Lord of the Springs

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lord of the Springs

Lord of the Springs
(win 64/32) physical modeling based VSTi with 128 voices, 640 springs & one spring to rule them all.
L.o.t.S. DEMO 1 L.o.t.S. DEMO 2 L.o.t.S. DEMO 3 L.o.t.S. Theremin
(All demo tracks have L.o.t.S. as the only sound source, including drums & percussion)
Hi all,

this is the first time for me not only to join the KVR DC, but actually any developer challenge since 1989, I think ( :lol: ), in the good old demo scene days on the Amiga. It's also my very first vst release, though, while it's my second go at coding one (First one still W.I.P.).

I figure, if you guys try out Lord of the Springs and you run into any sort of troubles, here might be the right place to let me know and talk about it?! :shrug:

Anyway, I'm excited about taking part in it and am always blown away by what comes out here! I still dig space360, for example, hehe.
My humble little synth here is not as universal, but it's been a fantastic opportunity for me to finally do the physical modelling experiment I always wanted to start. It's got a number of unique powers, though, and I'm so curious about your reactions, of course. Pity I only started so late and I still have to learn so much more, but that's my leap into the cold water... brrrr.

Again, please, let me know, if you encounter any issues and hopefully I'm allowed to fix those, if I can! I already found two little things that went a bit wrong and wonder, if I could upload those. One is rather cosmetic, but the other could potentially cause some hosts to have an issue. :scared:

So much about my "Hi, my name is Taron, and I have a problem...fixed... :ud: "
Last edited by Taron on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

Am getting some nice Indonesian gamelan'ish vibes out of this one :) , love the detuning possibilities, cheers! Would be extra ace if it would be possible to open up .scl and/or .tun files for microtuning like possibilities, maybe something to look into for a future update? ;-)

Seems to work without any problems in Renoise 3.1, though I've encountered a soft humming noise in the background once, like a spring feedback that won't end, no matter if I turned down all dials to 0 it remained persistent. Dialing the phasers 'solo' parameter to its max position of 1 cut it of though.. will see if I can replicate, maybe it was just erroneous use on my part.

GREAT, thank you VERY much for the feedback, Jonas! :tu: :hug:
AH, yeah, Gamelan, that was the instrument I forgot to name... :dog: ... cool! :tu:

If you have any such things like a humming or- god forbid- a "clip-out", Midi Panic will reset it instantly! I saw to that. :oops:

YES, micro tuning is totally on the table. The 2 hidden features do randomize the microtuning for spring 1 and spring 2 respectively across the whole set. You can get to those with generic controls, if you can bring them up.
What I hadn't hooked up was main tune, which would be the place to really do micro tuning, but also to fully run LotS as theremin, haha, but that was just an afterthought to be honest. Works beautifully, though! :)

So, yes, YES, fantastic feedback, thanks again! :)

Don't hold back, if something troubles you either! I'm happily here to learn from you and everyone.

Hmmm, I tracked down the source of the potentially lingering ringing or humming, but it also altered/improved the sound of the second spring. I don't know, if it's ok, if I post this or not? :help:

only bugfixes updates are allowed, not feature updates, i'd definately call that a bugfix since the sustain is not intended :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I'd call it that, too, because it most certainly is exactly that, just that I want to make sure, it's ok, you know.
Thank you, already, for the encouragement. You know, I haven't even checked, who is moderating all this... :oops: ...maybe I can ask directly, too. But a peer being in favor means a lot to me already, naturally! :tu:

huh...well, I can't find, who is moderating this... could it be .jon? :shrug:

Well, ok, then! I've uploaded the update...

Lord of the Springs v1.0.1

Fixes:
  • Lingering/humming springs fixed! (I think!)
    The funny side effect of this is that the second spring now actually has gained substantial clarity, making the diffusion far more obvious. I've included the updated Default Bank, too.
  • preset name display and rename fixed!
    It was there, but didn't work. I figured out what the problem was and now it shows. I hope, it won't cause any other problems?! :pray:
I did take the liberty to do a minor cosmetic change to the mouse pointers. I just forgot about them, but that's really not a feature, I hope! Should that be a problem, I can always change it back, of course! :scared:
Last edited by Taron on Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Playing with it for the first time and wtihin ten seconds got a nice steel drum sound :)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VERY COOL! Thanks for letting me know! :tu:
Man, I'm really excited about the idea of hearing it used in a track! :hyper:

For some reason my preset didnt save though :(

Parameters arent showing in Bitwig except the currently tweaked one

Hum, that's weird... if it saves fxp, it should have no such troubles?! Ableton and MuLab work fine for sure.
Too bad I don't have Bitwig, but I would've imagined, since Ableton works...hmm... very strange!
WOW:
viewtopic.php?p=5706381
That's pretty fascinating and very, very surprising to me, but apparently Bitwig cannot handle fxp, which really is some kind of standard. Very, very strange indeed. :(

Dang', Vari, I'm so sorry. After this is all through, I will hook up proper preset management with my own format, but until then...Bitwig seems to be trouble. :shrug: :dog:
...hmmm, maybe via parameter automization you can at least save them with the project and a minor pain in the booty... :neutral:

I'm really sorry about this.

Taron wrote:Hum, that's weird... if it saves fxp, it should have no such troubles?! Ableton and MuLab work fine for sure.
Too bad I don't have Bitwig, but I would've imagined, since Ableton works...hmm... very strange!
WOW:
viewtopic.php?p=5706381
That's pretty fascinating and very, very surprising to me, but apparently Bitwig cannot handle fxp, which really is some kind of standard. Very, very strange indeed. :(

Dang', Vari, I'm so sorry. After this is all through, I will hook up proper preset management with my own format, but until then...Bitwig seems to be trouble. :shrug: :dog:
...hmmm, maybe via parameter automization you can at least save them with the project and a minor pain in the booty... :neutral:

I'm really sorry about this.
Not your fault :)

I should have saved it as a Bitwig preset but went about it the wrong way :dog:
Its preset handling isnt the most obvious

AH, so you can save it as that!? GReAT! :phew:
Man, I'm still sorry and annoyed I couldn't get to the internal preset management. Once I'll have written more vsts, I most certainly will have accumulated my own set of templates, which will make these things a lot easier. :roll:

What is the mod wheel mapped to as it appears to excite the resonators?

Oh yes, it's basically accelerating an imaginary ribbon across the springs, which truly scrapes in the direction you moving the modwheel, allowing for some rather "natural" behavior. The idea is that you can use it as active performance tool as you can hear it in some of my demo tracks, especially the last one demo02!
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/lordofthesprings-demo02

The bass like instance has the modwheel as active playing part.

Also, you can turn the "Hit Power" down to zero to exclusively stimulate the springs with the modwheel!

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”