Four New Drum Kit Products for BFD2 Coming Soon!

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Moeb wrote:Hi,

I was searching Google for help with not be being able the account page and I found this thread.

I have done today but I can't access my account page to get the serial :(
Please email support (at) esoundz (dot) com or even better do a support ticket on www.esoundz.com after you login. Either way we'll get you sorted no worries.

I read an interview where Ken basically said some of the kits were created to be close approximations of his classic drum sounds. If that's accurate, which pack would cover the Ziggy Stardust drum sound? I love the drum sounds on that record and wouldn't mind a BFD version.

brazilian_samba wrote:Thanks again, Ashley. Very helpful.

My last concern is about the cymbals, especially the crashes. Dynamically speaking, they play very inconsistent, like humanize velocity set all the way up. No matter what i try, i can't fix it.
Any thoughts on that?

When using the latest build of BFD2 (2.0.3.38) if one turns VelRnd all the way down (for the crash cymbals) and leaves Anti Machine Gun checked, the cymbals will not randomize. However, since you are using ECO, there is no velocity to randomization feature on the individual kit pieces. If you have any additional questions, you can PM me here or send an email to allen (at) esoundz (dot) com.

Allen

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I read an interview where Ken basically said some of the kits were created to be close approximations of his classic drum sounds. If that's accurate, which pack would cover the Ziggy Stardust drum sound? I love the drum sounds on that record and wouldn't mind a BFD version.
That would be the Woody Woodmansey kit which is coming very soon as well as midi grooves from the session as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksYhSxiRW9U

Squids wrote:That would be the Woody Woodmansey kit which is coming very soon as well as midi grooves from the session as well!
Are the MIDI grooves going to be included with the BFD versions of the kits?

Is it one set of MIDI grooves that encompass all the Epik Drums kits, or is it a separate set of MIDI grooves for each drummer?

I'm very excited about all of this, since I have just dug my copy of BFD2 from out of the grave and am excited about using it again.
Somewhere in the background zedd

It's midi groove packs per drummer. Not sure if they'll be included for free with the BFD kits yet or not. They were actually made to be included in the "Complete Kits and Grooves" packages for Kontakt that are coming (that contain audio grooves as well). But we'll make them available a la carte. That said, if you guys want it (the people that hang around the SR forum and show their support) then we'd give it to you regardless. But it may very well be free anyway (for people that buy the BFD kit of that drummer). Good to know that just because you're reading this you don't have to worry whether it is or not! You'd just have to say to Allen "But on KVR Squids said that..." and BOOM! Haha.

Squids wrote:It's midi groove packs per drummer. Not sure if they'll be included for free with the BFD kits yet or not. They were actually made to be included in the "Complete Kits and Grooves" packages for Kontakt that are coming (that contain audio grooves as well). But we'll make them available a la carte. That said, if you guys want it (the people that hang around the SR forum and show their support) then we'd give it to you regardless. But it may very well be free anyway (for people that buy the BFD kit of that drummer). Good to know that just because you're reading this you don't have to worry whether it is or not! You'd just have to say to Allen "But on KVR Squids said that..." and BOOM! Haha.
Excellent news, thank you!

I have just been working with MIDI drum grooves this morning. We have come a long way. With Epik Drums and some other libraries with numerous velocity layers the MIDI grooves are almost as realistic sounding as the audio loops. It's amazing.

Getting ready to release some more kits for BFD2 very soon!

cool. I am liking the first two released. Looking forward to the rest.
too much is never enough. - gmontano on esoundz.com

gmon72 wrote:cool. I am liking the first two released. Looking forward to the rest.
Next week we're releasing a kit in the style of The Beatles and another one in the style of Elton John. So some more vintage 60s and 70s coming up!

Squids wrote:
gmon72 wrote:cool. I am liking the first two released. Looking forward to the rest.
Next week we're releasing a kit in the style of The Beatles and another one in the style of Elton John. So some more vintage 60s and 70s coming up!
Any predictions on the Woody Woodmansey kit? I've already paid for it and am awaiting delivery...

zedd wrote:
Squids wrote:
Any predictions on the Woody Woodmansey kit? I've already paid for it and am awaiting delivery...
How have you paid for it? It's not on pre-order. You mean you got the Infinite Player version and are waiting for the BFD version? Talk to Allen. He might be able to get it to you early. We're probably going to still update it with some more patches but you can always download those and add it.

One thing we're planning on working on is a new V-Drum Map for BFD that works a little better. There were a few requests made on that so we're exploring that. Nothing that holds up anything as there's already a map or two there but we're going to experiment around and see what options we can offer since we also have more articulations than you usually get.

Squids wrote:How have you paid for it? It's not on pre-order. You mean you got the Infinite Player version and are waiting for the BFD version?
The reason was because I sent the money via PayPal thinking that the Woody Woodmansey had become available for BFD (my mistake). No real rush, since I have the IP version and just wanted to test the BFD version. I'm still trying to decide if I am going to switch all my Epik Drums to BFD format (which I believe I probably will). I'm hoping to get a good taste of what that might be like with Woody Woodmansey, and those Woody MIDI grooves you were mentioning.

Not planning to start using BFD in earnest until I am running DP in 64-bit, which should be announced any day now. At the moment I can't run too much stuff without DP running out of memory. :(

I'll talk to Allen next week and see where we're at. Thanks!

I HAVE FIGURED OUT THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM I POSTED IN THIS MESSAGE. There is no need for anyone to respond to this. The solution is included in the next post...

----------------------------------------

Hey Squids (or anyone else who may have figured this out),

I've just installed the Bob Siebenberg Kit for BFD2, and I am in the progress of refamiliarizing myself with BFD2. I have to say that the experience of tweeking the drum kits is a lot more pleasing in BFD2 than it is trying to do it in Kontakt/Infinite Player. This is definitely going to be my new way of working from now on.

But, in an effort to tweek the kit, I'm trying to learn how the drum articulations have been mapped using BFD2 naming terminology, which is not consistent with the articulation names listed on iMap charts.

For example, I have figured out these articulations for the Siebenberg HiHats:
  • BFD2 name / note / iMap name

Open T = A#2 = HiHat Open
    Open S = B2 = HiHat Open Edge
    ThreeqT
    ThreeqS = C#1 = HiHat Open Extra/Special
    Half T = G#2 = HiHat Edge
    Half S
    Quarter T
    Quarter S
    Closed T = F#2 = HiHat Closed Inside
    Closed S = G2 = HiHat Closed Extra
    Pedal = F2 = HiHat Foot Shut
    Splash
    Bell = D#1 = HiHat Bell/Closed 2
    ChokedHit
    Drag = F1 = Hi-Hat Foot Open
But I couldn't figure out which the BFD2 articulations controls the "HiHat Choke" or whatever articulation is usually located at note A2.

Does anyone have a complete list, for all kit pieces, in a format something like what I have provided above? Each kit piece has their own articulation names, and it sure would be nice to have a Reference Guide or charts to more easily figure out the articulation names in BFD2 in relation to the regular iMap layout for Epik Drums.

Snare, Hats, Toms, Cymbals...

I can do it (and may have to), but it will take some time and I would really rather not. It sure would be nice if someone (hopefully Squids) has already got some articulation charts that can be posted.

What happens to articulations on the BFD2 list which don't have samples? Are the articulation controls then controlling nothing? I couldn't find any notes affected by some of the missing articulations in my list above. It would be nice if BFD2 would only list the articulations that are actually available (and maybe it does, but I'm not sure).

Would love to hear from anyone with some insights. I'm also interested in anyone commenting on the storage of libraries in different locations. Due to limited hard drive space, I just installed Bob Siebenberg to a different location than my other BFD2 libraries. So far, it doesn't seem to be a problem and BFD2 is managing thing from both locations. Am I asking for trouble down the road by doing this?

Really excited about all this. The BFD2 Epik Drums experience is definitely more pleasing. I would love to see DrumMasters2 making their way into BFD2 format as well, though I suspect that it is A LOT of work preparing things for BFD2.

Thanks for reading.

Hey folks,

I have found a solution to the articulation issue I brought up in the previous post.

Silly me... I just realized that the information is all within BFD2 itself. On the Keymapping/Articulation Page (The fourth Tab with the MIDI icon), just mousing on top of any kit piece brings up the complete list of articulations and the notes they are mapped to. Problem solved... and quite elegantly.

Once I've learned all the main articulations, I can just refer to this page if I am having trouble locating a particular articulation. Simple as pie, and this page reflects whatever kit pieces are loaded at the time.

---------

I also discovered this morning an amazing BFD2 feature I didn't know existed previously. When you have a kit preset loaded and are playing it on your keyboard, you can audtion replacement kit pieces while still playing the kit on your keyboard. Simply double-click on the kit piece you want to change and then you can click on each and any of the replacement options (without actually loading them and closing the window). By single clicking on any of the available replacement options you can INSTANTLY hear that kit piece with the other kit pieces that are already loaded into BFD2.

In other words you just keep finger drumming on your keyboard while changing the kit piece replacement options and you can quickly here how any kit piece sounds when you play it with the rest of the kit. It is brilliant. Never EVER has it been so easy to replace a kit piece with something that is closer to what you are looking for.

I'm so excited. Epik Drums and BFD2 are going to be my go-to drums from now on. This is an amazing combination! :love:

---------

I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who has more BFD2 experience and may have warnings or advice about storing drum libraries in multiple locations on a Mac. So far it doesn't seem to be a problem at all. I've got Bob Seibenberg running just perfectly from an isolated location on an external firewire drive.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”