Silent Way and Antelope Orion32 Interface

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am considering upgrading to an Antelope Orion32 http://antelopestore.com/ad-da-interfac ... erter.html, and was wondering whether Silent Way is likely to be compatible.
Could anyone confirm or deny?

If you're asking "is it DC coupled" I would guess not, but Antelope would be able to tell you for sure.

So I bought the Orion32, and it doesn't appear to work with Silent Way. Antelope have not answered my question as to whether this is DC coupled :(
I don't have a modular, just enough synths to need to CV them. If I bought an ES-1, and connected it up to one of the D-subs, would I be able to power this with a standard +/-15v adaptor? I can then mount the unit at the bottom of my patchbay, and feed the inputs to there for patching etc, or some similar arrangement.

That would work, but since the Orion has an ADAT output, I would strongly recommend the ES-3 as a better choice.

Thanks for your replies! I could use the ADAT output, but my desk is 20 channels, so I have some spare outputs on the Orion for the moment and a spare D-sub breakout cable. What advantages does the ES-3 have which would make it a better choice for me? And that said what advantage does the ES-1 have over me making the modified cables (its page says its more sophisticated but I don't understand how)? Is it that I don't need to use the AC Encoder plugin? Thanks again, Tom

You don't need the AC Encoder with the ES-3. It will also give you a cleaner, wider range signal with less setup. It will output audio as well as CVs.

With the ES-1 you'll need the AC Encoder. With the modified cables, you'll get a weaker signal, and you have no way to generate negative voltages.

Ah right. That explains it. I do need -ve voltages for at least one of my devices. I'll have a think about the cost between the ES-1s and ES-3s and work out which to buy in due course. Thanks.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”