HybridReverb2: Comments, Suggestions, and Bug Reports

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Midiworks wrote:was really excited about this one,
so I installed it on to my Macintosh.
But the plug-in is nowhere to be found,
even after a second installation it does not show up anywhere.
The plugin is installed in "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/". Is this directory included in the search path of your VST host? Many hosts require to manually re-scan for new plugins. Did you do this already? What host software do you use?
Midiworks wrote:So I installed it on Windows XP.
I can hear that he is doing something but it is freezing the host and I've never seen the GUI.

Hopefully you will get the things fixed before the end of the competition,
it would be a shame if people cannot try and won't consider it for voting.
That should not happen. What VST host are you using under Windows? And there are two versions of my plugin - a "normal" one and an OpenMP version for multi-core CPUs. Which one did you use?
Maybe I can reproduce and fix your problem. Did someone else experience similar problems?

Thank you for your bug report,
Christian

Very good plugin, nice features and cool sound, congrats.

This reverb looks very interesting, thank you !
I'll definitely try it asap.
One question though :
You mention a larger version with more impulses here :
http://www2.ika.rub.de/HybridReverb2/
The site asks for user/pass. What's up with that ?
Thanks,
susiwong

susiwong wrote:This reverb looks very interesting, thank you !
One question though :
Thanks,
susiwong
See page 1 of this thread
You can't always get what you waaaant...

stanlea wrote:
susiwong wrote:This reverb looks very interesting, thank you !
One question though :
Thanks,
susiwong
See page 1 of this thread
Can't realistically expect a guitar player to read :-o , can you ? :oops:
Thanks stanlea !
Christian, hope you're feeling better soon !
susiwong

susiwong wrote:Christian, hope you're feeling better soon !
I do, thank you! :)

I'm right now in my office to upload an updated version of my project homepage and to unlock it...done.
The complete impulse response database and the source code is available now.

Enjoy,
Christian

Hi Christian,
good to hear you're well again :)
Will try it over the next days, looks interesting !
thanks again !
susiwong

I'm excited to try this plugin out. So far though Win 7 64 Install does not seem to work. I'm trying to run it as a VST in Ableton Live 8, but it's having problems finding "preferences.xml" It's looking for it in the wrong folder. Any one else having similar issues?

loquat wrote:I'm excited to try this plugin out. So far though Win 7 64 Install does not seem to work. I'm trying to run it as a VST in Ableton Live 8, but it's having problems finding "preferences.xml" It's looking for it in the wrong folder.
Windows 7 and 64Bit? You are really asking for trouble, dude! ;)

That you get this error message is a good sign. It means, the plugin was initialized and it can show JUCE based graphical elements. What the installer is supposed to do is to make a registry entry which points to the installation directory. Lets do that manually:

Start up "regedit" (if its still included in Win7), and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HybridReverb2". If it does not exist, create it! In "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HybridReverb2" should be a string variable called "BaseDir" which should point to the installation directory, e.g., "C:\Program Files\HybridReverb2". Now open this directory with the Windows Explorer and execute the WisdomGenerator. There should be three XML files now:

1. HybridReverb2_presets.xml
2. preferences.xml
3. partition_wisdom.xml

The first and the second file are copied to your user specific application directory in "%APPDATA%\HybridReverb2" when HybridReverb2 start. Maybe MS changed the name of this variable in Windows 7?!? Can you open it with the Windows Explorer?

Hth,
Christian

c.borss wrote: Windows 7 and 64Bit? You are really asking for trouble, dude! ;)

That you get this error message is a good sign. It means, the plugin was initialized and it can show JUCE based graphical elements. What the installer is supposed to do is to make a registry entry which points to the installation directory. Lets do that manually:

Start up "regedit" (if its still included in Win7), and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HybridReverb2". If it does not exist, create it! In "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HybridReverb2" should be a string variable called "BaseDir" which should point to the installation directory, e.g., "C:\Program Files\HybridReverb2". Now open this directory with the Windows Explorer and execute the WisdomGenerator. There should be three XML files now:

1. HybridReverb2_presets.xml
2. preferences.xml
3. partition_wisdom.xml

The first and the second file are copied to your user specific application directory in "%APPDATA%\HybridReverb2" when HybridReverb2 start. Maybe MS changed the name of this variable in Windows 7?!? Can you open it with the Windows Explorer?

Hth,
Christian
Thanks for the in-depth reply. I entered the string into my registry and I feel like I'm getting closer. The second part of the problem might be that Windows 7 uses the folder structure
C:\Users\%myusername\AppData\Roaming\HybridReverb2
I will keep trying though!

Thanx for unlocking the extra impulse set! I'm not a reverb whore but it sounds nice so far :)

On a side note, anybody know some GOOD QUALITY free IR for reverb sites?
KVR >Gear Slutz! Change my mind! :clap:

Having problems getting this plugin to work straight out the box as well :(

After installing, it crashed wavelab initializing the vst for the first time. So I manually cut the dlls to another folder, so I could at least try it in Renoise and circumvent the boot error in wavelab.

In Renoise now, it gives an error notice about a wisdom file not being present in a given folder when trying to open it. The folder destination given is a different one (=non existing) then the real installation folder which definitely has the wisdom & preferences .xmls.

Cutting the folder to the program-files directory named in the notice, instead of the sub-directory I installed it to solved the problem.

I might have missed, during install, that you shouldn't change the default automatically selected directory?

I just downloaded the complete impulse response database, and there are some really nice rooms/halls/spaces etc.

This is a very nice plug; thanks again.

jonas the plugexpert wrote:I might have missed, during install, that you shouldn't change the default automatically selected directory?
The intention of the installer is to have the possibility to change the installation folder. So this should definitively work. I tried to reproduce this behavior, but it just works as expected. What exactly did you do? Which directory did the installer propose and what did you choose instead and which OS (version, language) do you use?

Ciao,
Christian

I just noticed that I had unintentionally commented out the SSE code for Linux and OS X (this was for debugging and I forgot to switch it back to the optimized version). If I change this code section to also use the SSE code for Linux, does this count as bug-fix or as feature-enhancement (which would violate the DC'09 rules)?

@Linux Users: This issue is fixed in the current development tree. So, if you want a significant performance improvement, use the source, Luke!

Btw, how many people have actually tried the Linux version yet? Was it worth the effort?

Ciao,
Christian

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”