Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Youlean Loudness Meter

Youlean
KVRist

143 posts since 11 May, 2016, from Serbia

Postby Youlean; Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:01 pm Youlean Loudness Meter

Hi guys, I am a developer of Youlean Loudness Meter. This was released as part of KVR developer challange 2016. If you like it, you can vote for it
here. If you have any questions or comments please post here.

NOTE - You need to have playback engaged in your DAW in order for meter to work. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWlweTBHrvM

Changelog:

v1.0.5:
Added macOS installer.
Fixed settings not sticking after project reload.
Fixed jump when changing window size with mouse wheel.
Improved scrolling with histogram control.
macOS stability improvements.
Minor graphical glitches fixes.

v1.0.4:
Added manual.
Fixed small bug when switching from auto to non auto in Time Code mode.
Fixed wrong integrated and loudness range measurements if play position has jumped in the playlist.

v1.0.3:
Fixed random resetting transport in Bitwig Studio.
Many fixes regarding transport.

v1.0.2:
Fixed AU crash at load in Ableton Live.
Fixed true peak detection.
Fixed button that pauses integrated and loudness range measurements.

v1.0.1:
Fixed missing libraries on macOS.
Fixed volume boost in FL Studio.
Fixed FL Studio crash while detaching the plugin.
Fixed Reaper crash after play in Windows.
Fixed minor graphical glitches.
Last edited by Youlean on Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Compyfox
KVRAF

14164 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:55 am Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

I'd love to vote for it, but the most use out of this plugin for me would be, if I could use it in Wavelab.

And lo and behold... the plugin loads in both WL8 and WL9 x64, but it doesn't generate any output. What does work however, is the channel selection. Read: i can switch to Mono Analysis, and it switches the output to mono. Else... no dice.

Pity - solid wasted 5 points from my end.

It does work in Cubase 7.5 however (I've yet to test it in Cubase 9) - but I mostly use Cubase for productions, not mastering. So... yeah. Might be stupid a Steinberg SDK issue again.

Also... as of ITU-R BS.1770-2 (or was it -3?), the k-weighting's definition "LUKS" (naming convention) was renamed to LUFS. It's still the same, but the naming convention changed.

And two FR's

1) A "color code" engine

2) the "split" only sets the "reference" in color and only for the absolute scale. You can not(!) set a reference for the relative scale? (or none at all?! I mean, this is what the Integrated maths are built upon, no?)

Overall - interesting plugin, I like the resizing features, I DEFINITELY like the scale customization... I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ] | [ Video Project (in the making) ]
Youlean
KVRist

Postby Youlean; Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:37 am Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

Compyfox wrote:I'd love to vote for it, but the most use out of this plugin for me would be, if I could use it in Wavelab.

And lo and behold... the plugin loads in both WL8 and WL9 x64, but it doesn't generate any output. What does work however, is the channel selection. Read: i can switch to Mono Analysis, and it switches the output to mono. Else... no dice.

Indeed, it doesn't work here either. This plugin relies heavily on hosts so it may not work if something is differently implemented in it.

It does work in Cubase 7.5 however (I've yet to test it in Cubase 9) - but I mostly use Cubase for productions, not mastering. So... yeah. Might be stupid a Steinberg SDK issue again.

The most problems with this plugin I get in steinberg hosts, but I am actively working on fixing all the bugs.

Also... as of ITU-R BS.1770-2 (or was it -3?), the k-weighting's definition "LUKS" (naming convention) was renamed to LUFS. It's still the same, but the naming convention changed.

Really? Latest document mentions LKFS.

1) A "color code" engine

I didn't understand this.

2) the "split" only sets the "reference" in color and only for the absolute scale. You can not(!) set a reference for the relative scale? (or none at all?! I mean, this is what the Integrated maths are built upon, no?)

For now it can't, in the future there will be an option.

Overall - interesting plugin, I like the resizing features, I DEFINITELY like the scale customization... I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.

Thanks, this plugin is in really early stages, it will be developed for a long time into a future.
Aloysius
KVRAF

20505 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:43 am Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

If you make it to NAMM, you'll have a fantastic procuct and presentation.

Good luck! :tu:

This year's grand prize is from KVR Audio and NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants). The winning developer will have the opportunity to present their entry at the 2017 NAMM Show in Anaheim, California, January 19-22, 2017.

The winning developer will be provided with airfare to/from and hotel accommodation in Anaheim plus promotion and a presentation area at the NAMM Show to share the winning entry.
Hug a Thug.
Youlean
KVRist

Postby Youlean; Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:03 am Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

Aloysius wrote:If you make it to NAMM, you'll have a fantastic product and presentation.

Good luck! :tu:

Thanks! :D
Compyfox
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:48 am Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

youlean wrote:Indeed, it doesn't work here either. This plugin relies heavily on hosts so it may not work if something is differently implemented in it.

That has always been an issue with Steinberg. They have 5 hosts at this point (Sequel, Dorico, Nuendo, Cubase, Wavelab). All of them interpret the VST SDK completely different. As beta tester, I could tell you stories of frustration for various developers.

What kind of surprised me, is that the plugin does indeed load in Wavelab, but don't "process" any signal (read: no analysis). As if there is no internal connection happening. Additional to that, Wavelab 8 to Wavelab 9 saw another engine rewrite. So I kind of expected that your plugin works in one host version (lower), but not the other (higher).

I hope this gives you an indication where to look.

youlean wrote:

Really? Latest document mentions LKFS.

Oh well... distributions and all, online commentary. I really don't remember where the LKFS has been made obsolete. But I do remember reading it. Basically (and to my understanding from various white papers from the AES and co), LUFS = LKFS. LKFS declares that the meter has been using the "k-weighting filter", yet the readout is Loudness Unit Full Scale.

A matter of debate. Newer metering tools these days do show LUFS however on the absolute scale. Both is correct and within specs.

youlean wrote:
1) A "color code" engine

I didn't understand this.

By that I mean that you can color code your bargraph into more segments.

Have you heard of my K-System v2 concept (basically K-System v1, but ported over to ITU-R BS.1770-x with focus on the SLk meter). The original K-System uses 3 color codes: green, yellow and red. Like most digital bargraphs. I proposed "four" with an additional shade of green for a "hotspot area".

Example:
-if to 0-point reference: green
0-point to +3: yellow
+3 and up: red

As of this moment, you have one individual split and fixed color coding.

youlean wrote:

For now it can't, in the future there will be an option.

Looking forward to it.

youlean wrote:

Thanks, this plugin is in really early stages, it will be developed for a long time into a future.

For early stages, this thing is more fledged out to what I've seen throughout the years with other freebies or even commercial plugins.

As of this moment, I do consider this a huge competition to ToneBoosters and TBProAudio. And the scaling feature is just outstanding. So I'll definitely(!) keep my eye on this one.

Sadly - I can't give you full points because of the host incompatibility (not necessarily your fault, but other developers got this covered).
[ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ] | [ Mix Challenge ] | [ Video Project (in the making) ]
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

21113 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:57 am Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

It only works if the transport is running in Live 9 on Win8.1 ...
Youlean
KVRist

Postby Youlean; Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:01 pm Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

Compyfox wrote:
That has always been an issue with Steinberg. They have 5 hosts at this point (Sequel, Dorico, Nuendo, Cubase, Wavelab). All of them interpret the VST SDK completely different. As beta tester, I could tell you stories of frustration for various developers.

What kind of surprised me, is that the plugin does indeed load in Wavelab, but don't "process" any signal (read: no analysis). As if there is no internal connection happening. Additional to that, Wavelab 8 to Wavelab 9 saw another engine rewrite. So I kind of expected that your plugin works in one host version (lower), but not the other (higher).

I hope this gives you an indication where to look.

Yes, I suspect what it is. Plugin now needs for host to tell it if it is playing, if there is no message, plugin will not measure any data. This might be fixable if it is framework bug, but if it is Steinberg fault I won't be able to fix it, though I will consider adding "Free" histogram mode that will not be depended on that signal.

Oh well... distributions and all, online commentary. I really don't remember where the LKFS has been made obsolete. But I do remember reading it. Basically (and to my understanding from various white papers from the AES and co), LUFS = LKFS. LKFS declares that the meter has been using the "k-weighting filter", yet the readout is Loudness Unit Full Scale.

A matter of debate. Newer metering tools these days do show LUFS however on the absolute scale. Both is correct and within specs.

OK, I wasn't aware about that. I will research more about that. Thanks for the heads up!

By that I mean that you can color code your bargraph into more segments.

Have you heard of my K-System v2 concept (basically K-System v1, but ported over to ITU-R BS.1770-x with focus on the SLk meter). The original K-System uses 3 color codes: green, yellow and red. Like most digital bargraphs. I proposed "four" with an additional shade of green for a "hotspot area".

Example:
-if to 0-point reference: green
0-point to +3: yellow
+3 and up: red

As of this moment, you have one individual split and fixed color coding.

I was considering adding such an option. I will definitely think about that for the future versions.

For early stages, this thing is more fledged out to what I've seen throughout the years with other freebies or even commercial plugins.

As of this moment, I do consider this a huge competition to ToneBoosters and TBProAudio. And the scaling feature is just outstanding. So I'll definitely(!) keep my eye on this one.

Sadly - I can't give you full points because of the host incompatibility (not necessarily your fault, but other developers got this covered).

No problem, I did not made this plugin just for this competition. This plugin will be updated long time into a future (+ it will remain always completely free). :D
Youlean
KVRist

Postby Youlean; Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:02 pm Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

thecontrolcentre wrote:It only works if the transport is running in Live 9 on Win8.1 ...

This is normal behavior, I will consider adding "Free" histogram mode where running transport won't be needed.
rcrath
KVRist

36 posts since 3 May, 2005

Postby rcrath; Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:34 pm Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

Tried youlean meter yesterday but still trying to wrap my head around loudness metering, K-values, LUFS. A link or two to some info on loudness metering that unpacked the names and acronyms would be a welcome addition to the manual. Meanwhile (cracks knuckles in preparation for Google-fu)... ;)
Compyfox
KVRAF

Postby Compyfox; Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:43 pm Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

youlean wrote:Yes, I suspect what it is. Plugin now needs for host to tell it if it is playing, if there is no message, plugin will not measure any data. This might be fixable if it is framework bug, but if it is Steinberg fault I won't be able to fix it, though I will consider adding "Free" histogram mode that will not be depended on that signal.

I think that is exactly the problem.
If Wavelab is paused/halted, the plugin doesn't continue to process compared to all other hosts of theirs.

youlean wrote:OK, I wasn't aware about that. I will research more about that. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem - like I said... it's the same. But people debate what is the "correct naming convention". That's all. Maybe add that as a bonus option to your plugin, so that people can select whatever they want.

youlean wrote:I was considering adding such an option. I will definitely think about that for the future versions.

Once more - looking forward to it.

youlean wrote:No problem, I did not made this plugin just for this competition. This plugin will be updated long time into a future (+ it will remain always completely free). :D

And as mentioned as well, I will keep an eye on this one.

rcrath wrote:Tried youlean meter yesterday but still trying to wrap my head around loudness metering, K-values, LUFS. A link or two to some info on loudness metering that unpacked the names and acronyms would be a welcome addition to the manual. Meanwhile (cracks knuckles in preparation for Google-fu)... ;)

My KVR Marks might be a good start.
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

21113 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:15 pm Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

youlean wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:It only works if the transport is running in Live 9 on Win8.1 ...

This is normal behavior, I will consider adding "Free" histogram mode where running transport won't be needed.

Thanks. It had me scratching my head for a while, until I pressed play :wink: :tu:
Youlean
KVRist

Postby Youlean; Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:52 am Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

Compyfox wrote:
rcrath wrote:Tried youlean meter yesterday but still trying to wrap my head around loudness metering, K-values, LUFS. A link or two to some info on loudness metering that unpacked the names and acronyms would be a welcome addition to the manual. Meanwhile (cracks knuckles in preparation for Google-fu)... ;)

My KVR Marks might be a good start.

Thanks, I am considering adding some explanation about LUFS, but for now bug fixes are on high priority.
Lesha
KVRian

1201 posts since 17 Feb, 2005, from Serbia

Postby Lesha; Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:23 am Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

Congatulations Julijan! :D
It's easy if you know how
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

6684 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:44 am Re: Youlean Loudness Meter

It's a sad day when a plugin that doesn't make or effect sound wins
The future is yesterday