatsoever, job done :D
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:18 am Re: Safety limiters

bibz1st wrote:You could just add a limiter of your choice and save it as the default project, no need for any extra programming whatsoever, job done :D

Yes thanks! What I was after was that it should (perhaps) be a default in MuLab. Then people who don't appreciate this concern could just as easily remove it. :D

(And in that case there is not even a need for a specific setting in the preferences.)
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
ere2learn
KVRian

1484 posts since 3 May, 2014

Postby ere2learn; Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:39 am Re: Safety limiters

SparkySpark wrote:So perhaps there is a safety limiter, just set very high?

Its not a limiter,its a automute.A limiter will still let sound through when pushed to to max.

I use Ice9 on every session set up in a default template on the master,doesn't active 99 times out of 100,but I'm sure glad it's there.

Reaper has this function built in & I really think every daw should a safety feature like this
SparkySpark
KVRian

Postby SparkySpark; Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:51 am Re: Safety limiters

Thanks, yes an automute of course.

Ice9 it is! :)
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!
AndreasD
KVRian

826 posts since 2 Mar, 2009

Postby AndreasD; Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:06 am Re: Safety limiters

SparkySpark wrote:
bibz1st wrote:You could just add a limiter of your choice and save it as the default project, no need for any extra programming whatsoever, job done :D

Yes thanks! What I was after was that it should (perhaps) be a default in MuLab. Then people who don't appreciate this concern could just as easily remove it. :D

(And in that case there is not even a need for a specific setting in the preferences.)

I like it the way it is now. I have a limiter in the first slot in the master rack plus a few other settings I like and saved it as NEW template. Whenever I start a new project I have those VST(s) and settings.

Over the years my master rack changed quite a lot, while I went through different limiters, compressors, eqs, auto-correction of speaker, etc.

Moderators: mutools, muzycian

Return to MUTOOLS