[FR] MIDI Learn on Silent Way

Official support for: expertsleepers.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys. Long time SW user. I appreciate getting VST3 knocked out for us Cubase users. Any chance you could put MIDI Learn functionality on the dev radar?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Would that be something different to that offered by SW Learner?

os wrote:Would that be something different to that offered by SW Learner?
Not sure, I’ll check. Maybe I have what I want and didn’t even know it. Thanks.

Ok, thanks for pointing me that way but I don’t think that’s what I want. However, I wasn’t very precise. So. I’ll try again. If Idon’t understand learner, I’m all ears.

I primarily use Voice. I want to map my key lab to do live control of the Voice parameters. I.e. keylab sliders to EGs 1 and 2 controls. I don’t see a way to use my MIDI controller to control the SW Voice parameters.

Is that not just a feature of the DAW? Certainly is in e.g. Live.

os wrote:Is that not just a feature of the DAW? Certainly is in e.g. Live.
no

I know what quick controls are. That's not what i want to do. I want MIDI Learn on each control.

If that's something the plug-in has to implement specially for Cubase, then it's not in Silent Way currently.

os wrote:If that's something the plug-in has to implement specially for Cubase, then it's not in Silent Way currently.
I don't understand what you are asking? It has nothing to do with Cubase. It would be nice if SW Voice allowed MIDI Learn for its parameters ... like a lot of other synths and plugins do. First, it would be DAW agnostic. 2nd QC are far too limited when you have multiple plugins on a track and the QC are tied up with regular channel stuff.

Maybe I can explain further, and maybe there is another work around.

I have an Arturia Keylab as my main MIDI keyboard controller on my desk. It has 9 faders, broken into 2 ADSR and a Volume ... or of course a traditional 9 drawbar setup. For what I'm doing, it's the 2 x ADSR that interests me.

I have an Aurora 8 channel interface where I have channels 3->8 Out normalled in my patchbay to my modular.
SW Voice is a default track in every template I've ever created. LOVE THAT PLUGIN!!!!

However, there is no simple method to use the faders on my Keylab to control the ADSR stages of EG 1/2 of SW Voice.
The Keylab also has 10 encoders that I would like to assign to various knobs on Voice. That's 18 CC assignments ... and I haven't even talked about bank two :)

os wrote:If that's something the plug-in has to implement specially for Cubase, then it's not in Silent Way currently.
By the way, it's not for Cubase and I was pretty sure it didn't already exist which is why I started this Feature Request thread :)

It is for Cubase. In every other DAW the solution is either built into the DAW, or is provided by SW Learner. But SW Learner doesn't work in Cubase 9 because Steinberg hobbled the VST3 spec to disallow MIDI messages being sent to plug-ins. Go figure.

So if this is to be provided in Cubase 9, extra work needs to be done to Silent Way. Which is not to say it won't happen - just that it's lower on the priority list than work that benefits everyone.

os wrote:It is for Cubase. In every other DAW the solution is either built into the DAW, or is provided by SW Learner. But SW Learner doesn't work in Cubase 9 because Steinberg hobbled the VST3 spec to disallow MIDI messages being sent to plug-ins. Go figure.

So if this is to be provided in Cubase 9, extra work needs to be done to Silent Way. Which is not to say it won't happen - just that it's lower on the priority list than work that benefits everyone.
It just dawned on me that you used the multi-plugin wrapper that is no longer supported either. I forgot about that. Although, I thought you could get around the direct MIDI implementation issue for plugins.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”