first impressions of the DC12 entrys

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tricky-Loops wrote:I hope there will be additionally a Sound Designer Competition in the future as I don't know how to compare plugins with sample libraries at all... :?
I had to mark purely on my own usage in the end, trying to objectively compare entries was just impossible. Maybe not a 'pure' way of doing it but I found thinking about the effort that went into the entries helped too. Certainly one soundware entry I could imagine taking a lot more effort than some of the plugins so that got marks straight away (obviously sounds good too, not marking purely on effort :)).

sorry,i'm a bit late to the 'first impressions' thread,just a few scribbles while testing,but maybe it'll be a bit useful for someone...

max brezhestovski:agr
(bit bias,as i've worked worked with max aka mbreges on many of my plugins,but it's a shame this didn't get more attention,i love the random curve funtions,odd time sigs and general sequencey fun)
easytoolz:aurelia filtha
(nice gui,good sounding filter action)
sirsicksik:Automathico
(once working,interesting random sequence monster,though,not very intuitive for me.)
AXP:softamp_3od
(nice graphics,cool sound,nice double-mousebutton control)
distorque:azurite
(nice chorus,got some extreme effects)
tonecarver:boids
(great gfx and very unique idea)
midimobiles:botteX,FadorYMaster
(not sure what to do with them(ps:eventually we got a manual,but never had time to try)
broken gadget;catalyst
(gave us some of the first vst freeware eg;percolator/chimemachine/dr.benway,so i was hoping for something more interesting than this,maybe i've missed something))
LVC-Audio:clip shifter
(nice gui,)
martin eastwood:flame
(good routing possibilities,easy to get cool fx)
Ph D(J):guitarampsim3
(the default is 'off' so watch your speakers when you turn it on! )
Petrol Limiter Plugins:Hydra PL
(simple old school synth,wot no portamento??)
Musical Entropy:Inspiration
(well designed very cool)
g2000kg:kamioooka
(always great stuff from g2000kg,could be the start of something good)
Lively Audio:Maxwell Smart
(didn't compare it with my faves,sorry,but it seems to be doing it's job very nicely)
phuturetone:philteroidVSTfx
(once i realised it was a envelope follower,i got cool filter action with added fm/am.nice gui too)[/size]
synthescience:Poly 2106
(like others said,good synth,but small gui)
xoxos:sifft
(great sample mangling,hope next version can have a cpu capper!)
GaryG:tapatiki
(the most intuitive delay,imo)
TD:HYDi
(fx-delay really too loud!,nice synth,cool panels,lots of noise types,grey text is hard to read)
Remigio Coco:Heliox
(fft synth? like it!)
acrobat:minisynths
(neat sounds,and good gui)

so many to test and so little time!
i left out some that i didn't feel qualified to talk about,though they seem very good,i didn't have anything useful to say.also some i didn't get to work,a few that were just ok,and a few that i forgot to write something,sorry.

congrats to the winners and thanx to all the devs who put in all that effort.8)
cheers ben for a great dc12!:D

(ps:any entrants who want a copy of any of my plugins,hit me up)
happy xmas everyone!Image

spacedad wrote: TD:HYDi
fx-delay really too loud!..

Aww, Crap - that one I know about, all 128presets defaulted to some crazy values with that delay - had to manually re-adjust all 128 presets and resave the bank, guess I missed a preset or two. Sorry! And consider it fixed - in the next release!
cool panels...

Sasha, a.k.a. Phuturetone did all my graphics, without it - there wouldn't have been a HYDi - so much thanks goes to him.
grey text is hard to read

That I'll lightened up for the next release.
lots of noise types...

Oh gosh, I :love: noise! Apart from the 'coloured' noises - some are pretty strange - Pulsey = inspired by pulsar synthesis, 'Angry' = inspired by the "Dark Star Chaos", A.S.S = is actually very close to noise as well, with an extra 5.0% of feedback gain -> it will become white noise - inspired by modular feedback FM.

Version 1.3 will have alot of changes - the changelog is already a page long! Will hopefully have it done soon - if I could just stop adding stuff - it would have been done last week :lol:

Curretly coding a Pulse-Width triangle...

Cheers
Andrew

cool,good to know you're on it.:)

spacedad wrote:cool,good to know you're on it.:)
Yip, and a "mini-tour" manual is also in the works - admin sucks :hihi:

P.S. Your GUI's always make me smile - so bright, clean and innocent.
Last edited by Ichad.c on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inanyway - I'm completely shocked that Dust Bucket didn't get any love! Its my number2. The quality is insane - for any non math/progammer person - it's extremely hard to do that without a ton of artifacts - I've tried it a couple of times myself - with terrible results, not to even mention crashes. Would have loved to see an optional non-linearity though.

yeah mystran does quality stuff,i was using/testing his limiter a while back and i was very impressed.
i'm not a chorus freak,so i couldn't really judge too well.
i really should use his stuff more,thanks for the reminder.
we are very lucky to have such a high standard here.

spacedad wrote:yeah mystran does quality stuff,i was using/testing his limiter a while back and i was very impressed.
i'm not a chorus freak,so i couldn't really judge too well.
i really should use his stuff more,thanks for the reminder.
we are very lucky to have such a high standard here.
Haha, that reminds me - I downloaded his limiter a couple of months ago - but never tested, will do so promptly!

*edit* I am a chorus-freak.

just having fun with his dolphin and pink synth and tsclip,sounds great and gui's a really nice too.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”