What's up with the DC14 prize fund?

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

xoxos wrote:you could buy some of my stuff today :) i would sort of look at it as a prize.
I love Elder Thing. Combined with ReflexFree, it sounds crazy scary haha. What a great synth for Halloween. I may set up speakers next to the door... :D

Kriminal wrote:The whole idea is to encourage new talent. Its not about the money.
Of course the prize money doesn't cover the time the devs invest in creating a plugin for the DC, but it is a nice reward, isn't it? And getting 30% (first place) of $500 or $2500 as a prize is a difference. Might pay for a new computer to develop more stuff on, or a JUCE license...
So bump for this thread and people please keep donating :ud:

I admit I haven't donated this year (did in previous years), as the originality seems to be diminishing. My opinions are not other's, but they are mine, and I can't force myself to enjoy something that sounds basic.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

An even weirder thing is that there seems to be no "sponsored prizes" like the last couple DCs...or is it listed somewhere else?

In my opinion:
Internet is full of great free plugins and developers releasing them when THEY want.

Moreover, some developers (eg. Signaldust) decided to release they plugins later (and maybe not for free) due the deadline because they noticed DC14 too late. I had been a beta tester for Signaldust plugin and I'd like to say, that is shame that his plugin could not be finished before DC14 entry was closed, because it's really powerful plugin - absolute winner for me.

About donation:
I donated some bucks for previous DCs, but plugins that I voted for did not won anything from prize fund. Therefore I decided to donate money to those developers whose plugins I like and stay away from donation for Developer Challenge 2014.

EDIT:

Prize Fund:
Frankly speaking, nowadays is big problem to sell plugins here in KVR Audio Market Place for reasonable price, nobody want's to spent his/her money for anything.

From DC14 entries is Nova-67P winner for me and TripleCheese from all of DCs.
Last edited by U-o on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
yzcoruhT

I have donate 2 $ That is why there is no round prize in the jackpot ! :tu:

RunBeerRun wrote:I admit I haven't donated this year (did in previous years), as the originality seems to be diminishing. My opinions are not other's, but they are mine, and I can't force myself to enjoy something that sounds basic.
I have the same feeling. :( This year impressed me only 1 or 2 plugins, because others:
- have some nasty bugs
- don't work in FL11, Win8
- bring nothing special (are boring)
- can't download due too much traffic and links have been temporarily disabled
- are for Kontakt (which I don't own) or iOS
- are soundware for a small group of users

I'm missing some developers participated to DC14 - eg: cytoSonic, Phuturetone, Sleepy-Time DSP, g200kg

:(
yzcoruhT

I am not sure if people take part because of the prizes.. at least we took part with our plugin PanCake 1.0 in 2009 because of the competition as such, and even more so for the publicity.

So main reason was to get feedback from users at KVR, and if I remember well some of the DC plugins got also featured in magazines, which might have been harder without the DC.

I didnt donate.
But it had nothing to do with my own personal assessment of the "quality" of the entries...

Believe it or not, the DC is not really about us as users.
We should not limit our appreciation based just on that perspective.
We should try to not be selfish and short sighted, and recognize the 'event' for what it brings to the various 'communities' involved.
Or not. Whatever.
ImageImageImageImage

Well I donated $11 to get the fund more evenly defined.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

U-o wrote:
I'm missing some developers participated to DC14 - eg: cytoSonic, Phuturetone, Sleepy-Time DSP, g200kg

:(
Don't know about the rest but the last I spoke to phuturetone - he decided to focus more on his graphic designing career. Should probably sent him a e-mail to see how things are going.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”