Inspiration, by -musicalentropy

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Inspiration

The danger with this entry is that may seem a little simplistic at first to many users. If you however take the time to actually explore the "Sets edition" function, it has some rather detailed functions. You can create your own advice sets and categorize this advice with tags. The tag settings are detailed enough to filter the advice to a composer's own needs.

Interesting software, Wolfen666.

I know you can't add functions until after the contest, but the one thing that I think would extend the usefulness of this application would be making it possible to select multiple tag filters in the options section (instead of just being limited to just one). Two questions... Is there anywhere you can view a sets description field other than opening it up in the editor? And what is the purpose of that 1/1 icon on the righthand side of the edit screen?

There really are some useful tips and inspirations. You should insert some haiku, additionally... :D

Hello guys !
The danger with this entry is that may seem a little simplistic at first to many users. If you however take the time to actually explore the "Sets edition" function, it has some rather detailed functions.
So true :D

Interesting software, Wolfen666.
Thank you very much :wink:
I know you can't add functions until after the contest, but the one thing that I think would extend the usefulness of this application would be making it possible to select multiple tag filters in the options section (instead of just being limited to just one).
I really thought a lot about that. I thought that giving too much possibilities here would ruin the purpose of the software, i.e. having a great randomness about the content of the available advice. Anyway, I would like to add the possibility to choose at least one tag from each category at the same time. I will do that after the end of the contest.
Is there anywhere you can view a sets description field other than opening it up in the editor?
Yes, when you choose the sets you want in the Options tab :wink:
And what is the purpose of that 1/1 icon on the righthand side of the edit screen?
This is a kind of switch/wheel, allowing you to change the current advice item displayed with the mouse wheel and a drag and drop. Try to open one of the available sets, you will see that the control displays the current advice item index, and the number of advice items available.

I thought a lot about how to slide between the different advice items, and this option sounded like the most efficient to me, but not the most intuitive at first I think. Tell me what you think about it, and the ergonomics in the whole window in general :wink:
There really are some useful tips and inspirations. You should insert some haiku, additionally...
I'm going to spend three hours and half in the train :hihi: At the end, I should have two new sets to upload. Before the end of the week, I will add 5-6 sets with dumb advices and KVR private jokes, one about the Frustrated Songwriter's Handbook, one with advice tems about mixing, another one about learning guitar. I'd like to add some proverbs and haiku. Finally, I will add examples of what you can do with the three last tags of the "function" category, and post messages about it on my blog :wink:

I'm glad I can still add new presets to my entry :hihi:

Wolfen666 wrote:I'm going to spend three hours and half in the train :hihi: At the end, I should have two new sets to upload. Before the end of the week, I will add 5-6 sets with dumb advices and KVR private jokes, one about the Frustrated Songwriter's Handbook, one with advice tems about mixing, another one about learning guitar. I'd like to add some proverbs and haiku. Finally, I will add examples of what you can do with the three last tags of the "function" category, and post messages about it on my blog :wink:

I'm glad I can still add new presets to my entry :hihi:
No guitar
Playing
But I can help you
with private jokes. (haiku):lol:

:hihi:

Hi Wolfen. I don't know if this is a bug or intentional but if the phrase being inputted into a new set contains words with apostrophes, the apostrophes disappear. Can't becomes cant, don't becomes dont. :?:

Also, I noticed that in the "Horizontal Strategies" set, the source of the quotations is always "-musicalentrophy (2012)".
Let say I will have a new set that will be titled "Philosophy" and it is to contain quotes from many philosophers is there a way to do that?

Hello :wink:
I don't know if this is a bug or intentional but if the phrase being inputted into a new set contains words with apostrophes, the apostrophes disappear. Can't becomes cant, don't becomes dont.
That's really weird. Are you using my editor to add new sets ? Or a text editor ? I have created a lot of advice items with apostrophes, and I didn't have any issue with it. One more question, are you using the Windows or the Mac version ?
Also, I noticed that in the "Horizontal Strategies" set, the source of the quotations is always "-musicalentrophy (2012)".
Let say I will have a new set that will be titled "Philosophy" and it is to contain quotes from many philosophers is there a way to do that?
Well, the quotation is only for the set author. But if you want to add an author for any advice item, you should write it in the advice item, like this :

"Blablabla (Chuck Norris)"

This is how Brian Eno has done in its own Oblique Strategies, when he quoted someone else :wink:

Time for another haiku:

Silence. Just inspiration.
Why does your creativity
make no sound?

:lol:

Wolfen666 wrote:That's really weird. Are you using my editor to add new sets ? Or a text editor ? I have created a lot of advice items with apostrophes, and I didn't have any issue with it. One more question, are you using the Windows or the Mac version ?
I am copying and pasting quotes from a text editor into your editor. I am on Windows 7 64-bit.
Wolfen666 wrote:Well, the quotation is only for the set author. But if you want to add an author for any advice item, you should write it in the advice item, like this :

"Blablabla (Chuck Norris)"

This is how Brian Eno has done in its own Oblique Strategies, when he quoted someone else :wink:
One set per author. Okay, I understand now. Thank you very much for the reply. :)

Oh, I almost forgot. Is it alright to use your Inspiration plugin for a video that I plan to make. I should have asked permission here instead of elsewhere in the thread. It's just going to be a video of quotes from all over, using your plugin.

Time for another haiku:

Silence. Just inspiration.
Why does your creativity
make no sound?
:lol:
I am copying and pasting quotes from a text editor into your editor. I am on Windows 7 64-bit.
I'm going to see if I can do something about it. Anyway, the text editors have been developed to remove "non standard" characters. The ' should be okay, but the ' for example is not...
Oh, I almost forgot. Is it alright to use your Inspiration plugin for a video that I plan to make. I should have asked permission here instead of elsewhere in the thread. It's just going to be a video of quotes from all over, using your plugin.
No problem, and don't hesitate to put the link of your video here :wink:

Hi again Wolfen. Wow. Nearly all the famous quotations that I have been gathering from the internet used the "downhill" apostrophe instead of the "uphill" apostrophe. So, I simply used my text editor's "find and replace" function to turn the downhill apostrophes to uphill apostrophes and now they are not disappearing anymore when pasted into your Inspiration's built in editor. It is a working solution. Whew, what a relief.

During testing of your plugin, in the DISPLAY mode, I found that a lot of the quotations or advices were repeating. So, for the purpose of making the video, I am just going to video your plugin in the EDIT mode, to avoid repeats. Thanks again. :)

Hi again Wolfen. Wow. Nearly all the famous quotations that I have been gathering from the internet used the "downhill" apostrophe instead of the "uphill" apostrophe. So, I simply used my text editor's "find and replace" function to turn the downhill apostrophes to uphill apostrophes and now they are not disappearing anymore when pasted into your Inspiration's built in editor. It is a working solution. Whew, what a relief.

The new version I'm going to upload in a few hours has no more this issue :D
During testing of your plugin, in the DISPLAY mode, I found that a lot of the quotations or advices were repeating. So, for the purpose of making the video, I am just going to video your plugin in the EDIT mode, to avoid repeats. Thanks again.
You're welcome :wink: I'm using a standard random numbers generation algorithm, I wonder if it is possible to make the "randomness more random" :D

Wolfen666 wrote: I wonder if it is possible to make the "randomness more random" :D
I am an extreme newbie in terms of computer programming but I heard that you can use CPU internal noises at the atomic level as a seed generator to make things more random.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”