Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
User avatar
spacedad
KVRAF
 
4739 posts since 25 Apr, 2002, from the bogely factory

Postby spacedad; Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:25 am

kills my 'puter dead,after just 20 mins playing with the wave drawing.it did that last version too.
i have to reboot. :(
maybe a memory problem,seems quite a beast.
ianfoxfire
KVRer
 
28 posts since 8 Oct, 2006

Postby ianfoxfire; Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:15 am

spacedad wrote:kills my 'puter dead,after just 20 mins playing with the wave drawing.it did that last version too.
i have to reboot. :(
maybe a memory problem,seems quite a beast.


If you dont mind, i have a few questions regarding your issues:
- what VST host are you using?
- what Operating system are you using?, XP, vista...
- Was it the act of playing with the wave drawing portion that seems to cause this?
bobsled
KVRAF
 
2413 posts since 15 Jun, 2005, from Haltom City, TX

Postby bobsled; Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:19 am

Hmmm, I had some problems with the older version. Lemme install the newer and see if I can crash eXT.

:troll:

Seriously, I'll be back in a bit. Unless my 'puter explodes.
bobsled
KVRAF
 
2413 posts since 15 Jun, 2005, from Haltom City, TX

Postby bobsled; Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:23 am

Well, nothing exploded. The only thing I noticed was a CPU spike during preset changes.

Image
The two spike areas are obvious, what isn't so obvious is me so enjoying that particular preset that after getting a screen shot I went back to playing around your synth. Good work, ianfoxfire, very nice instrument.

IFF survived the cut today, it's down to a dirty dozen DC entries. Can't believe some folks have already voted. :shock:

P4 2.4GHZ Windoze XP SP2 eXT1.4.1
ianfoxfire
KVRer
 
28 posts since 8 Oct, 2006

Postby ianfoxfire; Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:56 am

bobsled wrote:Well, nothing exploded. The only thing I noticed was a CPU spike during preset changes.

Image
The two spike areas are obvious, what isn't so obvious is me so enjoying that particular preset that after getting a screen shot I went back to playing around your synth. Good work, ianfoxfire, very nice instrument.

IFF survived the cut today, it's down to a dirty dozen DC entries. Can't believe some folks have already voted. :shock:

P4 2.4GHZ Windoze XP SP2 eXT1.4.1


Thanks for the update!.
The reason he CPU spikes during program changes, is because there are a LOT of parameters to be saved/loaded. Just the fact that most Knobs alone has its own matrix is a lot!
bk
KVRian
 
1475 posts since 15 Aug, 2003, from Indianapolis

Postby bk; Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:44 pm

I'm really digging this synth. It will definitely get a vote from me, just not sure which one yet.
Nice work!

There is one minor annoyance for me though. When you click a modulation depth control, it resets to zero, so if you were going for a small tweak, and didn't see what the depth was originally set at, you have to start over again from zero, and guess where it was at before...
ianfoxfire
KVRer
 
28 posts since 8 Oct, 2006

Postby ianfoxfire; Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:23 pm

bk wrote:I'm really digging this synth. It will definitely get a vote from me, just not sure which one yet.
Nice work!

There is one minor annoyance for me though. When you click a modulation depth control, it resets to zero, so if you were going for a small tweak, and didn't see what the depth was originally set at, you have to start over again from zero, and guess where it was at before...


I could see that being annoying... hmmm let me brainstorm on this for bit...
ianfoxfire
KVRer
 
28 posts since 8 Oct, 2006

Postby ianfoxfire; Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:33 pm

bk wrote:I'm really digging this synth. It will definitely get a vote from me, just not sure which one yet.
Nice work!

There is one minor annoyance for me though. When you click a modulation depth control, it resets to zero, so if you were going for a small tweak, and didn't see what the depth was originally set at, you have to start over again from zero, and guess where it was at before...


OK, ive figured out a better way to do this.
double click resets to zero, otherwise, it will pick up where the previous value was for fine tuning.

now here goes, updating every knobs matrix value fields.... joy :|

please let me know if theres anything else i should fix in 1.3..

i was thinking about expanding the display with a new section just for the envelopes, this way, you dont have to page back and forth between envelopes and destination knobs...
bk
KVRian
 
1475 posts since 15 Aug, 2003, from Indianapolis

Postby bk; Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:12 pm

ianfoxfire wrote:double click resets to zero, otherwise, it will pick up where the previous value was for fine tuning.

Sounds great! :tu:

now here goes, updating every knobs matrix value fields.... joy :|

eww. Not so great. :cry:

i was thinking about expanding the display with a new section just for the envelopes, this way, you dont have to page back and forth between envelopes and destination knobs...

That seems like it might be a very good idea.
User avatar
spacedad
KVRAF
 
4739 posts since 25 Apr, 2002, from the bogely factory

Postby spacedad; Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:42 am

hi,sorry i didn't get back to you,my time's not my own atm.it seems other sm synths,big ones like pitch black,seem to slow eXT1 right down,maybe i didn't wait long enough,cos with pitchblach it 'caught up' after about 3 mins! any ideas?

WinXP Home.SP2.C-Media Wave Device.NVIDIA GeForce 6200.AMD Athlon 3000+.CPU Speed 2002 mhz.RAM 1024.ASIO4ALL.EnergyXT1.4.1.
GilJ
KVRist
 
247 posts since 16 Mar, 2005

Postby GilJ; Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:27 am

ianfoxfire wrote:
xolax wrote:Aww, still does not work in Live 6 :(. I was looking forward to trying it out. Hope you can solve the problem one day.


can you offer the exact version of Live? I'm using 6.0.7, which is fine.


Hi,
I haven't been able to try the synth with Live 6.0.9 or 6.0.10 :(
ianfoxfire
KVRer
 
28 posts since 8 Oct, 2006

Postby ianfoxfire; Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:04 am

GilJ wrote:
ianfoxfire wrote:
xolax wrote:Aww, still does not work in Live 6 :(. I was looking forward to trying it out. Hope you can solve the problem one day.


can you offer the exact version of Live? I'm using 6.0.7, which is fine.


Hi,
I haven't been able to try the synth with Live 6.0.9 or 6.0.10 :(


downloading ableton live 6.0.10 now...
ianfoxfire
KVRer
 
28 posts since 8 Oct, 2006

Postby ianfoxfire; Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:11 am

spacedad wrote:hi,sorry i didn't get back to you,my time's not my own atm.it seems other sm synths,big ones like pitch black,seem to slow eXT1 right down,maybe i didn't wait long enough,cos with pitchblach it 'caught up' after about 3 mins! any ideas?

WinXP Home.SP2.C-Media Wave Device.NVIDIA GeForce 6200.AMD Athlon 3000+.CPU Speed 2002 mhz.RAM 1024.ASIO4ALL.EnergyXT1.4.1.


Well, im not sure what C-Media Wave Device is, but from the fact your using ASIO4ALL and not a soundcards supplied driver makes me wonder about your sound card.
Its important to have a decent soundcard when using audio apps!
I personally use EMU's 0404 sound card, its priced rite, and has fast drivers!
But that subject could be a whole new thread of its own!
User avatar
spacedad
KVRAF
 
4739 posts since 25 Apr, 2002, from the bogely factory

Postby spacedad; Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:18 am

i don't have no fancy soundcard and i've tried every music plugin known to man and never had a problem.i used to use audigy on my old computer,i thought i'd see if i actually needed it this time,and i've been doing music for a year now and everything's been fine.
MaliceX
KVRAF
 
2892 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from dun unda

Postby MaliceX; Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:33 am

Bugs/comments:

-Unison and pitch bend = one of the notes bend, but not the unison notes.
-Really needs some serious optimization in terms of load times, and its behaviour of wavetable selection.
-Wave drawing: Any possibility of some key shortcuts like holding CTRL and dragging to 'smooth out' the drawn stuff, and a line tool of sorts? (See Oatmeal, for an example.)
-Wave morphing: Any possibility for easy 'duplication' from the previous 'frame'?
-Pitch bending needs optimization, as already indicated. Whether or not it does 'anything', the fact the message is being "sent" works up the CPU more than necessary.

All in all, this thing has GREAT potential, it just has some optimization issues that really need to be addressed.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to KVR Developer Challenge 2018