DC12 is Here (August - December 2012)

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Are you trying to claim that, say, source code isnt data? Do you have some 'casual' meaning for data too?
That isn't what you said, let me remind you again.
a Reaktor ensemble or Kontakt patch doesnt do anything. its data to dictate what something else will do.
A reaktor ensemble is code. It most certainly does DO SOMETHING in exactly the same way that native code DOES SOMETHING. Of course code is data, but it's no less true in one instance as another, as I have already pointed out.

Beyond that, I'm not really talking about "what you said." I don't give a toss.

The distinction that you drew between Reaktor and native code was trite and you've droned on trying to pedantically pick holes into the larger abstraction that I described. Seriously dude, I'm not going to engage you point by point on this.

BTW: When I said 'casual', I meant in casual conversation among experts.
Are you just pissed off because I did know the term, and its correct useage, and highlighted the actual terms you would have been better off using?
Actually, I was really surprised that you took issue with its use, consequently, I'm still not convinced that you did know the meaning beyond, perhaps, a very specific application of the term.

Here's a paper which uses the phrase in a similar manner that's talking about "execution flow" being bound to an "execution environment."

http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1168064

This is what I mean by casual use of the verb bind in a CS context. It only means slightly more than it does in lay language. The definition that I shared with you is really as precise as it needs to be for this kind of usage. It's a part of my vocabulary, and I was genuinely surprised that it is not a part of yours.

In fact, here is a use of it that is not only almost precisely the same as mine, but uses it explicitly in a claim

http://en.scientificcommons.org/42424675
An interpreted script is bound to its execution environment loosely through the interpreter, while a compiled script needs to be bound to the execution environment much more tightly than an interpreted script
These are published papers by established computer scientists. Do you really still need more evidence that you are simply incorrect?

IrionDaRonin wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:I see, my apologies, I misunderstood what you were saying. I agree, but perhaps it would be interesting to talk about what people think are the best of different categories and what things that they think are missing?
No, don't worry, no need to apologize. My english is not perfect yet and i miss some meanings of some words yet.
I said "High handicap", which i thought it means "High Level".
Yeah sure, I got it now. I find the translation attempt interesting and can see how you'd make that association. A horse with a "high handicap" has high ability, but, the handicap actually refers to the weights added to the horse to slow him down. So, to have a handicap means that you would have to carry some extra burden that will reduce ability.

So I read it as, free programs are handicapped. Which in some sense, they are, right? They're handicapped by having less funding to fuel their development.
I'm a freebie lover very long time ago. So doubtly i would say bad things about freebies and indie developers. They brings us the fact of making music, for free. That's priceless.

So, my apologies.

Have a good day guys :)
Of course there's no need for you to apologize, we simply had a misunderstanding.

Split this shit.
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:Split this shit.
Dude, calm down, this is a thread for developers. I think they can handle a little discussion of CS terminology.

In fact, it's spot on topic, we're talking about Reaktor which was brought up in like the third post. If anything needs to be split it's your complaining.

Why don't you try contributing something positive to the thread if you don't like what others are posting?

It's not shit, but the length of the discussion about Reaktor makes the whole thread hard to read. So having a dedicated thread about what is a plugin or not could be handy.

(btw I didn't know that all participants here were devs... :) )
You can't always get what you waaaant...

stanlea wrote:It's not shit, but the length of the discussion about Reaktor makes the whole thread hard to read. So having a dedicated thread about what is a plugin or not could be handy.

(btw I didn't know that all participants here were devs... :) )
I'm just saying that DC = "Developer" Challenge. So, it's reasonable to assume that "developers" will be participating in the challenge and thus would be the target audience for this thread.

For the DC anything that loads into a plug-in or app that isn't a plug-in or app should be considered as soundware and will fall into the soundware category.

e.g. Reaktor Ensembles, Kontakt libraries, other sample libs, any presets / patches, etc.

Thanks for clearing this out Ben! And now to something completely different:

My plugin progress report. :)
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

I did not mean that the discussion was 'shit', but
Are you serious?
You really think that the 'discussion' that was had up there was beneficial to devs, to the challenge?
Sure maybe the best purpose of this thread, for devs, is for you two to argue about the best use of a word. To redefine 'data'. Maybe they love it! :)
Maybe they do need someone to precisely define for them what they are doing before they can do it. :roll:

Does either of you two personally have any stake in what you were discussing as it pertains to the challenge? Just wondering.
Are you devs with a project that may be affected by the outcome of this debate, or are you advocating on behalf of a dev with such a project?
This is a general thread about the long awaited DC12.
ghettosynth wrote:
highkoo wrote:Split this shit.
Dude, calm down, this is a thread for developers. I think they can handle a little discussion of CS terminology.

In fact, it's spot on topic, we're talking about Reaktor which was brought up in like the third post. If anything needs to be split it's your complaining.

Why don't you try contributing something positive to the thread if you don't like what others are posting?
Calm down?
Was it my use of the word shit that makes you think I was other than calm?

Sorry, nothing to add. My CS background is thoroughly lacking.
I see the debate and how some devs may have a stake in it. But come on, you guys got down to arguing over who defined 'data' in what way. Dictionaries were quoted ffs.
"On topic Reaktor talk"? :hihi:
ImageImageImageImage

Ben [KVR] wrote:For the DC anything that loads into a plug-in or app that isn't a plug-in or app should be considered as soundware and will fall into the soundware category.

e.g. Reaktor Ensembles, Kontakt libraries, other sample libs, any presets / patches, etc.

:? a shame.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stuff like the 'DJ Frog' thing come to mind for me.
Or the dancing girl in FLStudio...
I guess they could be considered 'soundware' if the sound signal is technically going through them though, albeit untouched. Dunno.

Didnt someone make some kind of videogame in Reaktor?
ImageImageImageImage

Indeed someone did. A racing game demonstrating the image animation functions. Never tried it, but would be cool to look at if someone still know where to find it. :)
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

I propose that we hold a weekly contest to determine the correct definition of a term used in the Developer's Challenge series...winner gets a vacation at a marketing convention in Cedar Rapids IA..... :hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”