Sound Rider Support Thread - Updated to : V0.81

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jonas78 wrote:Because I installed all kvr challenge submissions in one go, and one of them crashed during initialization in Renoise, apparently soundrider was also cached as failed plugin! Rescanning previously failed plugins in Renoises preferences did the trick!

Thanks for your help, will now check it out!
Oh good. Have fun with it :)

I installed the (to me) most recent version of your tool. But I can not open it at all. It's not even recognized by any host I'm using (Cubase 6.0.x, WL7.2).

It can be loaded with VSTPlugin Analyer, but the screen remains blank.

I think the "Blank screen" is due to the fact, that I only have DX11 and not DX9.x on my Win7 x64 rig - so I would need to additional install it (which I won't, since this is no gaming rig and no other tool I use needs it).

But I'm worried as to why it's not showing up in any host I'm using.

Sorry, have to pass on this one as well.

BTW:
GEMA Germany blocked your YouTube video.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hi, sorry you are having problems. Its not a lack of dx9 though as it is installed in Windows 7 by default. So I think the problem is somewhere else. Can you send me the contents of the Sound Rider Log.html (in your documents folder) please so I can take a look?
thanks

Since it's not recognized by both Cubase and Wavelab in the plugin dropdown, I can't load it. And VSTPlugin Analyser doesn't load the GUI.

Searched through all my HDD's, no log.html file provided.
Can't help you there, sorry.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

If there is no log it sounds like SR has never been run, are you sure you have the dll in your plugin folder and the right one i.e. 32 or 64 bit? Cubase is probably the most tested of all the hosts as that is the one I use and I know lots of other people have it running in Cubase ok. The other possibility may be that Cubase has black listed it, you could try deleting the blacklist xml file in the Cubase application data folder and re-run

I really tried to run it, but it's not listed in either Cubase or Wavelab. The DLL is in the x86 folder of Win7.

I can check again later, but I won't keep my hopes up.
I have a feeling that it is a bug I can't retrace, on top of Win7 "not" acessing DX9 (since only DX11 is installed and DX9 needs to be installed separately in order to access it).

What is worrying me though:
VSTPlugin Analyer can find/load it, it builds the frame for the GUI, but the GUI doesn't show. So either something's drastically wrong with my rig - or I don't know.

Okay, I think I can now offer some help...

1) I tested both the 32bit and 64bit plugin, both will be listed in the VST2 Blacklist in Cubase.

2) I fired up Dependency Walker to see what is going on. DW finds this:
Error opening file - System can't find the following file:
D3DX9_43.dll (I think due to missing DX9 runtimes in Windows 7)
MSVCP100.dll (a visual C runtime of unknown age to me)
MSVCR100.dll
GPSVC.dll
IESHIMS.dll

Just to be sure that I didn't do any mistakes, I tested both files with Dependency Walker.

So I think I can't use it because:
1) I don't have DX9 installed for Win7 (DX11 has routines for backwards compatibility, but not for full DX9 - certain games still need it).
2) I think I miss a VisualC runtime - but I don't know which year (2005, 2008, 2010)

Maybe this helps in terms of bug-fixing.

Compyfox,
something must be wrong with your DirectX install.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113/de

Try:
1. Update your grafic card driver
2. re-install DirectX11

If it doesn't help, you can try:
http://www.chip.de/downloads/All-in-One ... 49838.html
It`s not a bug... it`s a feature!

Yes I would just do an update of your DirectX, following the link provided in the download may just do the trick

RexXx wrote:Compyfox,
something must be wrong with your DirectX install.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113/de

As written in the Microsoft support article, DX11 (part of Win7) does only include the limited DX9 runtimes. So chances are, that I'm one of those that does not have the missing DLL with the OS install and SP1 update.

RexXx wrote:If it doesn't help, you can try:
http://www.chip.de/downloads/All-in-One ... 49838.html
Now this is an interesting and indeed handful find. Saves me from constantly hunting down redistributables. Thanks for that.

Leaves one Q:
What's with that VCR100.dll ?

SoftAmp 3OD also missed this file, with the update it seems to be included or properly linked now. Can this be considered a bug?

EDIT:
I do not recommend to run this "runtime installer". I will go "manual" still (glad that I can roll back an image - but it's okay for testing purposes).

After installation of the DX9c version and all the VisualC runtimes (though I still think one's missing), suddenly it's working like it should. But only in Cubase (not Wavelab). Dependency Walker only drops errors for GPSVC.dll and IESHIMS.dll.

It's nice, but hard to read in 3D mode. Thinner lines of the grid (the blue one in the back) maybe, maybe a tad larger GUI screen (for large LCD's - if 3D, then really 3D). Don't know - just doesn't really click with me other than seeing some "history" of the recently played material.

I will keep an eye on this plugin. But I don't have a need for it so far.

BUT... if it will be further developed: a 3D Gonio (different types) and 1/3rd Oct view would be interesting. Just throwing around ideas.

The only Direct3D files that normally need downloading are the extra D3DX files that were released 6 monthly. This stopped in June 2010. Therefore most people will have the correct files already.

I could have got around the issues you faced by creating a proper installer which would include the full DirectX runtime plus the other library files you mention but personally I do not like installers filling my machine up with stuff , especially when it is just to test something out. I felt it was much better just to provide a zip with a link to the Microsoft updater and I think most people agree with that. In your case that unfortunately meant you did not have all the files.

Thanks for your comments and I will take those forward for future feature updates once the DC is over.

Just uploaded a new version 0.7 and updated the first post with details

I'm usually also against installers. But this was really a special case.

Anyway, it worked in the end - and I hope we could both help each other out. Like I said, keeping an eye on this.

Just put version 0.80 up. Just a few minor bug fixes which also may have led to some speed-ups. I believe I have addressed all the outstanding issues people have raised where I can (i.e. I cannot fix issues in hosts that do not work with analysers). If you know of any bugs do let me know!

I have a lot of features and tweaks I would like to add but that has to wait until the competition is over.

Can't get it to load in Wavosaur or Cantabile 1.2. It runs fine however in VSTHost and Buzz (Polac VST adapter).

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”