Problem getting MIDI to work with ES-4 and ESX-8GT

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How do I need to set up the ES-4 Controller software to make MIDI out work? I don't see any tutorials anywhere on how to get it going.

I am receiving signals on the ES-4 and the ESX-8GT - I just can't seem to get any MIDI out of the ESX-8GT to control my synth.

Thanks,
Todd

Did you read the user manual?

Are you using a DJ-1000 cable adaptor?

I did read the manual, and I do have a DJ-1000 cable adapter. Here is a video showing what's happening:

http://youtu.be/O3UiAY73SAw

Let's sanity check the ESX-8GT. Using the Outputs 1 knob in the ES-4 Controller, manually enter the values

in turn. Each should light just one LED on the expander, in sequence.

Yes, that does work. When I put those values in, each light lights up as you say. No midi though yet. I tested my DJ-1000 cable with a multimeter. It shows good connection to the 2nd and 4th pins on the midi jack, so it should be good. I tested my midi cable, and it works perfectly...

OK, promising.

You do want to turn off MIDI/CV 1 as you did later in your video.

You probably won't see much on the LED when it's sending MIDI, unless you e.g. send lots of controller or pitch bend data.

Are you running at 48kHz? If not, that would be something to try.

I have tried at both 48khz, and at 192khz. I tried 192khz because I am doing some experimenting with producing projects at super high sample rates. Anyway, it doesn't work at either rate.

It won't work at 192kHz but 96kHz would be worth a try.

What MIDI device(s) are you trying to drive?

I am trying to get it working with a Roland mks-70. My mks-70 works fine when connected to a standard midi interface.

Good news! It's working! :)

Ok - I don't know what the problem was before... maybe the sample rate wasn't switching correctly. Anyway - I got everything switching right. It works at 48kHz through 96kHz. It does NOT work at 192kHz - so you are correct about that.

Anyway, thank you for the help in walking through these things. I am happy - time to make some music!

-Todd

Hurrah!

I can make it work at 192kHz if that's important to you.

Possibly so... How?

I'd just need to update the code.

If it is a relatively easy fix for you, that would be wonderful :) Much appreciation! Now that is some good service!
:love:

Return to “Expert Sleepers”