The KVRDC14 results are out!!!

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Me?
5 Points: JBM Zoundle
4 Points: blewm
3 Points: Instretch
2 Points: Paraphrasis
1 Points: Brakeback Mangler

lesha wrote:I would really like to know how many new KVR members who registered in August voted for Acon Digital...
I'd be one of those, but no plot here, I promise! I think it's a very good (win deserving) plugin and it is one of the few free chorus plugins that sounds real high quality. I didn't expect it to win, or even really get noticed. I was completely expecting Nova67p to win, or one of the mastering plugins, so I voted mostly underdogs (Q-melon, Epicentre, Strum).

I read the argument that Multiply is nothing special, but I really don't agree with that. Let's give the creator some credit. I don't think there are many free high-quality choruses out there, in contrary to almost all other types of plugins. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the reason it ended up with all the votes. I think it's probably even the best free chorus out there atm, which I wouldn't easily claim of 2nd place Nova67p. It's really great, but I don't think it's a match for Melda Productions MEqualizer to give an example. I took that in mind when I voted.

I don't wanna start a polemic but IMO Nova67p was deserve the 1st place... -_-

Well, ok. :)

Congrats to all the wieners! :P
ImageImageImageImage

I forgot to vote (sadly I almost didn't find time/will to play music or spend time with gear this month :(); anyway, based on the little time spent with these year's entry, Multiply would have been my first choice. I've been impressed by it.
I should have spent more time playing with the entries in order to really be able to vote, but my top preference would have been for Multiply.

I think the winner has two strenghts (at least):
- it sounds very good (I tried it on some synths and it was delicious!)
- it seems to be a lot useful (I think I could use it as a mix tool to widen sounds and put them in the background, not just an fx on some keyboard sounds)

Some of the other entries look more "specialized"/"geared toward some users". Nova 67P looks great, but I didn't scratch its surface, it is somehow complex to use. But a good chorus like Multiply... who doesn't want/need one?

yiNXs wrote:I think it's probably even the best free chorus out there atm, which I wouldn't easily claim of 2nd place Nova67p. It's really great, but I don't think it's a match for Melda Productions MEqualizer to give an example. I took that in mind when I voted.
AFAIK MEqualizer isn't a dynamic EQ :wink:
It's easy if you know how

jobromedia wrote:I'm entirely pleased with my 29th place. I went in just for the sh*ts and giggles. :D
At least I am only 2 places behind Xoxos :ud:
(originally wanted to publish this but did not manage to finish it in time)

I would be interested to know the complete number of voters though.

Last edited by WOK on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Yes, Melda Production MDynamicEQ still has a couple of features more than Nova67 (like individual attack/release/threshold values, different filter types).

BUT... IIRC the MDynamicEQ is a "series" EQ, not a "parallel" EQ.
And... if you turn off the band dynamics, it's a general compressor built in as well.

Both have their weaknesses and advantages. And let's not forget that Nova67p is free, while MDynamicEQ outside of the "50% Eternal Madness" discount is still 69EUR.

I prefer a versatile EQ over a chorus. Especially since my mixing style barely needs one.
YMMV. :shrug:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

It makes me feel old, but it is amazing that this year, along with the other high quality stuff, we had a physical modeling synth, a resynthesis synth, two dynamic eq/comp plugins, and a goddamn random music generator...
These kinds of things used to be sort of 'rare' kinds of tools and now they are being kicked out by bedroom guys for free. :party:

f**king love DC. :tu:
ImageImageImageImage

Jezz, I only just got around to downloading a few of them...
no chance for me to vote this year.

Wolfen666 wrote:So the ranking is this :

15. blewn by xoxos
that is certainly rank.

*edit* it's what's called "spelling" :wink:
Last edited by xoxos on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Gotta love the play on words. :hihi:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

This time I've voted for plugins (ReFine because I can use it on every track, Nova67P because I can use it on every master channel, and Dynamic Limiter because I can use it everytime I'm in trouble, love these), not for developpers. If it had been a developper award for their complete work, I would give points to Wok and Xoxos : men, your plugins f*****g rock, I've been using them for ages, everybody use some of them. To me you're like superstars of VST plugins, I was very surprised to see your work in this contest, I expected mostly newcomers. Please don't take this result too seriously, to my view it's just like Batman overcooked a pie : who gives a shit at last, it's Batman, he's already made 10 000 awesome things before and will do so in the future !
BTW I agree with what Highkoo said, this is amazing, the average level was incredibly high this year, excellent plugins !
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I also voted on plugins that I would use. Sure, there were a couple of things that looked damned interesting, and would have gotten my vote back in 2003-2004, but I've been concentrating on guitar lately, so I downloaded and voted for plugins that would be used there.

Very cool to see the guitar amp sims take 3rd and 4th place. I was able to get killer sounds out of both of them and hope that both developers continue to put out quality stuff. Not to mention the fact that they were able to troubleshoot an issue I had. :D
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

thanks for all of the entries everyone! the voting was probably definitely subjective, but -- in any event -- the world is 'richer' for having all of these new 'softwares'.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”