midi mapping Augustus Loop delay time slider in Ableton Live (for use with Lemur on iPad)

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi,

I'm trying to set up a midi mapping so that I can control AL's delay time slider with Lemur. Using midi learn, Live picks up the mapping but when I move the slider on my controller (Lemur) it doesn't control the delay time slider properly. I only get the extreme values (ie, either all the way to the left or all the way to the right) with nothing in between. Can you help?

By the way, I would rather use OSC than MIDI for higher resolution but I can't make head nor tail of the manual for using OSC. For someone new to setting up this stuff it's very complicated!!

thanks

hi, I think I've figured out what's happening here...

It seems the mapped control can only reflect the full range between 0 and 3600 seconds. I had set my max to 30 seconds and wanted the fader to represent the values between 0 and 30. Is this possible?

Thanks!!

You'd want to control the delay slider via MIDI CC 12 (as per the manual).

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes, I've mapped the delay slider to CC12 but I still have the same problem. The control that I've set up is scaling to the full range (0 - 3600) but I have the slider in the plugin set to reflect my chosen max delay of 30 seconds. I want the control on the Lemur to scale to this range. Is it possible to do this?
thanks!

You can't use Live's MIDI learn for this. You have to send the MIDI CC directly to the plug-in.

ah, that's where I'm going wrong then. I used the CC numbers from the manual but I still had to midi learn all the parameters to get it working. How do I send the CC directly to the plugin?
Thanks!

Open up a MIDI track, set its input to wherever the MIDI's coming from, set its output to the plug-in. Set the monitoring mode to On.

thanks os, I'll try it :-)

hi os, I managed to get this working and now have control over the delay slider as I wanted. I still have to midi learn parameters to get two-way midi communication with Lemur but I can live without 2-way for the delay slider.

I now have an additional question. I am trying to map the tap delay's so that I can select rhythmically useful values (25, 50, 75 etc). I initially tried using a grid on a fader so that the values were stepped in 5 increments (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) but the values do not correspond exactly with the delay times I want (increment 1 shows as 25.2 instead of 25, increment 3 as 50.39 instead of 50 and increment 4 as 74.8 instead of 75). Which means the timing is out of course! So I think I may need to use a script. I need to know exactly what values to send to the plugin to be able to get clean 25, 50 and 75 on the delay time taps.

I hope I've explained myself clearly and that you can help!

Thanks

You would set the exact values you want e.g. 25, 50, 75. The trick is writing the script to translate incoming MIDI CCs to those values.

But given you're using a Lemur would OSC not be easier? Using registerOSCPathForParameter() would be easiest (see the docs).

Ok, I've had a look at the OSC control section of the manual but I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do to set it up. Can you explain it in simple terms? I'm a bit lost!

Mac or Windows?

Windows

Bump for some help setting this up please!

Make an empty text file.

Add script e.g.

registerOSCPathForParameter( "/1/fader1", "Pitch" )

Save as "something.lua" in

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Expert Sleepers\Augustus Loop\Scripts

Turn on OSC in the plug-in (see the manual).

Set up the Lemur to send to the address/port your have AL listening on.

Set up your control to send to the OSC path in your script ("/1/fader1" in the example above).

Return to “Expert Sleepers”