ES-8 expansion confusion

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i gotta say that the ES-8 expansion option info is scattered and not exactly easy to understand. is there a diagram or post somewhere that explains it all in a concise manner? it would help to dispel my cognitive dissonance and allow me to spend my money easier on your products. and thats a good thing, right? i would prefer not to search for someone willing to explain (nobody seems to know).

i basically want to use all inputs and outputs possible with an ES-8 plus expansions.

thanks

Simplest expansion options are ES-3 (8 more outputs) and ES-6 (six more inputs). Add an ES-7 to the ES-6 for 2 more inputs.

After that you could add an ES-5 and the ESX expanders but you may or may not want to go that far.

ok so does the es-3 facilitate CV/gate/trigger/clock as well as audio?

i mean i get it that you add the es3 and es6 and es7 and then the es8 has as many ins and outs as advertised (16 out and 12 in) but its unclear if those are also cv capable or audio only, and after adding those modules, adding more will exceed the i/o spec of the es8? no? and all with different version numbers... it would be great to see a diagram like an onscreen modular UI where its clear where those modules actually make a hardware connection to each other etc. do you see my confusion? please spell it out for me.

ES-3, 6, 7, & 8 all do audio or CV. By CV is meant any CV, which includes gates, triggers, clocks etc.

There's a useful diagram for understanding how the ES-5 enters the picture here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90403

ok some good infos there. thank you!

BTW i think your product is amazing so far!

Hi there OS...continued to be amazed by your work and stellar accessibility for help.

I am wondering, to expand the ES-8 with more inputs do I need to get an ES-3 or can I just connect an ES-6 to the ES-8 directly?

You can connect the ES-6 to the ES-8 directly (via ADAT and its ribbon cable - both are required).

I have done so, but for some reason things aren't showing up within ableton. Inputs 1-4 (the ES-8's) are working just fine as usual, but the ADAT inputs are not. The LEDs are lighting as they should on the ES-6, but still no dice. I see no way to change any options either within a/m setup or within Ableton.

Have you enabled inputs 5-12 in Live's prefs?

Indeed I have. Not sure what's gone wrong. I will keep at it. Will update you if any progress is made. Thanks as always for being so responsive os.

Is your case OK for power?

No issues thus far with any modules in my ER noobishness....using TT Mantis cases.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”