Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Paljas
KVRer

5 posts since 24 Apr, 2017

Postby Paljas; Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:24 am Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

Hi,

As the subject says. When I turn on my Axiom 61 before I launch Mulab it works OK. Also, if I don't I can fix it by going into the midi configuration menu, where it looks like the Axiom is configured properly (but not working), and cycling through the options until it lands on the same configuration again.

Anyone have the same problem, and is there perhaps a fix?
pljones
KVRAF

6223 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from London, UK

Postby pljones; Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:28 am Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

The simple fix is to have your MIDI devices on to be discovered at the point when MuLab is discovering them - when it starts.
Paljas
KVRer

5 posts since 24 Apr, 2017

Postby Paljas; Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:12 am Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

pljones wrote:The simple fix is to have your MIDI devices on to be discovered at the point when MuLab is discovering them - when it starts.

Sure pljones, and thanks for the quick reply. I mentioned this in my opening post:
Paljas wrote:When I turn on my Axiom 61 before I launch Mulab it works OK.

The world doesn't end, consider it either bug or feature, but it'd be great if you do not have to reinitialize Mulab's midi settings when you turn off/on a midi device.
pljones
KVRAF

Postby pljones; Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:38 am Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

It would be nice if there was a button on the MIDI set up to rescan for ports, though. Reaper has a "Reset all devices" that "attempts" a rescan. I think it's probably been requested before.
Michael L
KVRAF

2311 posts since 25 Jan, 2014, from the End of the World as we Knowit

Postby Michael L; Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:47 am Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

If you open your controller after opening MuLab, wait ~20 seconds then open Midi Setup. Mine is always there on the top of the list-- I never need to go into the menu. Perhaps its because I always leave the top few spaces blank, and have my defaults, interface etc several spaces down so there's no conflict when a new one appears?
nenneb
KVRist

115 posts since 8 Dec, 2015

Postby nenneb; Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:23 am Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

I achieved that too when putting the PC to sleep with MuLab open.
When I wake up the PC again, the connected MIDI-keyboard is not working in MuLab, although it's on before waking the PC. When I enter Midi-Setup it is listed there and after clicking ok it's working well. Not a big problem of course, but not that nice ...
Michael L
KVRAF

Postby Michael L; Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:40 am Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

^^ I never had that sleep-wake problem, but I am on OSX. Do your sleep settings shut off all usb devices?
freddo
KVRist

117 posts since 28 Apr, 2017, from "Me? I live everywhere, or I'd be dead"

Postby freddo; Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:17 am Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

pljones wrote:The simple fix is to have your MIDI devices on to be discovered at the point when MuLab is discovering them - when it starts.

Not all of us have the space to have all our gear laid out in front of ready to use at a moments whim!
What about when working on a project and deciding to plug in a different device to get the sound/effect/control required?
Your simple fix is then useless! Talk about dampening the workflow!!!
What's needed is dynamic monitoring to detect a device as it's plugged in. No if's or but's, that is how it should work! Rest assured, it will likely never happen.
An easily accessible rescan button is the next best thing. Again, will likely never happen. If you're going to add the button, it's not much more to make this dynamically detect a new device surely?
:hihi: :lol:
pljones
KVRAF

Postby pljones; Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:19 am Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

freddo wrote:Rest assured, it will likely never happen. ... Again, will likely never happen.
Huh?
freddo
KVRist

Postby freddo; Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:52 pm Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

Sorry, don't you understand English? For the record, here's what that means...

Well in the last few months I've been trying mulab and visiting this forum, mostly silently, I've seen nothing but great software and lack of support.
I don't mean that in the sense that the dev is unsupportive. I mean that I've seen little support given to new ideas. The response is always the same:
"I'm a lone developer with time restrictions and therefore requests have to be prioritised."

That's not to say I don't understand his predicament, but from an outsiders point of view, that's a bleak outlook on the future of this app!

While other DAW's race ahead with new features etc, mulab will still be lacking in many ways while it's Dev tries hopelessly to keep up. But will ultimately fail due to the lone developer syndrome.

When you look at that repeated, and negative, statement, it means nothing less than:
Slow development and don't expect to have the features you want or need as I'll pick and choose what goes in!"

Apologies if that sounds harsh, but you should know how it sounds. That's how it comes across. That's all I've seen. Yeah there was a poll for the start of the next release but that's the only user choice that gets made.

Sometimes the little things bed up to more than the big features!

With respect, I really hope development increases in some way, somehow, but for me this isn't the software to follow at this time. Hence I haven't yet purchased a license. I've been hoping it will pick up but I see nothing to suggest it will.

I wish you all the best with mulab and hope that maybe one day I can join this forum with more positive outlook.
Michael L
KVRAF

Postby Michael L; Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:31 pm Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

^^^ To each his own. I like that MuLab automatically detects every time I plug in a new midi device AND MuLab gives me the choice of which Ports I want to map the Input and Output-- or none at all. I prefer to make those choices myself.
pljones
KVRAF

Postby pljones; Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 pm Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

freddo wrote:Sorry, don't you understand English? For the record, here's what that means...
and hope that maybe one day I can join this forum with more positive outlook.
Ah, right. That's what I thought.
freddo
KVRist

Postby freddo; Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:44 am Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

Ahh, I see, clearly your a dick!!!
Funny how people like you can't understand constructive criticism, despite not even being the developer!
Also funny how people don't see what's right under their nose isn't it?

What's the point saying it's great how it is when clearly it's not, or there wouldn't be so many FR's popping up!

With respect to the dev, it's pretty clear that he's got more than he can handle or he wouldn't be turning requests down, however politely.
That's my point. Something you seem to be missing. Must be those rose tinted glasses you're wearing!

No doubt the reason people aren't flocking to Mulab is due to this severe problem. Not one that's easily solved, I agree. But it is a problem that is in need of urgent attention.
freddo
KVRist

Postby freddo; Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:55 am Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

pljones wrote:I'd recommend... use MuLab... without paying MuTools anything? the software should have no cost...

Easy to twist what people say isn't it?!
These are several of your own words from your own posts!
mutools
KVRAF

9489 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:18 am Re: Midi in not working if device turned on after starting Mulab

freddo wrote:Ahh, I see, clearly your a dick!!!

Please take this back and apologize to him. Or leave this forum.
Next

Moderators: mutools, muzycian

Return to MUTOOLS