Post your wishlist for SampleTank 3

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My wishlist:

1. Look at Omnisphere and compete directly with it in terms of the engine and features

2. Now look at Kontakt as well as the now defunct Gigasampler and compete with those too, making sure to include...
2A. Sample/instrument creation (do this, and I'll sample my Rhodes)
2B. Round-robbin support
2C. Key-switching
2D. Scripting
2E. Disk-Streaming

3. Gig, Soundfont, and SFZ support

Full VSTi parameter automation
- not just 6 fixed paramters per channel
- no more "MIDI Ctl" (especially as adjusting any value on that window locks up my PC!)
- MIDI channel-based
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Please consider upgrading the sound search feature - maybe using some simple database instead of brute force searches through the file system. The search feature crashes on me frequently.

Support for Multicore and x64.

1. More synthesis functions. It would be nice for each patch to have an extra VA oscillator; this could let you do hard sync, fm, ring modulation, and so on. Perhaps a few more lfos and envelopes, too.

2. Better sample import.

3. More sample-mangling options. Modulationg sample start point and loop position would be great. The latter could let you scan through a string of single-cycle waves like the PPG and some Ensoniq synths. Maybe even some wave sequencing.

4. Sub-hosting of VST effects.

5. Separate outputs for the Send and Master effects.

I'm sure I could think of more, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

I would really like to have the COMBI NAME bug fixed. As it is, if you have a Combi pulled up and you're working with it, the minute you close the GUI to work on something else, you lose the COMBI name and often have to guess what it was so you can continue to work on it.

Wild card wishes:

1) Arpeggiator with random. There's tons of synth sounds represented in the 'powered by SampleTank' line. An good arp would go a long way toward making them behave like synth sounds.

2) Built in drum sequencer. I currently have, oh..., about a million really cool drumkits in ST. And a lot of them are in IMAP format which, unfortunately will not get used because IMAP midi files are hard to come by and conversion is difficult at best. On-board seq. would rock.

3) Gate sequencer. See No. 1 above.

That. Is. All.
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

This is very easy - make it a programmable instrument, and look at Emulator X2, Kontakt 3, Omnisphere and Wusikstation (it's a bargain but it's a great synth sample player. Those are the ones you should study carefully. Try to pack as many features of these as you can. Some are really very important, like key switching, round robin, HD stream, etc. And a better synth engine, with more modulations, more filters, more envelopes (with the option of both ADSR and multi-segment), more LFO's, etc.
Fernando (FMR)

am I the only one who thinks a big part of the user experience is the interface?
Three you mentioned above have way better gui's than ST2. and two of them have superior GUI's to ST2.

Part of what makes omnisphere such a great synthesizer is the UI and I believe you will find several post with Eric and Glenn commenting on how important the UI was for them in developing and how much thought went into it.
I rarely use SS2 and ST2 because of the interface. it is small, cramped, small fonts, poorly laid out imho, hard to navigate etc......ST3 shoudl being with a complete rewrite of the GUI.....
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I love its simplicity and would like to see it remain that way, but would like to see:

1. random pitch on note trigger by set amount. Useful for adding some depth/realism when building single channel combis.
2. Scala based Microtuner.
3. Batch import of single wav instruments.
4. Reverse sample.
5. Adjustable sample start Point.
6. Hold before Env attack.

Andy

I guess I am the only one then.
rsp

I do like the layout, it feels very logical and quick to work with, that's what impressed me the most, but I very much doubt you are on your own as everyone's brain is wired completely differently :)

I can't get along with the NI interfaces, they don't feel logical to me. Sampletank I find extremely easy to use without reading the manual, I value that more than gloss or hi-tech graphics (which ST doesn't have).

yes as you say everyone brain is different but for me it isn't like a bordering line issue.. For me it isn't like,hmmmm it is okayish and could use some improvement......for me it is horrible.. I think I found at least one other person who thnks that :-)
rsp

Astralp wrote:I do like the layout, it feels very logical and quick to work with, that's what impressed me the most, but I very much doubt you are on your own as everyone's brain is wired completely differently :)

I can't get along with the NI interfaces, they don't feel logical to me. Sampletank I find extremely easy to use without reading the manual, I value that more than gloss or hi-tech graphics (which ST doesn't have).
The big issue is finding its niche.

Perhaps it can't compete in the comprehensive way single instrument libraries (like Scarbee basses, LPC, the Strad) are set up, but maybe it should try.

Maybe, for at least one top end instrument it should have large articulations and keyswitches. It can't do that for every instruments, but maybe for a certain number of instruments (10-15).

I think 64 bit compatability is the way to go. In fact, this might allow Sampltank 3 to break out. If it can provide extremely high quality samples with full articulations and keyswtiching for a large range of instruments, for use in a 64 bit environment, this might put it ahead of the pack.

Of course, this is tall order.

jeffn1
To Hear Original Instrumental "Progtronic Rock" Music, go to:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0rPidJwBYGmKZFUV4joAKN

Astralp wrote:Sampletank I find extremely easy to use without reading the manual, I value that more than gloss or hi-tech graphics (which ST doesn't have).
While I agree with zvnex about the look of ST, I still find it easy to use. Couldn't we make it a little easier to read?

I don't have trouble with the size but I only work at 1280 so I can imagine it would be very difficult at higher resolutions.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”