Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
PhysicsFighter
KVRer

10 posts since 2 Sep, 2017

Postby PhysicsFighter; Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:41 am Audio Crash Bug (Cannot export)

Hello!
As any bug report goes, here is my system:
  • Intel Core i5 4690k (no overclock) with NZXT Kraken X41 Liquid cooler
  • ASUS Z-97a Motherboard
  • 16gb of Corsair Vengeance Blue RAM
  • Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 gpu with correct drivers
  • 250 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD (all music software, samples, and VSTs are on the HDD)
  • Corsair CX750M PSU
  • Windows 10 Pro v1709 64bit build 16299.334
And the VSTS I was using on MuLab 7.7.4 64bit running on "Rather RAM based 3" quality (all VSTs are .dll 64bit versions):
  • Serum (v1.214 with anthracite fire skin, normally with default 2x osc quality, I set these to 4x for exporting)
  • SerumFX
  • Limiter6 v1.0.2b
  • The Tonebooster EQ3 (v 3.16)
  • Sonic Anomaly Transpire (a transient editor, build 170907)
  • Voxengo SPAN v3.1
  • Tonebooster Ferox (analog emulation distortion/compression,v3.16)
  • OrilRiver reverb (v2.0.3 BETA)
  • Venn Audio Freeclip distortion V0.9.2 Beta
  • Wave Arts Tubesaturator Vintage V1.05
  • Helm v0.9.0
All software is owned and registered by me and nothing was pirated.
This is a big project, but with just it and firefox open I am only using 43% CPU on average. The project runs smoothly (~85% cpu use) even with large GIMP projects (for album art), games, discord, MediaMonkey, Malwarebytes, Keepass, CCleaner, and firefox (with many more tabs open on than I have open currently running) all at once.

The Issue:
When exporting or playing the project, I have all instruments routed into 3 busses before the Mulab audio output: a volume control rack with nothing on it that is automated at the beggining, end, and at each drop, a MASTER rack, with 3 eqs (The tb eq is not as flexible as I would like) and a Limiter6, and a VIS rack that is turned off, but has many different visualization VSTs (SPAN, Dust Analyzer (for spectrograph), MVmeter (for VU-based volume display), Ozone Imager (stereo visualization), Youlean Loudness Meter, and ISOL8 (for testing other speaker simulations)). Occasionally, when either playing or exporting the full project, no matter how many other programs are running, the MASTER rack, which is always sub-0 dbfs, spikes to "200," though I imagine it is reading infinite, as the volume stops being played by my speakers, and if it is exporting, crashes mulab. I can fix this by simply turning the rack off and on again (along with the VIS rack, though it was disabled anyway during export), but this is not possible or feasible when exporting the project, as, if I was able to do this, the exporter would have already crashed. The cpu and ram don't appear to spike when this happens and my speakers simply stop playing audio. I have tried to export about 4-5 times, with many applications open, none, and, most recently, after a restart with no non-essential processes running (according to task manager), and each time, at either about 20-30% through exporting or 70-80% through, the master shows 200dbfs and crashes mulab. How do I fix this?
PhysicsFighter
KVRer

Postby PhysicsFighter; Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:43 am Re: Audio Crash Bug (Cannot export)

Oh ya, and it was at 108bpm, 129 bars long (4:45), and had 26 total racks, including MASTER, VIS, volume, and the 2 sidechains.
pljones
KVRAF

6147 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from London, UK

Postby pljones; Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:14 am Re: Audio Crash Bug (Cannot export)

You only get the issue with this one project? Have you tried isolating any of the third-party VSTs to see if the crash is more or less likely?
PhysicsFighter
KVRer

Postby PhysicsFighter; Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:15 am Re: Audio Crash Bug (Cannot export)

I'll try that
PhysicsFighter
KVRer

Postby PhysicsFighter; Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:50 am Re: Audio Crash Bug (Cannot export)

When I turned off every EQ it played through without issue twice, I'll see if I can upgrade the eq
PhysicsFighter
KVRer

Postby PhysicsFighter; Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:20 pm Re: Audio Crash Bug (Cannot export)

That didn't work, though it improved the mix :P (I am now on Toneboosters EQ 4.0.7)
PhysicsFighter
KVRer

Postby PhysicsFighter; Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:57 pm Re: Audio Crash Bug (Cannot export)

Based on my tests, the crashes are due to either the eq or buss compressor in the master buss, not any of the VSTs. Both the eq (Toneboosters EQ 4.0.7) and compressor (Limiter6 v1.0.2b) are used extensively throughout the project, on every single instrument, in fact, and when the plugins are disabled on the master, it works fine. But when either is on in the master chain, whether in a rack, alone in the modular view, or in a MUX, they cause the audio freeze problem (it was only up to 80db, not 200 as I said earlier). Why are these plugins only breaking it on the master?
mutools
KVRAF

9405 posts since 24 Jun, 2008, from Europe

Postby mutools; Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:14 am Re: Audio Crash Bug (Cannot export)

There is no special "master" in MuLab, that's a user concept, i mean, it's the user who defines his mix desk.

Moderators: mutools, muzycian

Return to MUTOOLS