Want to do some alpha testing?

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm working on a KVR-DC entry (we'll see which year I'll manage to finish it).. it's a synthesizer (let's hope it's not too much a spoiler if I say it's not a VA.. no analog modeling this time.. but beyond that I don't want to go into details) and I might want to have a few (5-10 max) people who I could send horribly broken and mutually patch incompatible versions that miss all the features you would like to have... and then expect them to actually try to use them for something and send me feedback based on what they would like to see, what they think is horribly broken, and then iterate at a reasonably fast schedule (don't apply if you're busy with lots of other stuff.. this is on deadline and it's nowhere near complete, so need fast cycles).

Development builds will be Windows VST 32-bit (don't want to bother with 64-bit slowing things down until it's ready for release) and you WILL need a powerful computer (make it work, then make it fast if time)... but if interested, please send me email and try to convince me that it's worthwhile to let you test it. :)

I'd really prefer people with previous testing and/or sound design experience (and possibly interest in making a few factory patches once it's more or less finished), but .. given the time table I probably shouldn't be too selective. I also want to make it clear that my intention is to actually get this done for this year's DC.. so if things get delayed, I'll probably cut features. Current state is "sort of playable, several things broken, several things need redesign, several things missing, GUI = knobs in a black window."

Please do NOT apply if:

- you are going to entry something into KVR DC yourself (really, let's keep this fair)

- you would like to try a finished tool (the thing is still somewhat in the "prototype" stage)

- you usually need a manual to figure things out (should a manual eventually happen, it'll be the last thing)

- you're not interested (at least in theory) in trying new (horribly broken) builds at least around weekly from now to end of July (the deadline for this year) ..

- you have no sound design experience (there will be no presets obviously, and I'll probably keep breaking patch compatibility between versions, because trying to avoid it takes time; no need to make presets, as long as you can live without a factory bank)

- you are not interested in electronic music (this thing is unlikely to emulate physical instruments well)

--

edit: oh forgot... Advantages to applying is that you actually have a chance of influencing the design.. I've basically made up my mind on the basic architecture, but beyond that there's a bunch of things (this thing has some unconventional flexibility) where ideas are welcome and I'll probably be able to implement at least some of those, or change existing stuff to be more practical, etc.. stuff that you normally can't convince developers to change after release. :)

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”