Mux Modular VST No Multi-sample drag/drop

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can't use the Mux VST to edit multi-samples. Drag drop does not work, no way to add samples that I can find. Does work within MuLab, but I want to use a different host.

Which OS: Windows or MacOS?

Which MUX VST version?

Which DAW?

Which type of sample files are you dropping on MUX VST?

Windows 10, 32 bit host tested in both Ableton and Sesomusic Usine
Created empty patch and added mulisampler. Drag and dropped .wav files.

Most recent version of Mux

Tried it with MUX VST 64 bit in Reaper on Win 10.
Drag dropping sample files on the multi-sample editor works fine here.

Should I be able to use 32 bit Ableton Live? It would be easy enough for you to test that environment.
The demo version of Sensomusic Usine 32 bit is also free (and essentially is an unzip/run install).
I'll try Reaper 64 bit just to see if I can re-create your result, but I expect it will work.
I really want to use 32 bit (due to other plugins), or have some kind of work-around.

I also tried the same thing in FL Studio 32 bit, works fine there too.

Yes, the drag drop does work for Reaper x64 and FL Studio.
I also works in Usine Hollyhock x64 (3.0.154)

However, it does not work for Ableton Live 9.7.1 (x64 or 32 bit) or Usine Hollyhock x32 (3.0.154), the Host programs that I usually use. The "No Drop" circle with an angled line shows when hovering over the Multi-Sample
Player "keyboard" window with samples to drop.

I have been using the presets up to now, and love Mux in general. I'm just starting to use it for sound design.
It may be possible to just use some other host for sound design and save the presets, but I think you might want Mux to work in Ableton Live. It's pretty popular. Maybe there is some setting that I don't know about?

Found something out. I was running the 32 bit version of Usine as administrator because settings would not save correctly (some security issue). Running it normally (non-admin), the drag drop does work.

I was also running Ableton as administrator (for the same reasons). If I could only figure out how to get these to work correctly non-admin.

Get a command prompt:
  • Start->Run...
    Enter "cmd".
At the prompt, enter "set".
Read through the output for lines like these:

Code: Select all

ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
Install OUTSIDE those directories and you do not need Administrator permission to write to disk. Those directories are protected.

Thanks. I really need to install VST's in a better location.

There is one other thing I found out. The drag-drop issue is caused by explorer.exe (file explorer) running at non-admin and the program running at admin. The non-admin does not get rights to drop on the admin. There was a workaround on the internet to allow explorer.exe to run at admin level (using RegOwnershipEx). This allowed setting up a shortcut for the explorer to run at admin level. When explorer runs at admin level, it can drop on the host running at admin level.

Quite the security pain.

Interesting info, thanks.

Two questions:

So i assume also other plugs will suffer from the same thing in that same situation, right?

I assume i can regard this issue as 'solved' because it's about a security setup issue specific on your system, right?

Other apps would have the same problem.

There is a way to solve it from Mux. Allow Mux to execute/perform the file browsing dialog, then it would run at the same security level. Many of the Mux modules already allow file browsing.

You can consider this issue completed, but maybe add a programming request to add file browsing for drag/drop to the Multisample module.

Thanks

skraninger wrote:There is a way to solve it from Mux. Allow Mux to execute/perform the file browsing dialog, then it would run at the same security level.
I checked the "ShellExecute" info and i'm not sure whether such Windows explorer window would also run at admin level then, even when called from a admin level app/plug. Anyone who knows?

But you could also use MUX own browser: MUX main option button -> Show Browser.
You can drag-drop samples from there to the multi-sampler window.
Does that work for you?

I like possibly others, are awaiting a response from skraninger.

Return to “MUTOOLS”