Developer Challenge 2016 Rules - Violations and Prize Distribution criticism

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Compyfox wrote:Still - what signal do you think this sends towards developers (freeware, indie, professionals) that work their rear end off to get something creative done in time and out the door [...]
Well, as I happen to be one of these developers, feel free to re-read my previous post. Of course I can only speak for myself.

Compyfox wrote: Personally I'd have loved to see the Youlean Loudness Meter in the top3 spots, but I did not expect this to win (yes, other stuff was just as creative and IMO even a tad better - not to mention working right out of the box without bugs).
Yes, my plugin did probably have the worst launch of all entries. macOS version wasn't working to anyone except me, and the windows version was buggy as hell. This is because I choose to modify framework I was using to build this plugin (iPlug) so I can add vector graphics and resizable/scalable GUI. That's why there are so many bugs, but I am working on it actively (for the weekends as I have full time job that is not programming). Anyways I hope that I will solve most bugs in the next couple of weeks, then I can finally add some new features (that I am super excited about). :D

Anyone know what happened to this?

"The remaining 10% of the prize fund traditionally goes to a wildcard entry - we'll announce that after Christmas, possibly in the New Year when we've had a good think about it... if you have any thoughts on where our decision should go, please tell us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram (or the KVR Forum of course). We'll also start to sort any extra prizes out in the next week or two."

Wasn't there meant to be a prize for one of the voters/users too?

I have a question that somewhat relates to the topic of this thread – so this is as good a place as any to post it (assuming people are still reading this topic).

To begin with, until I took a closer look at the specifics of the 2016 DC, I naively assumed this was an annual thing. I see now that it is not, and the frequency of the DC events is not even predictable - thus this question.

Can a freebie plug-in be released prior to the announcement of the next DC and be eligible for entry? I have something nearly finished which I believe will be of considerable value to some small subset of the general population of DAW users. It was written mostly to because I thought it was a cool idea and an interesting challenge. I am a comfortably retired software engineer with no aspirations of going into the computer music software line of business.

Assuming I can get the software fully working (it’s quite close but not all the way there yet), I can state with certainty that this software will never be commercialized, the plug-in will never be called a “lite” version with a non-free big brother brought to market, and I had nothing in mind in creating this software other than providing a nice freebie for the DAW community (and satisfying my own interest/curiosity in developing it). But I would like to be able to enter it into the next DC.

So, can I make it available to people prior to the next DC happening? Can I even have some folks beta test it prior to the next DC announcement? Or does it only count when it appears to the world after an initial DC submission date is announced?

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”