Using pitchbend and mod wheel on Device loaded in MUX

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I have found that that the pitch wheel and mod wheel messages from my keyboard are not read by whatever VST device I have loaded in the MUX patch space.

How can I make these work, do I need to route the pitch/mod functions to some other Module and then map the pitch and mod wheel CC to it?

thank you.

s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

thank you! going through the manual but had not read that section yet.

Are project wide mappings available for MUX modular or only Mulab?

Reason I ask is, the mod wheel and pitch wheel would serve the same function every time.

zooterman wrote:I have found that that the pitch wheel and mod wheel messages from my keyboard are not read by whatever VST device I have loaded in the MUX patch space.
That's strange, it should work. Please show in more detail what you're doing. Maybe best to share a screenshot/video/MUX patch.

mutools wrote:
zooterman wrote:I have found that that the pitch wheel and mod wheel messages from my keyboard are not read by whatever VST device I have loaded in the MUX patch space.
That's strange, it should work. Please show in more detail what you're doing. Maybe best to share a screenshot/video/MUX patch.

I was using the VST inside a rack component, so I had to drag the mod parameter to a meta-parameter and then map the mod wheel to it. It worked :)
(but before the MUX wrapper box at the top of the vst was not responding to tweaking the target parameter so I could not drag&drop to a meta-parameter).

I do have one more question - with regards to the step sequencer. I try to have a separate event input for the step sequencer than my main 'event input 1'. Event Input 1 is receiving sequenced MIDI notes from my host (Cubase), while I am attaching a completely different instrument to 'event input 2' with a step sequencer controlling that. I want event input 2 to receive MIDI from my played notes - not sure if this is possible?

My conclusion was that there is only one event input source per instance of MUX Modular.

Thankyou.

zooterman wrote:I was using the VST inside a rack component
Pitchbend and MIDI CC should come thru fine. Unless you would have inserted another plugin module in that rack which would block/use these events. Easy to check by inserting a Event Monitor module jut before the synth slot.
I do have one more question - with regards to the step sequencer. I try to have a separate event input for the step sequencer than my main 'event input 1'. Event Input 1 is receiving sequenced MIDI notes from my host (Cubase), while I am attaching a completely different instrument to 'event input 2' with a step sequencer controlling that. I want event input 2 to receive MIDI from my played notes - not sure if this is possible?
A generic answer that applies to all modules: If you only see one event input on a module and the module has not extra options menu or right-click context menu with a menu option to manage the number of inputs, then you can conclude there only is a single fixed event input.

So concrete answer: No that's not possible.
My conclusion was that there is only one event input source per instance of MUX Modular.
Indeed, that's how VST 2 works.

With regard to the step sequencer issue, would using a different midi channel not solve it ?
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

mutools wrote:
zooterman wrote:I was using the VST inside a rack component
Pitchbend and MIDI CC should come thru fine. Unless you would have inserted another plugin module in that rack which would block/use these events. Easy to check by inserting a Event Monitor module jut before the synth slot.

I understand. However I still cannot get the pitch/mod wheel send message to the instrument (inside a rack). The event monitor shows 'general purpose slider' incoming messages even though I have no idea what this is and I do not press anything.

Throughout this video I tried at different parts to move the mod/pitch wheels and it was not received. please see:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qKZWy ... sgLKz4Coev

If the event monitor shows General Purpose Slider (that's one of the 128 MIDI CCs, please see MIDI definition) then that's what's coming in. You might have to check what your keyboard is sending out, or what the host DAW does with it before it reaches MUX VST.

When plugin in a rack in MUX VST and then plugin in a VST synth in that rack, then that VST synth should react fine on pitch bend and mod wheel as MUX properly thrus these events in that case. (the effect may depend on what the VST synth does with those events)

mutools wrote:If the event monitor shows General Purpose Slider (that's one of the 128 MIDI CCs, please see MIDI definition) then that's what's coming in. You might have to check what your keyboard is sending out, or what the host DAW does with it before it reaches MUX VST.

When plugin in a rack in MUX VST and then plugin in a VST synth in that rack, then that VST synth should react fine on pitch bend and mod wheel as MUX properly thrus these events in that case. (the effect may depend on what the VST synth does with those events)

OK thank you.

side note - some of the color changes I make do not save with the preset? e.g. menu background and text color, general text color of the app. Known issue?

The color preferences are global for all MUX VST instances. It's a user setting, it's not per patch.

mutools wrote:The color preferences are global for all MUX VST instances. It's a user setting, it's not per patch.
Indeed. But some of them are misbehaving e.g. the menu background color is not remaining the next instance you open MUX, and also the text color of the buttons (e.g. "Done") and the general text color (e.g. "Meta-parameter 1"..)

Wondering if you can reproduce?

It's important for me due to my eyesight... thank you

Please try this:

* Make sure you have only 1 single MUX instance
* Change the color preferences as you wish
* When done, quit your host DAW
* Restart host DAW and insert a MUX instance

Are color prefs ok?

mutools wrote:Please try this:

* Make sure you have only 1 single MUX instance
* Change the color preferences as you wish
* When done, quit your host DAW