What's up with the DC14 prize fund?

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Six weeks before the end of the DC14 it is more or less stuck at ~ $400, a bit low in my opinion and not a very high motivation for developers. DC12 reached over $2300. Are we so spoiled with good free plugins nowadays? Afraid of yet another 32bit windows Synthedit plugin? Has DC reached its peak two years ago? Or does everybody wait for the last day to donate?
Whatever it is, I still like the concept of the developer challenge and even if I already donated, I am going to throw in another $30 and hope that others will follow...

fese wrote:Afraid of yet another 32bit windows Synthedit plugin?
yep. problem with dc is that far to many people want to participate bringing forth a slew of the same obsolete x32 se/sm plugs. if real coding developers like u-he, synapse, fabfilter, ect released plugins then it would actually make it worthwhile. but seeing how this is so not the case, dc14 is doomed. i can't see it any other way.

Maybe because they're musicians who just need something to help them out. There are few engineers who actually got the education to program an advanced VST plugin in C++. I certainly have no such education!

Maybe next DC we should focus on making the development time a full year.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

And it's not like that there were only the commonly frowned upon se/sm plugins in the last DCs. DC12 brought us Proximity, Transient, PTEq-1a, SoftAmp 3OD and DustBucket (and others), all now renowned products in the freeware plugin world and frequently recommended here at KVR. And all of them native x64 and some even Mac!

you could buy some of my stuff today :) i would sort of look at it as a prize.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Well I took a look around at crowd funding alternatives:
  • There is first of all the kickstarter projects which is the most well known of them.
  • There's also Indiegogo alternative. A little lesser known but as equally good.
  • A third alternative is  Pledgie that claims to be the biggest fund raiser outthere. I couldn't really tell if that's the case.
  • Another alternative to raising funds is to use AdFly or similar link redirection services which shows an ad a few seconds then redirects you to the wanted URL. Doesn't generate as much money per hit, but if KvR sets up a link to the DC'14 page through it then pretty much all visitors pay to see the content.
  • Then there is also the function of premium membership. You pay €10 per month to skip watching ads, getting a premium section and more goodies like that. If 50% of t he incomes from that function is directed to the DC funds, and if say 1000 persons sign up,  just like that another €5000 made for the fund.
As you see there is several alternatives to pursue to increase the prizefund.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

Hmm. If people don't donate directly here on KVR, why would they donate on some crowd funding platform? People already have an account here, and most probably also paypal, it is just the matter of clicking on the button and donating $5-10 which is probably a fraction of the money most people spent on payware over the year.
Or KVR could just simply donate the money generated by the DC14 pages.

Well, even on the site itself something could be done with the position of the whole banner, etc. It says something that the current banner is placed such that it was literally just a week ago (mid June.. the thing launced April!) that I even noticed it.. and only because I was searching for previous DCs in order to get some ideas (well, mostly "what people care/don't care about") for the next one "in case it might happen" (and then it's already going).

So... yeah.. if you want the prize-fund to go up, maybe actually moving the banner so it's seen would be the first step. :)

i only noticed it 2 weeks ago myself, so you're not alone.

i'm not particularly concerned with the fate of this fund, but i would like to thank someone for the sale apparently instigated by my earlier post... looks like i get to buy food instead of a nonpayment fee this month! :) that's what i call a tangible outcome :) and i'm sure the other independent developers who have proven their enthusiasm over duration would be similarly appreciative..

btw that thing you all voted for was just a delay, and i hate you all for it. meanwhile, eg. heliox (something authentically novel/real development), and the proffered successor, ignored..
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

xoxos wrote:i only noticed it 2 weeks ago myself, so you're not alone.

i'm not particularly concerned with the fate of this fund, but i would like to thank someone for the sale apparently instigated by my earlier post... looks like i get to buy food instead of a nonpayment fee this month! :) that's what i call a tangible outcome :) and i'm sure the other independent developers who have proven their enthusiasm over duration would be similarly appreciative..

btw that thing you all voted for was just a delay, and i hate you all for it. meanwhile, eg. heliox (something authentically novel/real development), and the proffered successor, ignored..
Well I know what I Don't like about that particular plugin, it's the whole 0 - 1 setting paradigm.

Well what needs to be done is that the whole DC advert is being placed topmost so people see it. That's what got me going 2006, 2007, and 2009 at least. No wonder we don't get any funds when people can't see the challenge is up and about!
JoBroMedia since 1996.

jobromedia wrote:No wonder we don't get any funds when people can't see the challenge is up and about!
I think all the advertising above the DC14 label is much more important. :D

If I remember well the last time, the funds increased a lot during the votes :wink:

I gave my $5, wish I could give more. Maybe once I have a job again... also it is only manually updated, so it is more than shown at any given time I think.

The whole idea is to encourage new talent. Its not about the money.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”