Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
nichttuntun
KVRist

473 posts since 21 Nov, 2017

Postby nichttuntun; Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:40 am Mux modular / OSC and general questions of a potential buyer

Hi, I am getting really interested in that system but there are so few informations out there so I have some questions left.

How many OSCs can you run simultaneous and can they all modulate each other? Can I build something like an 8 operator PD or FM synth with free routed carrier and modulator design?

In what ways can you modulate the OSCs?

Are LFOs working in audio rate?

Is MUX modular continuously developed further? Can you expect new modules from time to time?

Works in Cubase8 windows7 64bit as a VST?

Does it have an OSC which produces harmonics for additive synthesis?

Can you make totally crazy modulation madness stuff for sound design and completely wierd and ugly things?

Does it have a special character? What do you say where lies it speciality against other modular synth like ZEBRA 2? What makes MUX different?

Can I install offline without an online validation with a simple serial number and no further hassle?

Sorry to ask so much but I only found so few infos on the net. Thank you a lot in advance.
jpumphandle
KVRist

337 posts since 5 Aug, 2006, from St. Louis

Postby jpumphandle; Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:15 am Re: Mux modular / OSC and general questions of a potential buyer

I would suggest you download the MUX and give it a try. This should answer all your questions and you may find a few surprises. Doesn't require a serial number to try, just comes with a soft noise every once in awhile.
nichttuntun
KVRist

Postby nichttuntun; Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:29 am Re: Mux modular / OSC and general questions of a potential buyer

jpumphandle wrote:I would suggest you download the MUX and give it a try. This should answer all your questions and you may find a few surprises. Doesn't require a serial number to try, just comes with a soft noise every once in awhile.

Good idea thank you. But when I buy... do I need something to do like online validation or have a dongle or is a serial input enough like in all U-he products? Thank you in advance.
dakkra
KVRian

858 posts since 4 Oct, 2012, from Utah
Licensing is currently done via serial key authorization. You'll get an initial key (which times out and it temporary) when you purchase the license so you can use the MUX immediately. Shortly after you will be emailed your personal license key which will allow you to use that major version of MUX indefinitely.

Hope this answers your question,

Dakkra
dakkra
KVRian

858 posts since 4 Oct, 2012, from Utah
nichttuntun wrote:How many OSCs can you run simultaneous and can they all modulate each other? Can I build something like an 8 operator PD or FM synth with free routed carrier and modulator design?

Technically unlimited so long as your computer can handle it. I've been using MUXfor years and haven't git any limitations.
In what ways can you modulate the OSCs?

AM, RM, FM, PM, and with MFO, PD, Hard Sync, Wave Tabling, Spectral Distortions, and some others I can't remember off the top of my head.
See http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/mu ... dules.html
and http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/multiformosc.html
Are LFOs working in audio rate?

No, but you can use an oscillator for that. LFO's go up to 20hz (They can go faster if you tempo sync them, but that's a niche thing).
Is MUX modular continuously developed further? Can you expect new modules from time to time?

Yes. Six year user of Mulab (which contains MUX) and updates are very consistent.
Works in Cubase8 windows7 64bit as a VST?

Should work in any VST2 host.
Does it have an OSC which produces harmonics for additive synthesis?

Oscillators have a sub-menu in which you can use drawbars to create harmonics. See http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mux/mu ... dules.html
Can you make totally crazy modulation madness stuff for sound design and completely wierd and ugly things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns_1vu0ys98
Yes 8)
Does it have a special character? What do you say where lies it speciality against other modular synth like ZEBRA 2? What makes MUX different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqrbxUZkKYM

It tends to be more harmonically rich than other digital synthesizers I use, especially when using filters. It can sometimes be frustrating when I want a clean or "pure" digital sounds, but it's not so dramatic that you can't sound design with it. I actually prefer using MUX for bass lines as a result.
Can I install offline without an online validation with a simple serial number and no further hassle?

Correct. See my above post.
nichttuntun
KVRist

Postby nichttuntun; Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:53 am Re: Mux modular / OSC and general questions of a potential buyer

Thank you dakkra for your detailed information. :tu:

I tried out the demo version for appr. 2 hours what isn't much for a modular synth. I have to say that I am impressed with the OSC possibilities alone. FM sounds good too what is a great thing. I tried the presets and instrument templates. The TaifunkVCO3 is crazy. No idea how to build such an instrument :)

I don't quite know yet. It has so many options. It reminded me instantly on the instruments of Melda Production what is a good thing. The look and the modulation screen are good designed and you always have a good overview over everything. The cable situation is sometimes overwhelming. I didn't find a setup to change the layout or cable behaviour.

I think the modules themselves could have some more modulation inputs. Often they have only 2 or 3 modulation sources to offer but I think in sum that's okay. It's cool that a LFO can be modulated by an LFO which can be modulated by an LFO and so on. That's great fun. I didn't find any limitations in using multiple instances of modules.

All in all I don't know if I will ever understand such a full modular system in all aspects. I watched behind the TaifunkVCO3 and...wow... oh my gosh ;).

Soundwise it's good but it lacks a bit of character for me. But I am spoiled by so many great VSTs and hardware synth. The CPU hit is very small even in FM- patches with multiple chords played and sustain pedal on... and that is my feeling about the sound. But I like the idea of the synth and the layout. I'll have to test a bit further.

Are there user templates for download?

Cheers
pljones
KVRAF

6244 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from London, UK
See the MuLib topic for details of shared user contributions.

Moderators: muzycian, mutools

Return to MUTOOLS