Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Deprekat
KVRer
 
5 posts since 16 Sep, 2017

Postby Deprekat; Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:23 pm MIDI focus

I have multiple modules in a rack and individually assign MIDI mappings to them. I would expect that if I focus a module window, it picks up my MIDI inputs. However, only the topmost module in the rack does. For all other modules below, MIDI inputs are ignored when their windows are open and highlighted.

"Automatic MIDI Input Focus" is on, and the MIDI Input Channel Targets are set to "Focused Module". Either I'm too stupid to understand how the MIDI focus is supposed to work in the first place, or something is broken. One of those two things.

Besides, is it possible to get a list of all controller mappings in a project? I find it easy to lose track of my assignments.

Thanks
User avatar
pljones
KVRAF
 
6244 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from London, UK

Postby pljones; Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:21 pm Re: MIDI focus

Racks are a bit special - they're not completely flexible like a MUX. If the rack or any of its content has focus, signals flow in at the top of the rack and down through a slot's outs to the next lower slot's ins. You can't bypass that. So, if a module in a slot doesn't pass events through, then modules below will not receive them. You can, of course, put that module into a MUX and route events around it.

So, if you don't want Rack routing, then work solely within a MUX or the Session Modular area.

(Similarly, if you insert a module that doesn't pass audio, e.g. the Event Monitor, you won't hear audio from modules above it.)

Having some way to track controller mappings would be handy, if cumbersome (given how flexible the mapping system is).
mutools
KVRAF
 
9528 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:14 pm Re: MIDI focus

Deprekat wrote:I have multiple modules in a rack and individually assign MIDI mappings to them. I would expect that if I focus a module window, it picks up my MIDI inputs. However, only the topmost module in the rack does. For all other modules below, MIDI inputs are ignored when their windows are open and highlighted


First of all let me point to the relevant doc page:
http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/us ... llers.html

Elaborating more on this:

When you have auto focus on then the focus will go to the target module of the focused track.
If that's a rack then the focus goes to the rack and opening sub-module editor windows of that rack will also focus the rack because that's the main focusable object.

If you want to have individual CC mappings per module in a rack then there are 2 options:

1) Using the standard way: All CC mappings will be stored in the main focusable object = in the rack map.
So focusing the rack will activate all CC mappings to all sub-modules of that rack.

2) If for some reason you want more control you can store the CC mappings in the sub-module itself and make sure it can be easily focused individually. The easiest way to do that is to add a track that targets that sub-module.

Hope this helps.
Deprekat
KVRer
 
5 posts since 16 Sep, 2017

Postby Deprekat; Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:10 am Re: MIDI focus

Hi you two,

thanks for the very insightful replies! So I understand that this is expected behavior. Jo, the trick with adding a track to target the module seems to be the easiest, if slightly obscure, way to go about this, thanks for the hint.

The question then is... is it possible to change this? I understand how this comes about, but it seems a little unfortunate to me, given that I can't imagine me being the first person who thought that window focus should also be event focus.

As to the idea about getting all mappings in a project, it could be something like a crawler that goes through all modules and gets their MIDI events, then displays them as a tree. It would certainly be enough if that "scanning" only carried out on user request by the click of a button.

Oh, and another thing, because I just happen to remember it. I love Mulab for its modularity, but sometimes I get somewhat confused about what I could have possibly thought of when building something. I was thinking that some sort of editable text annotation on modules would be useful. Something similar to the pop-up comments you can add to cells in Excel. (Or, probably easier, a new module that is just a text box and can be placed in a modular area.)

All that being said, I'm still impressed that this DAW is a single-man project, and part of why I like it is that certain "underdog" character that comes with it. Very good work, Jo!
mutools
KVRAF
 
9528 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:02 am Re: MIDI focus

Deprekat wrote:the trick with adding a track to target the module seems to be the easiest, if slightly obscure, way to go about this, thanks for the hint.

It's not obscure, imho, it's the standard way. In other words: If you simply use "Map MIDI Controller" everything should work fine as expected without thinking too much.

I understand how this comes about, but it seems a little unfortunate to me, given that I can't imagine me being the first person who thought that window focus should also be event focus.

That would not work well, imho. The reason why is explained on that doc page. If you prefer simple and easy, please use "Map MIDI Controller" and then the mapping will be automatically stored in the proper module ie. the one that is targetted by the track = a module that can easily get MIDI focus. Often that's a rack. Of course maybe i'm missing something, in that case please elaborate.

All that being said, I'm still impressed that this DAW is a single-man project, and part of why I like it is that certain "underdog" character that comes with it. Very good work, Jo!

Thank you. Eager to develop & publish new improved streamlined versions. Working on M8.
Deprekat
KVRer
 
5 posts since 16 Sep, 2017

Postby Deprekat; Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:05 am Re: MIDI focus

That would not work well, imho. The reason why is explained on that doc page. If you prefer simple and easy, please use "Map MIDI Controller" and then the mapping will be automatically stored in the proper module ie. the one that is targetted by the track. Often that's a rack.
Of course maybe i'm missing something, in that case please elaborate.


I don't think you're missing anything, I may just have a different idea of how things should work. In the end I'm bound by what Mulab does, so I'll have to adjust my workflows a bit, I guess. The reason here is that I use a custom-made module with stored MIDI mappings quite often, so rebinding the controllers to the rack each time I load that module would be more work than adding a track to target the module.

Looking forward to M8!
mutools
KVRAF
 
9528 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:00 am Re: MIDI focus

Deprekat wrote:I don't think you're missing anything, I may just have a different idea of how things should work. In the end I'm bound by what Mulab does, so I'll have to adjust my workflows a bit, I guess. The reason here is that I use a custom-made module with stored MIDI mappings quite often, so rebinding the controllers to the rack each time I load that module would be more work than adding a track to target the module.

I understand the case. Well if all rack slots above that loaded module would pass thru unused MIDI CC, it will work nice by focusing the rack. If that's not the case then indeed you need to focus that loaded module itself in some way. I don't see a better way. If, as you say, simply opening an editor would focus the plugin, then what about this: Rack with synth in slot 1, audio effect in slot 2. Rack has focus so playing the MIDI keyboard plays the synth and its audio goes thru the effect. Now you open the audio effect editor, MIDI focus goes to the audio effect, hence playing notes will suddenly not play the synth anymore. Not what we want, right?

NB: You can also quickly MIDI-focus a plugin module by drag-dropping it on the keyboard at the top-right of the main project window. But note that this focus is easily switched again when you click a track or other rack or a plugin editor that belongs to another focusable plugin module.
Deprekat
KVRer
 
5 posts since 16 Sep, 2017

Postby Deprekat; Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:14 pm Re: MIDI focus

mutools wrote:If, as you say, simply opening an editor would focus the plugin, then what about this: Rack with synth in slot 1, audio effect in slot 2. Rack has focus so playing the MIDI keyboard plays the synth and its audio goes thru the effect. Now you open the audio effect editor, MIDI focus goes to the audio effect, hence playing notes will suddenly not play the synth anymore. Not what we want, right?

Interesting. Good question about "Not what we want"... I would totally accept that behaviour, but I see how that is not preferred in general, so I'll go with it. Maybe my use case is just weird, I'm centered around ambient/noise projects so I spend a lot of time tweaking the weirdest audio processing toolchains and not so much actually inputting notes. Looks like I got the short end of the stick here then. :)

But anyway, since you suggested adding a track that targets my modules, I'll go with that option.

Appreciate your support and replies!
mutools
KVRAF
 
9528 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:58 pm Re: MIDI focus

Deprekat wrote:But anyway, since you suggested adding a track that targets my modules, I'll go with that option.

You can also drag-drop the module on the keyboard at the top-right, that will also temporarily set MIDI focus to that module.

Another way = Add a shortcut to "Play From MIDI Input".
Then use it this way: Click on a rack slot name and press that shortcut.
That will also temporarily set MIDI focus to that module. (module name becomes bold)
mutools
KVRAF
 
9528 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:04 pm Re: MIDI focus

Ps: I forgot to link another relevant doc page: http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/ ... board.html
Deprekat
KVRer
 
5 posts since 16 Sep, 2017

Postby Deprekat; Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:24 pm Re: MIDI focus

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks!

Moderators: muzycian, mutools

Return to MUTOOLS