Phuturetone Philteroid Support - Updated to v1.0.07

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Philteroid

Philteroid updated to V1.0.07:

http://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-c ... #dc12-6665

v1.0.07 (16 Feb 2012)
Fixed:
• Removed all obsolete 3rd party modules.
• Updated the Info page.

v1.0.05 (27 Nov 2012)
Fixed:
• Not working in PreSonus StudioOne. Now works.
• Increased saturation oversampling. Less aliasing, but more CPU.

v1.0.03 (13 Nov 2012)
Fixed:
• Control labels enlarged.
• Triggering threshold decreased.
• Presets removed because of changed threshold.
• Resonance scaling improved. A little more resonance on low frequencies/less on high frequencies.
• ADSR envelope. Long release segment would accumulate on negative side attenuating overall level of envelope.
• ADSR trig input list item labels. MIDI "Retrig" changed to "MIDI", and MIDI "Legato" changed to "Bypass".

v1.0.02 (07 Nov 2012)
Fixed:
• Host crashes when input set to zero.
• Envelopes glitch on gate off.
• Keyboard tracking off on gate off.

v1.0.01 (07 Nov 2012)
Fixed:
Philteroid crashes on project recall with following alert: "Timeout During WaitForFadeout()".

v1.0 (06 Nov 2012)
Initial release.

Philteroid FAQ:

Why there's no sound?
This effect has envelopes and envelopes needs to be triggered by the gate. Gate is produced by incoming audio whenever it's level exceeds threshold level. Sensitivity switch is used to chose from 3 preset threshold levels. Also there's an Input control which you can use to fine tune triggering.

Here's a small tut video: "How to Set Correct Triggering"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHqX7qK7_YY&feature=plcp

Why not just lower the threshold of Philteroid?
I lowered the threshold in v1.0.03. Once DC is over, I'll be able to add new functions to the VST. Then I'll add Preferred Peak Level menu. Still, "correct triggering" is important because the level of input signal affects the level of many controls (FM amount, envelope follower amount, AM amount...). If signal is too low, that's no good because all those controls can't reach maximum range. If signal is too high, also not good.

Can Envelopes be triggered by MIDI?
Yes. Create new MIDI track, and send MIDI from it to the track where Philteroid is. Select Philteroid from the list of MIDI receivers. Now on Philteroid set Trig ADSR input to "MIDI". Draw notes on MIDI track that you created or copy the ones going to the synth. Make sure notes are not tied.

You can also use this routing to keep the gate always open, Just draw one long note on that MIDI track.

Or you can use it for trance gate. Draw the note pattern you wish on that MIDI track and set AR Envelope Release on Philteroid to minimum.

Is it possible to route the envelope follower to the cutoff frequency?
Yes, it's possible. Here's some helpful info:
http://www.phuturetone.com/css/images/P ... llower.png

What does Filter Correction do?
When Filter Correction is set to the left it subtracts Band Pass from the filtered signal. When it set to the right it subtracts Band Pass and adds Low Pass and High Pass to the filtered signal.

Here are some usage examples:
1. Set Filter State to Band Pass (50) and Filter Correction to +100 to get Notch filter type. Resonance 0 gives wide notch, Resonance 100 narrow notch.
2. Set Filter State to Band Pass (50) and Filter Correction to +33 to get something like peak EQ. All frequencies are passed and Resonance knob controls the gain of Cutoff Frequency.
3. Set Filter State to Low Pass or High Pass and Filter Correction to -100 to get resonant Low Pass or High Pass filer type with 6dB/Oct slope.
4. Set Filter State to Low Pass or High Pass and Filter Correction to +100 to get combos of Low Pass+Notch or High Pass+Notch.
5. Set Filter State to Band Pass and Filter Correction to -100 to get no sound. BP-BP=0. This setting has no practical implementation, just mentioned to be aware of it.

If I set Harmonics to anything but Free the Freq2 does not appear to be working?
When Harmonics is activated Filter 2 is synced to the Filter 1 Frequency. Filter 2 Frequency and Envelope controls are dismissed. Harmonics knob controls the offset between two filters.

Why 8 outputs?
Beside main output, there are 3 audio outputs to be used as CV, when linking many instancies of Philteroid. As main output needs to be stereo pair, other outputs need to be stereo also.

How to use Filter ADSR to control Cutoff of other VST?
It can't send envelope to other instruments, just to another Philteroid.

How it can send the Envelope to another Philteroid?
Create 2 Philteroids, and one additional Audio track which receives audio from one Philteroid and sends audio to another. You can use I/O audio channels named 3/4. Now set on master Philteroid ADSR Output to Out3, and on slave one set FM Input to In3. FM knob will act like external ADSR depth control.

Similar routing can be used for LFO or Link. Still, when using Link, slave device should receive it trough Link In, not FM in. In link mode slave's Filter Frequency 1 is dismissed and has no effect cause its controlled by Filter Freq 1 of master device.

Are the presets coming back?
Once I tweak them to match new triggering sensitivity will include them again.

It would be really great to have a manual!
I'll release video tutorials ASAP.
Last edited by Phuturetone on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thanks for the information, that clarifies many questions. If it's further improved, you still could win me for a medium-sized vote... :wink:

Super doap.
ImageImageImageImage

Nice one! Will watch the vid later to day.

cheers
T

Just wanted to chime in and say this is one fun plugin, and anyone who still remains confused as to what the concept/history behind it is, might want to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37hCdB86BM

ccDuckett wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say this is one fun plugin, and anyone who still remains confused as to what the concept/history behind it is, might want to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37hCdB86BM
:love: :hug: Thanks for the video! I've looked at some shops and I've seen that a real (hardware) Sherman Filterbank 2 costs nearly $1,000...and here we get this (plugin) imitation for free... I think I have to add the Philteroid to my Top 5. OTOH, I hope that the guy doesn't get problems with Mr. Herman Gillis aka "Sherman"... :oops:

doesn't work in studio one. had to load it in energy as a sub host. otherwise a very nice plugin. however, some kind of saturation in the feedback path would make it sound less digital...
other than that - :clap: :tu:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

brok landers wrote:doesn't work in studio one. had to load it in energy as a sub host. otherwise a very nice plugin. however, some kind of saturation in the feedback path would make it sound less digital...
other than that - :clap: :tu:
Thanks for comments and suggestions!

I made a version which works in PreSonus Studio One. Still need to test it to be sure that fix didn't cause some other problems.

Best regards,
Sasha

still no luck in studio one. and now with energy xt as a subhost, the input/output is mono. :(
dunno if that was the case with the last version too, but i doubt it.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

brok landers wrote:still no luck in studio one. and now with energy xt as a subhost, the input/output is mono. :(
dunno if that was the case with the last version too, but i doubt it.
Sorry for confusion, I haven't released it officially yet. Waiting for confirmation from users that it actually works in Studio One. Once I get yes, I'll make it public.

I'm sending you the DL link in PM.

Cheers,
Sasha

Now updated to v1.0.05 and finally works in PreSonus StudioOne.

Direct link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25762796/Phutu ... dVSTfx.zip

Cheers

(I think I am using the next-to-latest version atm..)

Does anyone have the envelope-linking 'channel3' thing working in FL Studio?

Ive just been banging around with it for a minute and I cant get it to work. Just want to confirm its working for someone.

This thing is really great. :)
Dont forget the manual. ;)
ImageImageImageImage

It works in S1 now, but it uses ridiculous amounts of CPU (12-15% of my C2D @ 2.66Ghz).

Also, please include some presets and a manual. Intuitive it's not the word to describe this thing.

Thanx.

@ccDuckett: I really enjoyed the Sherman video, thanx.

highkoo wrote:(I think I am using the next-to-latest version atm..)

Does anyone have the envelope-linking 'channel3' thing working in FL Studio?

Ive just been banging around with it for a minute and I cant get it to work. Just want to confirm its working for someone.

This thing is really great. :)
Dont forget the manual. ;)
Hi, is it possible in FL Studio to create a mix track that receives specified audio channel from another track?

Thanks,
Sasha

Phuturetone wrote: Hi, is it possible in FL Studio to create a mix track that receives specified audio channel from another track?
Yep!
Just got it working, easy peezy!
And that is really just sweet icing on the cake. I was already loving it. :)
I used four or five of em in the track I did that I will post at some point.
Thanks!
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”