Question about Analog Filter

Official support for: lennardigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I noticed something odd to me today while synthesizing a bass sound. At first I thought it was sylenth but was reproducible on all the synths I tried, so seems to have something to do with synthesis.

When you take two sine waves at none octave intervals, after adding a filter with drive an additional harmonic is added below the fundamental, it's tuning depending on the various semi-tone relationships between the two oscillators.

I do not understand what is happening. It looks to me like foldback like in FM synthesis but I've never read anything about analog filters or subtractive synthesis to make me understand it in this context.

If you could help me understand what is happening or point me towards some resources to read I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank You
Dorian Day

Simple answer: It has to do with the drive/distortion, not the filter. Basically, when you combine two waveforns that has the same amplitude (volume) and send into the drive, you get ring modulation.

The extra signal is the sideband from the ringmodulation (usually the sum and difference of your original signals).

Put into other words, we are speaking about Intermodulation and Harmonic Distortion. It is described more in detail here.

Return to “LennarDigital”