Silent Way/ES-3/SQ-10

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there!
I'd like to sync Cubase 6 (master) with my Korg SQ-10 sequencer (slave) using the "Sync" plugin. I have an ES-3 interface. I tried different settings but unsuccessfully. There must be something that I don't know...
Any advice is very very appreciated!

Looks like the SQ-10 expects inverted inputs, so you'd want to reverse the 0.0/1.0 settings for both the clock and run signals in the Sync plug-in.

Hi OS!
Yes, I think you are right. But inverting the settings on the plugin interface doesn't solve the problem. There must be something more...
I have these 2 issues:
1) I cannot sync the speed of the sequencer which is still controlled by the corresponding pot of the SQ-10
2) I cannot use the Start/Stop function properly: I need to hit twice Start and twice Stop to obtain Start and Stop; so, i.e., if the sequencer is running and I hit Stop, even if Cubase has stopped the SQ-10 is still running and viceversa.
Now I found a trick but I don't know if this is OK (please let me know if I am doing something wrong):
Instead of using the "Sync" plugin to generate Start/Stop and Speed information, I am using the "Trigger" plugin connected to a mono out of the ES-3; the output of the ES-3 is connected with the input of the SQ-10 called "Step". The SQ-10 is in Step mode. Everything seems to work fine so far. I noticed that modifying the plugin controls I can generate some rhythmic effects. I still didn't check if Cubase and the SQ-10 are perfectly in sync. I will try this afternoon and post here.
Any advice is, as always, very very appreciated.

That would work.

Which input(s) of the SQ-10 were you using with the Sync plug-in? The "Step" input would be the one to connect the plug-in's clock output to.

Hello!

Clock connected to the "Step" input doesn't do the job.

At the moment the best solution seems to be:

SW-Trigger plugin -> SQ-10 Step input
SW-Sync plugin (Clock) -> SQ-10 Reset Trigger In

SQ-10 is set on Step (of course).

So every time Cubase is reset to 0, SQ-10 is reset to 0 too.

The problem is that the SQ-10 Reset Trigger In is used to limit the sequence to lees han 12 steps (i.e. 8 ). It's possible to have another SW-Trigger plugin sending a reset i.e. every 8 steps, it works, but then you cannot sync Cubase with SQ-10 (Cubase is in sync but SQ-10 starts from whatever step it was stopped while Cubase starts from 0).

On the SQ-10 there is an "Analog Mixer" (IN1 + IN2 = OUT): I was hoping that this can do the job (mix the reset signal coming from i.e. SQ-10 Step 8 and the one coming form SW-Sync (Clock)... but it doesn't work.

Mmmmm... there must be a better solution...

Return to “Expert Sleepers”