Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Inspiration

v1.1?

Great update for one of my all time favorite music programs!

You can't imagine how many times I've wanted to be able to cut'n'paste from this application.
Can I vote for it again?

(I see the KVR page says it's open source. Haven't noticed that before. Is it true?)

Some guys gave me a lot of ideas for Inspiration, so I decided to add a few "easy to add" features :wink:

Anyway, it is not really open source (a typo from me maybe), but there is nothing fancy going on there, so I may make it open source if there are people asking. I can also add new features if someone is interested :wink:

I send stuff occasionally to people I know use Inspiration - mostly not musicians, but pretty much anyone I show it to wants a copy!

I thought, maybe, a simple - distributable (work out the licensing!) - version I could mail people, with pre-loaded 'advice' (not that what I send is really advice...)

If it were 'simply' (I know! I know!!) a matter of commenting-out a bunch of stuff, I might have thought of giving it a go myself ... 's'all ...

I see what you mean. Well, if you put in the data folder only the sets you want, it may be more or less the same thing ? Or maybe what you want with it is just an installer ?

No - pretty much what you said ...
... just an old habit I have of taking licences seriously, and not distributing other people's software (including freeware) - I don't even deep-link, just point people at the dev's download page.

People I know use Inspiration, don't have a problem dropping a new set into their data folder and viewing it. And I don't think I know anyone quite dumb enough to have problems using it.
But it would be nice if (other) people could just unzip a file and immediately start reading what I've sent them - most often a kind of nonsense 'greeting card' kind of thing ... (though the Blake 'Proverbs' set I linked in another post also earned me far more gratitude from the guy I sent it to than my own effort really warranted.)

And I really don't want you to simply say, 'that's fine - go ahead!'
Such a use has possible (and potentially valuable) commercial implications - as a marketing tool, for example.
Take another look at your licence: I think it's about right as it stands.
And don't rush into making it Open Source just on the strength of a typo!

Well, you have just given to me some new ideas :D I may develop other new features later :wink:

A friend's 5-year-old absolutely loves the nonsense rhymes of Edward Lear.
Maybe yours would too.
But remember - these come from the 1840s: you might want to scan / edit for suitability before sharing.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b46olgwc8lmb146/nonsense.isn

Thanks for the update! It's good to see that some DC entries actually gets updated post DC, a lot goes by the wayside unfortunately. Got my vote last DC and should have *atleast* won the wildcard/innovation prize IMHO!

Thanks Ichad :wink:

This app is a blessing in those blocky moments, thanks for making it.

Looking at some Chrome browser extensions and found http://flashtabs.co/. It pops the next card each time you open a new tab in the browser... Now that's something I could use. It's a very basic slideshow reader, but nowhere as neat as yours, doesn't seem to do card sets and isn't as editable as yours I bet you cold make a better Chrome extension?
Syntilla wrote:Nonsense rhymes of Edward Lear.
Please can you re-share?

This app is a blessing in those blocky moments, thanks for making it.
Thanks, and sorry if I have been late answering your post, I don't go often in this area of the forum :wink:
Looking at some Chrome browser extensions and found http://flashtabs.co/. It pops the next card each time you open a new tab in the browser... Now that's something I could use. It's a very basic slideshow reader, but nowhere as neat as yours, doesn't seem to do card sets and isn't as editable as yours I bet you cold make a better Chrome extension?
Well this little web application looks great, but unfortunately I don't develop on this platform. I did a javascript function some years ago, which displayed random quotes from a database in plain HTML, I wouldn't be able to do a lot more than that nowadays :lol:

Anyway, as I told before to some people, I have some future plans for this software, I might work again on it one day

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”