AXP SoftAmp PSA x64

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SoftAmp PSA

Thanks Alexander,

for this amp simulation! And for updating with the manual.
Takes a time to find out the sonic possibilities and this helps.

What I like a lot are the 5 distortion stages. Lots of fun experimenting and adjusting.
The denoiser and the Squeezo Extra Compressor are also great extras besides the speaker sim
and the asymmetric option.
So far got nice metal sounds out of it and also good crunchie ones.

:tu:
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Thank you, I'm glad you like it.
I too like the versatility of multiple controllable gain stages. It takes a while to get a good feel of the control interaction but it's well worth it.

Unlike many other distortion circuits, it has a sort of both pre- and post-clipping equalizers, but it's more than that.
Each tone control (Buzz/Punch/Crunch are essentially tone controls) affects the overdrive character of its corresponding stage AND all the further stages, so it's really interactive. The yellow/orange LEDs under the stage controls were meant to help see what each stage does to the sound.
My free VST guitar effects
www.soft-amp.com

Pasted from "the other thread" :D
AXP wrote:The manual is ready now, included in the same .zip file!
Hi Alexander,

First of all, thank you for this one, and all your other plugins :hug:

From the manual :

"PSI Denoiser and Squeezo Range may not work properly in Stereo mode."

When I use the Squeezo and switch to stereo I get strange channel separation with a bias above 39 (sometimes lower depending on the gain/level settings) is that what you mean ?

Furthermore : All you plugins that use a graph lose the graph when I hide the plugin and call it back up in FLStudio. I have to twiddle a knob or a switch to get it back again.

Oh and I really like what PSA is doing on some bassguitar :hyper: :tu:

Hi Yeager,

Thank you!

To meet the deadline I had to cut some corners, one of which was stereo mode. For the PSA preamp it was done right from the beginning since two channels are just processed independently. For PSI and Squeezo however I had to process both channels together (taking either average or maximum value) and it required an amount of (straightforward but time-consuming) code rewrite. The quick workaround I did was that I derived the gain for gating and compression based on the left channel only, and then applied the same value to the right one. That is the known issue.
What you describe sounds like a bug, even taking the aforementioned workaround into account. So I have it on my list and will see what's wrong ASAP.

And thanks for spotting the UI issue in FLStudio. I don't have the capacity to test all hosts myself, so it's definitely a very valuable finding.
www.soft-amp.com

Thanks Alexander

Here is a small sample of what I mean, it starts with a bass then I switch on Squeezo, then I turn on "Enable", (with some "drive" and "punch"....so far so good :hyper: ) then I turn on "Stereo" and I start to turn the "Bias" knob.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/862 ... SATest.mp3

BTW I'm using the 32bit plug and would never automate the bias under normal circumstances 8)

I would like to point out that this plugin is useful for more than just guitar. I've been using it for tape like saturation on full mixes, drums and instrument sounds using the Squeezo section with stereo engaged. As long as you keep the bias fairly low, the stereo image seems to stay intact. I encourage everyone to try it on other sources for added joy!

I kind of like the AXP SoftAmp PSA, but it behaves a bit different from what I expected. Also, when engaging the "speaker sim" section it doesn't sound like played through a cabinet. The "Speaker Sim" is some kind of EQ-curve right, not an actual impulse response of a real cbinet?

Izak Synthiemental wrote:I kind of like the AXP SoftAmp PSA, but it behaves a bit different from what I expected. Also, when engaging the "speaker sim" section it doesn't sound like played through a cabinet. The "Speaker Sim" is some kind of EQ-curve right, not an actual impulse response of a real cbinet?
Thanks!

It could be argued that impulse response and EQ are essentially the same thing from the mathematical perspective. But I get your point and yes, you are right, this plugin models the analog speaker sim found in the real hardware unit. The Shape and Roll-off knobs provide some controls of the speaker sim features not present in the hardware.
www.soft-amp.com

Izak Synthiemental wrote:I kind of like the AXP SoftAmp PSA, but it behaves a bit different from what I expected. Also, when engaging the "speaker sim" section it doesn't sound like played through a cabinet. The "Speaker Sim" is some kind of EQ-curve right, not an actual impulse response of a real cbinet?
Yes, and it sounds really good! none of that nasty comb filtering that is present in so many impulse responses. :tu: :tu:

pc2000 wrote:I would like to point out that this plugin is useful for more than just guitar.
I'll heartily second this. Definitely a keeper as an all purpose saturation/distortion effect. Thanks.

+1
on the top 5 in my votes, love its sounds and keep using it since has been released.

Another winner, and the "PSI Denoiser" section works *really* nice. I've been experimenting with just that section enabled as the first in my plugin chain and it might become my go to just for that on every guitar track.

You might be able to make a little extra money selling that on its own. :D
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Dominus wrote:Another winner, and the "PSI Denoiser" section works *really* nice. I've been experimenting with just that section enabled as the first in my plugin chain and it might become my go to just for that on every guitar track.

You might be able to make a little extra money selling that on its own. :D
Thanks!
I'm going to release it as a separate plugin. It also needs some more work I couldn't do on time before the deadline. And it's going to be free, I don't feel it's appropriate to charge for a model of commercial hardware unit.
www.soft-amp.com

It's fine if it's an enhanced/own design.

Speaking of which... did you get my mails?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:It's fine if it's an enhanced/own design.
Speaking of which... did you get my mails?
Oh yes I did. I was so excited that I had to let it sit for a day. And then later I didn't have time to write a proper reply, sorry for that. I will get to it shortly, there's much to discuss :)
www.soft-amp.com

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”