first impressions of the DC12 entrys

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

harryupbabble wrote:The Hydra PL really sounds great for a synth but its intended GUI is not loading properly in Reaper, FL Studio Demo, VSTHost, Cantible Lite, Chainer, MuLab, Cubase LE 5, and MiniHost. I'm almost 100% sure it's not a VST host problem.
Add T3 to the list.
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

Been trying out the plugins I DL-ed today and so far:

Transient: HOO-RAY! Best de-esser I've ever used. In fact, It's the only one I've ever used that I thought made a real positive difference in the sound of spoken word. A definite 1st prize.

Poly 2106: Maybe not the most innovative synth this year, but certainly the best sounding. I went through every single preset, taking in the beauty of those delayed pads... best preset: Brokened Pad.

Heliox: Probably will get more use than the other synths from this group simply because the sounds are unique. It's a good one-stop weirdness generator, and fills a need in my toolbox.

Freqshifter: I used it with an acoustic drum loop on the Minus 250 Hz preset, and immediately wanted to use that sound for a piece.

Delay Studio: Old-timey delay sound I'll certainly use

Honorable mention: Flame, Tapatiki and Kamiooka.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

OK so my first impression: I only had a chance to try a fraction of the entries so far, but:

WE NEED MORE THAN FIVE VOTES!!!

Seriously though, some great entries. My fav so far is the commodore sample pack but I'm only getting started.

So far:

Boids
- really interesting. Like it a lot in terms of the concept and sound, sounds best so far with percussive tracks or elements.

Azurite
: had problems last night with it but now seems fixed after new download.I'm a sucker for choruses and flangers and the sound is nice. Need more time to throw on different stuff though.

Proximity
: still messing with. Only listened to on low volume and adjacent speakers, so need to try out on a more stereo system.

Thrillseeker XTC
: Well, no REAL surprise here other than another highly professional product from Bootsie and really like the sound on the more "hot" version.

Philteroid: Like the concept and interesting results so far with some tracks but not sure if behaving correctly with everything (some tracks have no apparent audio despite being very similar, i.e. drum loops). Definitely need to test more in a variety of situations.

3ee wrote:
reusenoise wrote:
3ee wrote: KlingKlang - buggy, but highly addictive, fun!
Glad you like,plese let me know something more about the bug :oops:
Sure,
the envelope seems to work in an odd way (especially noticeable with the decay parameter --- bring sustain to minimum and try a relatively longer sound while tweaking the decay parameter)

..the thing is that the env controls seem to be "inactive" from 0 to 50%.

OK, so much for that... :D now please allow me to brag about a couple of things that I find missing from the plug... those would be a steep HP filter switch at least ... and controlling the kb velocity action amount.
Thanks,here KlingKlang support thread

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 43#5126643
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

Haven't played with each and every entry, but some first thoughts/impressions:

I was of course excited to see Thrillseeker, I remember from his page that an upgrade was "in the works", so my hopes were fulfilled there. All quality, no filler!

As I have been growing more fond of Prodigious the longer it sits in my plugins folder, Poly 2106 also is a treat for me- perhaps not a huge departure soundwise from the overall flavor of Prodigious, but Poly 2106 seems to have more tweaking potential, and sounds lovely. The fine folks at Synthescience should know, their website needs some fixing, however; "the links, they do nothing!"

Both Kamiooka and T-C-M seem to draw some inspiration from modular VAs past like Glen Stegner's Arppe2600VA, and Sonigen Modular; to compare either entry to
payware like ACE or Arturia's 2600 emulator isn't exactly fair, since the goals, resources, and time restraints aren't comparable. While some may feel Kamiooka's overall osc/sound quality is underwhelming, or T-C-M's controls and sequencer features need some polish and expansion, I still find them both to have plenty of potential to reward exploration, and to encourage those who might be just starting to delve beyond presets, and learn more about synthesis and patch creation.

Again demonstrating that the worldwide love affair with all circuits analog has not ended, Waveshaper's MODULOK has certainly found a happy home on my hard drive, and will no doubt be showing up in my work in the future (Creative Commons FTW!)

KlingKlang is, as others have said, fun- while I might recognize the drumkit
underlying the processing in a few of the samples, it's still a simple way to expand one's percussive palette without going to the trouble of custom-mangling your own set of one-shots.

Agr does what it says on the tin. The mini-keyboard/level display is a nice touch, but I can't get too hot and bothered over yet another 16-step MIDI sequencer. (Has anyone released one named YAMS? If so, why not "SweetPotato" next?)

DelayStudio has a very nice GUI, sounds good, and is unique enough in what it does to warrant adding it to the plugins folder; other delays won't necessarily be replaced by it (but some might still feel threatened, and talk behind DelayStudio's back).

Catalyst has an interesting concept behind it, but to me, it sounds like it probably benefits most from some parameter modulation via DAW or another plugin; after checking some presets and twiddling some knobs, the results
still seemed a bit more vanilla than initially anticipated- this is probably just PEBCAK at work, research will continue.

Dustbucket and Azurite are both unique enough to keep as well, Azurite getting extra love from me due to its reminding me somewhat of a bug-free CH-2.

All right- more to try, that's enough blather from me. Many thanks to KVR and all the developers involved, an embarrassment of riches indeed!

sirsicksik's automathico gives 'ntdll.dll' error in xt1.4.1(win7)....
doesn't crash it,just won't load.
and crashes xt2.

Agr + Kling Klang make a good team.
agr+synths too.
sifft is maxing out xt1's cpu.

Vintager toy followed by thrillseeker make a pretty good team for making sounds bigger and warmer..
T-C-M makes some nice oddity type sounds with plenty of tweaking but doesn't have much in the way of presets.. I think any synths in the competition are going to need a few nice presets to be in the running
Poly 2016 sounds glorious and makes me feel like I just got a $150 big name synth for nothing.. :)

Just my issues. I hope devs can fix them before deadline. I want to make my votes properly with all plugins working.
FL Studio 10 Windows XP Home 32 Bits.

·Hydra: Gui won't load. But it sounds.
·Matrix 8000: Cpu Intensive. +80% in an AMD3 Quad Core at 3,2 Ghz.
·RadioJunk = Error when load.

·The Penutimate Trilogy (5,6 Gygabytes) = Downloading files separatelly now.

EDITED: I downloaded some new updates and now worked. Deleted from the list.

Have a good day :)
Last edited by IrionDaRonin on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IrionDaRonin wrote:Just my issues. I hope devs can fix them before deadline. I want to make my votes properly with all plugins working.

·The Penutimate Trilogy (5,6 Gygabytes) = Rar damaged. Always, Direct Download or JDownloader.

:)
I've managed to fix the problem by dividing the volumes in smaller files, still the other half need to be upload, but i do it one by one to avoid files corruption, just have a glance on the product page day after day, it should be ready in time...

Krakatau wrote:
IrionDaRonin wrote:Just my issues. I hope devs can fix them before deadline. I want to make my votes properly with all plugins working.

·The Penutimate Trilogy (5,6 Gygabytes) = Rar damaged. Always, Direct Download or JDownloader.

I've managed to fix the problem by dividing the volumes in smaller files, still the other half need to be upload, but i do it one by one to avoid files corruption, just have a glance on the product page day after day, it should be ready in time...

Thank you very much, man. I hope so :)

harryupbabble wrote:I sort of tested the AGR sequencer. I like it. It has possibilities and usefulness. My only problem with it is that there is no reset or clear or init or better yet an undo button. An undo button would have come in handy when I pressed the "oct" button and didn't like what it did to the sequence generated just before. Also, a "save to midi file" function would be super-terrific.
Hi, thanks for testing it!

Unfortunately, it's not allowed to add new features to the plugin (it is said so in DC rules), but thanks for suggesting an undo button - I didn't think of it because I used to record first the MIDI parts I liked and then edit them in the host's editor.
As for reset/clear/init you can double-click small knobs to set them to their default values; all octave or all velocity bars can be set to the same octave/value by Ctrl+clicking on the corresponding bar of the first beat module.

I hope this will help a little.

Max

ccDuckett wrote:Haven't played with each and every entry, but some first thoughts/impressions:
Agr does what it says on the tin. The mini-keyboard/level display is a nice touch, but I can't get too hot and bothered over yet another 16-step MIDI sequencer. (Has anyone released one named YAMS? If so, why not "SweetPotato" next?)
Hi, thanks for glancing at Agr!
You know, it's not just a 16-step sequencer, but 'up to 16 steps'. The number of steps is variable. It works in any time signature, e.g. 5/4 or 7/8, not just 4/4.
And the end/start point of the sequence doesn't have a single tick lag, and it's not a huge 16 paged panels structure inside dll, but just two native SynthEdit's Step Counter modules (syntheditusers group people know what I mean).

FL Studio 10 Windows XP Home 32 Bits.

·ClipShifter: Only 64bits installer.
·Hydra: Gui won't load. But it sounds.
·Matrix 8000: Cpu Intensive. +80% in an AMD3 Quad Core at 3,2 Ghz.
·Soundrider: Not working, FL Frozen.
·RadioJunk = Error when load.

EDITED: I downloaded some new updates and now worked. Deleted from the list.

Have a good day :)
0.65 should have fixed SoundRider in FL

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”