VST Plugin Preset Match - Working Plugins That Can Be Matched?

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

harryupbabble wrote:If I made a song that used reverb plugin X but now reverb plugin X is broken and I want to have that same sound of reverb plugin X then your application will search my VSTPlugins folder to find reverb plugin Y and a specific preset of reverb plugin Y... and it actually will have the same sound as reverb plugin X?
It doesn't search for a plugin, but tries to match a given plugin to another plugin. In particular this means that it matches the parameters of a plugin to a preset (called 'program' in VST speech) of a different plugin.

Since this is not an easy task, it takes quite long already (in some test cases about 8 hours, but depending on the number of parameters it can be far more or less). Eventually the tool could also be altered to try different presets instead of altering the parameters, but this might be too limiting.

Please note also, that I haven't modeled the ear with the tool, so it might be that two plugins will sound "perfectly" equal to your ears, but not for the tool. This is mainly because of the fact that the ear typically ignores the phase properties for many cases (you can only hear the phase when it translates to a time delay and in particular on transients). Since this is hard to emulate and the perception is also different for everyone, the tool only checks rather mathematical/technical issues.

This means that you typically don't really need a perfect match, but a close match is already quite useful.

thanks for all your work on this plugin! i voted 4 points for its innovation, its maybe ahead of its time :)

Schroeder's backward integration sounds really exciting, i will give it a go as soon as it's out of beta for sure.
Schroeder's backward integration method broke the new ground in classical architectural acoustics. Soon after publication of Schroeder's backward integration method for obtaining sound energy decay functions from room‐impulse responses [Schroeder, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 37, 409-412 (1965)], research activities in this field have been frequently reported in major journal publications. For reverberation time estimation based on a traditional straight‐line model, solutions to remedy problems related to the upper limit of backward integration and the background noise in experimentally measured Schroeder decay functions have emerged.(Acoustical Society of America)

ok, downloaded the latest stable version (1.0.5) to try to match compressor settings.

1st thing i do is try to load the supplied dynamics plugin, and it doesn't work at all, does not even load :(

half an hour later with constant hanging and crashing i give up.

unless i have smoked something funny and forgot, this is alpha version software, REALLY looking forward to beta, RC and final :)

I HAVE A DREAM!!

i would like to simply match the free bootsy VOS plugin ThrillseekerLA's presets to ANY other compressor. Is this possible? This would really make my day :) i have been trying to do it by hand all night and its really boring, this is where this application would be a revolution!

https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

THANKS for all the work so far, fingers crossed for compressor matching.

thermal wrote:1st thing i do is try to load the supplied dynamics plugin, and it doesn't work at all, does not even load
What is the error message? On my system all supplied plugins work fine. Make sure you are using the 32-bit software (the 64-bit software is still a bit buggy for some settings). Never try to use 64-bit plugins with the 32-bit software. This must fail.

l am running windows 7 ultimate 64bit

from a clean start i run the 32bit app, load dynamics 32bit version and get:

... dynamics.dll could not be loaded

(systemfehler. Code:193.
%1 is not a valid win32 application)

i can load the 64bit app, load the 64bit version of dynamics and it is ok.

i would really like to match the 32bit ThrillseekerLA, so 64bit is not good for this purpose.

thermal wrote:... dynamics.dll could not be loaded
(systemfehler. Code:193.
%1 is not a valid win32 application)
I was pretty sure, that I replaced every german text and in particular this error with a more meaningful name. In fact it does mean: the DLL is probably the 64-bit version or corrupt. Looking at my bundeling/upload script, it seems as if only the archive was messed up, the installer should work fine. I will re-upload the archive again ASAP (once the latest version is out of beta). Until then please use the installer version.

Wow, two weeks!
I think I can forgive any lack of initial perfection considering that this thing must contain a little bit of magic. :hihi:
Christian Budde wrote:With the recent update, synth plugins can also be matched (though it will need some MIDI input).
Er-ma-gerrd. :o
That is unbelievable! Does it work with many synths?
I cant believe there has been no further mention of that.
This makes this very interesting to me. I will kick that bit around for sure.
:tu:
I figured this had to go somewhere. C. Budde is usually good for something amazing and unbelievable! Im ok if it might take <two weeks dev time. :P

Thanks for the update!!
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:That is unbelievable! Does it work with many synths?
Yes and no. In general it should work with any synth, but in particular, every single match will have issues. In particular you need to setup matching options right and very likely you won't get a perfect match (but that's not really required).

Last but not least - as everything is automated under the hood - it is hard to spot error or problems. If you try but fail, it would be very helpful if you comment your steps in detail.

Also, in some cases (depending on the settings). It may take a lot of time to calculate errors, so if you experience hanging, it might be because it is still busy calculating the error. In that case try with less parameters (about 4-8 works fine). Since the computation time grows quadratic, a match of let's say 30 parameters might need months or even years!

So start with a fewer number (matching the other parameters by hand) first. You can also match 4 parameters and then stop and match another 4 parameters and so on. It might be even faster, especially if the parameters are not related.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”