Malefica (DC16)

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I can't find the oversampling and stereo switch. :borg:

Found. :tu:
Bild1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I see Windows version got updated - does it still try to write text logs to the plugin folder?

I've version 1.0.1 installed and this creates two files in the malefica-VST directory:

Malefica_java_stdout.txt
Malefica_log.txt

Shouldn't be a problem if your VST dir is writable.

Right, that works. But if your VST directory is in Program Files, it's not good security practice to allow non-admin users to write to it.

DSmolken wrote:Right, that works. But if your VST directory is in Program Files, it's not good security practice to allow non-admin users to write to it.
We will try to fix it in next Malefica plug-in version (1.0.2)! Thank you!

Can there be a JAVA-less release outside of the DC challenge?

The plugin refuses to recognize the already installed SDK. So... no chance to test, no possible points to give.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Can there be a JAVA-less release outside of the DC challenge?
No, we write our plug-ins and tools in Java. But we plan to distribute Malefica with installer which will check whether the JRE is installed.
Compyfox wrote:The plugin refuses to recognize the already installed SDK. So... no chance to test, no possible points to give.
You did not read Installation Notes from Malefica page:
(important) Download and install Oracle Java SE Runtime Environment 8 (or higher, x86 version for 32-bit plug-in version and x64 version for 64-bit plug-in version).
You can found it by the link.
We
strongly
recommend to download Online or Offline package versions (not just .tar.gz archive) (e.g. Windows x86 Online/Offline, Windows x64 Online/Offline), because they prepare necessary environment variables (PATH and JAVA_HOME);
Not SDK/JDK, but JRE only. Please to install plug-in properly perform this step of Installation Notes carefully.

Thank for your interest for our plug-in!

Evil Sound Lab wrote:
No, we write our plug-ins and tools in Java. But we plan to distribute Malefica with installer which will check whether the JRE is installed.
Compyfox wrote:The plugin refuses to recognize the already installed SDK. So... no chance to test, no possible points to give.
You did not read Installation Notes from Malefica page:
(important) Download and install Oracle Java SE Runtime Environment 8 (or higher, x86 version for 32-bit plug-in version and x64 version for 64-bit plug-in version).
You can found it by the link.
We strongly recommend to download Online or Offline package versions (not just .tar.gz archive) (e.g. Windows x86 Online/Offline, Windows x64 Online/Offline), because they prepare necessary environment variables (PATH and JAVA_HOME);
Not SDK/JDK, but JRE only. Please to install plug-in properly perform this step of Installation Notes carefully.

Thank for your interest for our plug-in!

Evil Sound Lab wrote:Not SDK/JDK, but JRE only. Please to install plug-in properly perform this step of Installation Notes carefully.
Apparently, this is not enough then...
JAVA.PNG
And I do use Open Office (which uses this "JRE").

Evil Sound Lab wrote:
Well, alright then...

Evil Sound Lab wrote:Thank for your interest for our plug-in!
Guess I just lost interest in it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Guess I just lost interest in it.
It's no big deal. Good luck!

p.s. all exceptional situations are described in "Important Note". You are studio owner, CTO of Mix Challenge (and many other), but you unable to read something that called "Important Note"? :dog:

Right - let's blow a bit below the belt. Fine with me...

I just don't see a reason to install another JAVA related "run time environment" if I already have one on my rig - and apparently it's not enough/not recognized (it's the right one even)... that's just too many hoops to jump through just to get a tool running to be honest.

Also... the "Important notice" was not part of the download package. The Readme also links to a "webpage" rather than stating "this is what you might run into". So those that are on offline rigs, are ultimately screwed.

I'd say... get the update done, try to fix this issue. Then I'll take another look. But as of this moment, not worth it to me trying to fix something that should work right out of the box.

Compyfox wrote:Right - let's blow a bit below the belt. Fine with me...
All right, and I apologize for my rudeness.
Compyfox wrote:I just don't see a reason to install another JAVA related "run time environment" if I already have one on my rig - and apparently it's not enough/not recognized (it's the right one even)... that's just too many hoops to jump through just to get a tool running to be honest.
Unfortunately, we do not know why your JRE version is not suited. Frankly speaking, it's an interesting issue. We will think about it and try to test Malefica plug-in on your Java version.
Compyfox wrote:The Readme also links to a "webpage" rather than stating "this is what you might run into". So those that are on offline rigs, are ultimately screwed.
We thought that "offline" is a legend today :) , but accepted - the Readme should be attached to the concrete product version, we will make it handy.
Compyfox wrote:I'd say... get the update done, try to fix this issue. Then I'll take another look. But as of this moment, not worth it to me trying to fix something that should work right out of the box.
We know this issue, but we didn't have time to resolve it up to the Challenge. There were painful details that preventing us to fix it quickly. But we totally agree with you that it should work right OOB and user shouldn't know about Java/JRE at all.

We will try to fix it and will inform you!
Thank you for peacefulness and for your care!

Looking froward to the update then... :tu:

BTW:
My rig is not "offline" - but I have many clients that turn off their LAN/WLAN while working...

Hi,
you can edit the ini file to tell the plugin where your JRE is located.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”