papua merdeka

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

interestingly, today is "flag raising day" in west papua, which will cost you ten years in jail. an estimated third of west papua's indigenous population have been slaughtered since being given to indonesia for "governance". eg. freeport mcmoran (out of phoenix, az, u.s.a.) has a big mine there.

but you don't have to get macheted, raped, burned, or your village shot up to use this plugin!

what am i supposed to say
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

^Edgy intro, quality synth though imo :) , is this like vosim on crack? I can make it growl and stuff, seems to work fine in Renoise 3.1, though clicking through the scales while having a pattern playing, gave a nasty pop cutting off any subsequent audio,...I probably shouldn't be doing that? Cheers

none of the temperaments are too wild, i ought to have included some off the wall options (but you can always alter pitch tracking with modulation), i figured one of these days i'd finish up some music with some synth trumpet parts, and the tuning would be good for that. but yeah, temperament wasn't really intended for modulation during performance, soz.

it's no DC winner, just a bit of novelty fun i was able to share and attach a worthwhile message to. :) use my five seconds of public awareness for something decent.

if you're in that stage where your jollies are making cheesy music with romplers and physical models, do some high runs with the brass patches (33-40). :lol:
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

This reminds me some classic FM sound.
(Yes, Phase Distortion!)
I found this is slightly difficult to make new sound for me, even if I have experience of those Fm synths.
Anyway, many presets are quite useful for my early 90's oldskool tracks.
Thanks again for the nice synth!

Yudaidhun
soundcloud.com/yudaidhun

this vst offers a single oscillator using a novel algorithm. as has been noted, there are some similarities to vosim and phase distortion, but the algorithm is as different from either as they are from each other at the least.

for readers who do not otherwise have the facilities or inclination to investigate, here's some snapshots at 120dB. note the steep rolloff and varied resonance shaping ;)

as far as "what is this synth useful for,"

a notable characteristic of the method is the ripple in the resonance contour (fixed frequency, variable oscillator pitch) which will give you a different behaviour from other oscillators. i'd say, distortion > tb303 line would elicit its unique character. otherwise, the difference between this osc and PD et c. is most overt in wide range pitch modulation.

i noticed that i didn't limit the glide function to legato playing (some of the functions required a custom midi > cv build) so i'll update that in a while ;)

vst has been updated for correct glide function! now only glides with legato playing
https://static.kvraudio.com/files/383/papuamerdeka.zip

also made an audio demo
http://xoxos.net/vst/mp3/papuamerdeka.mp3

+ reverb, delay, drums, voice synth

back when i finished it i wrote a bit i left out of the manual, about the procedure behind developing PM:
all parts of this method were selected to suit the application instead of generalised synthesis, and may have been quite different if built by another developer or on another day. it exemplifies the kind of product those literate in audio synthesis would produce if their work was to meet an individual, specific task instead of appeal to the vagaries of the marketplace and generalised application. so, in a way, it is an artifact of a culture that is not represented in the marketplace. all you really need to know is that it's similar to phase distortion and makes beep sounds which are superficially similar to those produced by any other electronic process, and that it can also be a cheesy fake trumpet. given the incidental nature of eventuality, perhaps some of those beep sounds will be special to you.
after pursuing the brass emulation method and adapting it for non emulation, the design value was to make it as efficient as possible, so i used several methods that developers generally wouldn't use that create unique character. for instance, in synth mode, the pitch lfo is s&h'ed at the beginning of each wavecycle. since this modulator can be driven into audio rate, this produces different harmonics than continuous variation (this technique has been used by other developers but discretion prohibits me from indicating which ones). this is used in several presets to produce the pseudo randomisation effects.

so basically, it's a bunch of methods chosen mostly for efficiency that congealed to create one idiosyncratic instrument. other methods wouldn't sound the same, eg. in this manner, some of the "fidelity improvements" most people would implement would produce different character, maybe the same type you'd already find in other synths.

I like it. Of course, focused on a certain kind of sounds. What I like more is the flyish sound given by the harmonics. Don't know if they can be set as risers.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

In combination with a spreader and a reverb it sounds pretty good on brass melodies.

as always, it's the outpouring of public acknowledgement and compassion that makes an event like the DC special :) i'm touched that so many of you reached out to express your concern and desire for awareness.
westpapuaindonesians.jpg
here's a more pleasant picture than one usually sees, indonesians bowing to west papuans to apologise for the actions of their "government". as detailed above, you know the usual story.
The most corrupt part of Corporate America is responsible for the occupation of West Papua, a colonization that Cold-war architect Robert Lovett and John Rockefeller from early 1959 wanted for their Freeport Sulphur mining company that wanted West Papua's gold. At the same instant in May 1959 a junior US diplomat proposed an illegal scheme by which the US gov't could in effect sell people to Indonesia like property by perverting the UN Trusteeship system - a system described in UN Charter chapter XII that required the Dutch to sign a single agreement transferring responsibility (trusteeship) to the UN General Assembly and be approved by the Assembly (see UN General Assembly resolution 1752); see https://history.state.gov/historicald.. ... 60v17/d203

. . This illegal scheme got Indonesian support by March 1961, see https://history.state.gov/historicald.. ... 63v23/d150

. . . Six months later the UN Secretary General Dag Hammarskjold was killed and replaced by U Thant who supported the illegal scheme, telling newspapers in August 1962 of his personal endorsement of the deal, with-holding text of the "New York Agreement" from the UN members for five weeks until on 19 September he announced that the issue of West Papua would be voted on without debate in the UN General Assembly on Friday afternoon 21 September 1962. The members had an option of voting against the new UN Secretary General or to vote for what he wanted; 14 nations refused to vote and afterwards explained some of the immoral mis-conduct of this action by the 1%

. . . How did the corrupt UN Secretary General help Freeport loot West Papua's gold and other wealth? Both UN Charter chapter XI (article 73) and chapter XII (article 76) make it illegal to loot and kill people in a colony; BUT the United Nations ONLY reacts if it is told about the mass murders & looting via an official yearly report which has to be made under either article 73(e) or article 88 of the UN Charter - and the corrupt UN Secretary General prevented the Trusteeship Council from commencing its legal duties under articles 88, 87, and 85 part 2 of the UN Charter by refusnig to tell the Trusteeship Council about the trusteeship resolution he had forced the General Assembly to make; in other words he exploited his position by NOT putting the issue of UN General Assembly resolution 1752 on the agenda of the Trusteeship Council ! ! ! ! ! So for 54 years anyone has been able to murder & loot the people of West Papua without the UN officially being told about the mass murders & looting that the UN is responsible for because it is the UN that occupied and forced itself on West Papua and forced West Papua to allow the Pakistani and then Indonesian troops in.
talk about west papua, open your ears for 22 seconds to hear the voice of these people in your hearts. let the world hear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dXN67TQAGg

to some people, music and synthesis may be more recreational, a small part of their lives. to me, audio synthesis (and the old timers around here note my dedication to procedural sound methods) is an opportunity to refine the ability to listen.

truth: a couple summers ago, whenever the air moved, i heard the same sound, kind of a repeating mwa-mwa (like charlie brown's teacher). over a couple weeks, i listened, and it became clearer... "papua.. papua.."

it was a group of women chanting papua over and over again. i didn't really know much so i hopped online and had a look, and found out about west papua.

this was something i was learning at the time - if you listen with your heart, your ears can reach all the way around the world.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks xoxos, your output is highly appreciated!

ta :)

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”