first impressions of the DC12 entrys

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sinkmusic wrote:No, i like Flame, it is good, with a nice GUI, interesting features, it is a bit like a mini-AD Ronin for free ;)
Has to be said, it reminds me of Ronin too. Add a saturation module and I can sell Ronin. ;)

I did get Flame working. Its a bit unwieldy workflow wise, but I like the concept.
Inspiration is cool! I havent actually used it much tbh, but again its a cool idea.
Acrobat wrote:
highkoo wrote:Im gettin in the groove with a track using only DC12 entries.
Could use some more dynamics tools, but its a good time!
Great stuff everyone! :tu:
please post it when it's done! :)
Will do!
I will be done playing with it tonight or tomorrow probably.
Last thing I did was slap the Maxwell Smart limiter on the master and I wasnt mad about it. :)
Also, the whole thing was much less of a crash fest as I had expected. Much less so than when loading everything x4 from past DCs.
Rendering properly is a hit/miss so far. :hihi: But, everything is working after a couple passes.
And I havent had to bounce much! One patch from HYDi that was killin the cpu.

xoxos have you gotten any feedback about the gui freeze in Sifft?
No crash, but it would freeze occasionally with automation/transport fuckery...
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:
And I havent had to bounce much! One patch from HYDi that was killin the cpu.
Ouch - sorry about that! As I said somewhere - CPU usage might be a bit strange sometimes, CPU usage with multiple instances of HYDi - isn't linear ->
On my i5 Quad.
1x instance: ~6% CPU
10x instances: ~16% CPU (various patches).

If some patch has a seemingly much higher CPU use - compared to the other patches - let me know, might be a bug. CPU between the patches should not vary much. Also - the "B" filters are more expensive than the others - You might notice that I don't use them in the supplied presets. Also - reverb also bumps up the CPU quite a bit(~1% on my PC) - but they do switch themselves off after a couple of seconds. Would be cool to hear some DC'12 inspired songs.

Andrew

highkoo wrote:I did get Flame working.
In Windows 7 64-bit? 8) If so, what DAW please, highkoo. :)

Ichad.c wrote:
highkoo wrote: And I havent had to bounce much! One patch from HYDi that was killin the cpu.
Ouch - sorry about that!
No problem!
I was running a LOT of stuff, and it was a grimey bass boom, so it could possibly not have all been due to the plugin.
Plus, automation.... I just go nuts. :)
harryupbabble wrote:
highkoo wrote:I did get Flame working.
In Windows 7 64-bit? 8) If so, what DAW please, highkoo. :)
Yep, Win7 x64. FL Studio 10.0.6, I think is the latest official.

I was able to get some cool things happening by mucking with the wet/dry in the daw, and the wet/dry on l/r in Flame. Spacey stuff!
ImageImageImageImage

I just tried it. In Win7 x64, Flame definitely does work in FL Studio 10.0.9 Demo and MiniHost. Yet Reaper 4.30 keeps rejecting it but accepted all the other DC12 plugins. Flame is also rejected by demo versions of Ableton Live, Cubase LE 5, energyXT, Renoise, and MuLab. VSTHost also rejects it. I even ran Reaper in Sandboxie and see if Flame is accepted there. Rejected there too. :help:

ImageImageImageImage

-------------------------------------------------------
Trans Computer Maschine v1.07 released - It's smoother!
-------------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody,

Here's probably the last update for the KVRDC12. Updates after the contest might come with added features.

The v1.07 fixes are related to subtle clipping issues, probably unnoticeable for most people but I'm sure 'golden ears' will appreciate such improvement:

- Fixed high mixer levels causing internal clipping.
- Fixed Triangle and Saw-Triangle waves making 'clicks' when changing notes.

Have a good time with 'T-C-M'.

Regards,

Walter

harryupbabble wrote:I just tried it. In Win7 x64, Flame definitely does work in FL Studio 10.0.9 Demo and MiniHost. Yet Reaper 4.30 keeps rejecting it but accepted all the other DC12 plugins. Flame is also rejected by demo versions of Ableton Live, Cubase LE 5, energyXT, Renoise, and MuLab. VSTHost also rejects it. I even ran Reaper in Sandboxie and see if Flame is accepted there. Rejected there too. :help:
I did the testing for the x64 version in Win7 using MuLab and Reaper and it worked fine for me :?

Am looking into it though!

brok landers wrote:
Syntilla wrote:
brok landers wrote: i thought the time is up nowadays for more bootsie ranged quality.
But you're still urging people to give their votes to Kamioooka?
i'm urging someone? search your glasses, will ya... i just stated that i love that synth.
just so you know - i love quality... but would you believe i use bitcrushers, etc? there's stuff between 0 and 1...
but... but... mom... it distorts...
I was going more by the 'fan' thread you started. And you appear to have a few fans of your own who value what you say over what their own ears tell them.

I don't have a problem with bitcrushers. I guess it depends on the bits you're crushing.

And that's a subtle use of the word 'distorts'. I thought it actually sounded like that?

As you yourself say - it doesn't sound 'analogue'; it sounds 'cheap'; and (currently) it's 'a toy' (then again, Zinoffiev said that about his own VCS3 ...) No-one's saying it doesn't look great. Nor that the Roland wouldn't be a great synth to model (wasn't it the synth that first set one U-he on his mission?). But when a respected sound designer mentions 'bootsie quality' and Kamioooka in the same posting, some people might get the wrong impression.
None of the really dumb people I knew when I was young are young any more.

syntilla - welcome to kvr! the premiere website for vst music software technology!

do you know how many people who work in the industry visit kvr during the course of their workday? (hint: notice the drop in participation on weekends relative to weekdays, working hours for europe/usa)

you cannot expect the other forum members to be users. i venture that if you are really observant and pay close attention, you might notice some forum members seeming to reinforce perceptions about (let's broadly use the term) "marketplace" value. perhaps not even for their own products, but in a more synergetic, wider sense!

it is a pleasure to demonstrate fine discretions amongst fellows who appreciate them.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Do you know, Xoxos ... I just got in from a 6 hour walk, read your post, read it twice more, made some (instant) coffee, came back and read it again ... and ... I genuinely don't know what you are trying to tell me.

I'm new to the forum, but I've been visiting KVR for 10 years or so. I only joined now because it was the only way I knew how to contact one of the devs ... and kinda got caught up in all the 'excitement' of the Challenge. I'll probably disappear again once it's over (maybe sooner).

But I'm certainly very glad to make your acquaintance. I remember a comment you made once to TomG, when he released Synthia2 - effectively, that it looked like something you might play with - if you weren't so busy making plugins of your own. I took that (as, I believe, he did) as just about the highest praise one developer could receive from another.

Your legend precedes you, Xoxos.

So if you could please repeat what you wrote earlier, in a form that I might understand, I would be sincerely grateful.

Even if you were being uncomplimentary.

It's OK, xoxos - after a night's sleep, I read it again, and it makes perfect sense (I think).

I had thought - maybe - that you were suggesting I'd spoken out of turn. (If that IS what you were doing, please post again - and in plain words.)

Thing is, you can't help but write in poetry. And I sometimes can't hear the meaning for the music.

But don't change. If you didn't exist, we'd have to invent you. And I really don't think we're up to the task.

Apologies for capitalising your name in the previous post.

And before anyone complains that we're getting too far off topic: your SIFFT mp3 demo made me smile. A lot.

pith: take the posts of members with a grain of salt, expecting "marketplace" subterfuge is par for the course.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I really had a hard time voting for only 5 participants... I wish there would have been at least 10 votes because I had more than 10 great plugins after the selecting process... Furthermore, I hope there will be additionally a Sound Designer Competition in the future as I don't know how to compare plugins with sample libraries at all... :?

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”