Lennard`s customer relations and update cycle

Official support for: lennardigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whatever the reasons for perceived delays of updates, there surely are reasons.
In anybody`s life there is more stuff that you could ever handle.
I personally have so many ideas but simply don`t have the time for most of it.
I have the greatest respect for someone who is able to create something that is as technically demanding as a piece of software and do it at a level of quality that impresses so many people.
My assumption is that Lennard spends as much time on the project as he can.

If you bought a license and you cannot update your host, then this is not a great situation. Other companies have been taking their time with 64 bit updates, too though.
As a side note, people expect it to be a free update. So it is work you won`t get paid for.

I agree that showing some presence and support would be appropriate. On the other hand some people today are so used to constantly being in touch to everybody -> Facebook syndrome.
With the feed of little bits of mostly non-information, they feel ensured that their social bonds are intact. If you need that, I think that is not healthy.
What to worry? Sylenth is usable now. The Mac version took time. But eventually it arrived. The 64bit update for PC was delivered. For Mac it is announced. It`s taking time, I get that. Sooner would be better than later, I get that.
Some more dialogue with customers here would be good, too.
However, I suppose the vast majority of his customers don`t have time for forums. They make music with it. Or they switched to another synth (for the moment).
There`s also Bitwig studio that supports 64 and 32 bit plug-ins and has other advantages over any other DAW.
If your DAW is Logic X or the latest 64 bit version of Ableton, Cubase, Ohm Studio, Studio One... on the Mac, and you don`t like the bridge add-ons, then you are out of luck.

Still I prefer Lennard to spend his time that he has for his audio business mostly with developing. Accounting, license handling, debugging and 64 bit update (this update takes time that he does not have for creating something new, it`s necessary of course, but it`s maintenance) takes enough time away from new features, new products.
And whatever else he has to be dealing with in his life.

Spending time on conversing with a not unimportant but still small minority of his customers on forums would eat more of the time he would otherwise have to be productive.
Anybody who likes his instrument would be well advised to utter their discontent respectfully. That way he may feel appreciation and would be encouraged to continue devoting part of the one life that he has to creating instruments that people can use to make music (some of which may even be fun to listen and party to).

Sylenth1 was released in 2006, version 2 came in 2008, along with 64bit VST for Windows..

Is 2008-2014 not enough time to bring 64bit AU to MAC? He insists development is always happening, but doing very little to back up those claims.

I'd say if PC users got a free 64bit update way back in 2008, MAC users should be entitled to the same standards, they did pay the same price - and have been subject to waiting 6 years for their slice of the 64bit pie..

For all the time he doesn't spend on the forum conversing with non-important stuff, one might imagine he's got more time many others who do spend exuberant amounts of time with keeping up socially with their customers..

Can't imagine much will change though.. 2014 will make or break lennar digital I think, depending on how delayed the OSX 64bit update is, and how many people have moved on tired of waiting.

Without much update activity during recent years Sylenth1 is still #1 in this list:

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/ ... -262145/55

People would probably be a lot less annoyed by customer support if the synth was just a bit cheaper anyway. I firmly believe that much of the cost of a plugin should be customer a support guarantee.

As far as i can tell, he responses to bugs and problems and helps out if needed, just there is no response for any feature related question..

I don't think Sylenth1 64 bit AU will ever be realised. So I bought 32lives for Logic X and I am content enough. It is almost like having it "64 bit natively". It is the only way for (unlucky) mac users. The only compromise. After all (6 years of) silence ("Sylenth?") about this OSX "issue" speaks a thousands words.

mhog wrote:I don't think Sylenth1 64 bit AU will ever be realised.
Wether we belief that the earth is flat or spherical does not change the true nature of the earth.
If you take your subjective perception that something takes "for-f____ing-eevaaaaar" as the base for reasoning, then whatever conclusion you draw is the result of pseudo-logic.
You are thereby operating on a psychological level that is premature.

Your statement also includes the moral accusation to the developer: It is meant as a social punishment for him for not having released the update while looking back from a point in time somewhere in eternity.
So you are already in the year 2099 and you look back and say "See, Lennard never delivered on his promise. Therefore he is morally wrong."
That is pretty unfair because contrary to setting people in the wrong, when creating something real (like a software product) you cannot take it from a fantasy world and bring it back to reality, but you have to actually create this thing here in reality.

The fact is: The update is not released, yet. Wether it will be released, we don`t know. You claim you know (sort of) but that`s self-deception that you need so you can complain.

So far everything that was announced with Sylenth1 took time but was delivered eventually.

mhog wrote:So I bought 32lives for Logic X and I am content enough. It is almost like having it "64 bit natively". It is the only way for (unlucky) mac users.
It`s your choice. I don`t want to use Windows. But you or I could. It`s a choice.
You have a choice of your DAW, using other synthesizers, quit making electronic music.
There are many alternatives on all levels. Although it`s not a perfect world, you are in fact lucky.
There where days when the only virtual analog synth was the Clavia Nord Lead (1.0).
Much later there where soft synths and among them Sylenth1. But it was Windows-only for quite some time.
Today you are using it on a Mac. And you can use it in a 64 bit host, you *could* even use it in a 64 bit host on your Mac without a bridge. Or you could have sticked with Logic 8 or 9 for now. It`s all your choice.
And there are respectable alternatives in soft synths (Spire, Zebra, Z3ta2 (Mac too now), Spectral, OmniSphere (includes virtual analog OSCs), Diva, Massive .... ) not least Virus TI.
Are you sure, you`re unlucky? To me that seems a bit ungrateful.

mhog wrote:The only compromise. After all (6 years of) silence ("Sylenth?") about this OSX "issue" speaks a thousands words.
Was the 64 bit update really a necessity in 2008?

google results:

November 2010 article in Sound on Sound:
"Neither Ableton or Propellerhead would be drawn into suggesting any kind of schedule for a 64‑bit version of Live, Reason or Rewire, but it's certainly something on their radar (João Fernandes of jBridge fame suggested he might give Rewire a look)."
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov10/a ... 64-bit.htm

So it`s not been an issue for 6 years.

If you handle personal and professional relationships like it appears you might, you might be causing yourself unnecessary troubles.
I would like to recommend this book to you:
Stephen Covey - The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change

Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic

As Sylenth1 and the Mac 64 update goes:
If you are not happy with the time it takes you are not wrong to feel that way.
It`s also not wrong to express your discontent.
But stay fair.
The developer is an actual person –like you. How would you feel if a co-worker in the office thinks you`re too slow and then claims you piss in the coffee machine? ;)
Stay with the facts. Don`t pretend you know that it will never be released.
So far Lennar made everything happen that he had announced.

ps:
It`s also a business. A prospective buyer might be discouraged to get Sylenth1 when reading claims that are maybe not correct ("an issue for 6 years") and neither fair (accusations from a fantasy future) but not everybody may be as firm in his own critical thinking to ignore it.
That`s not only also a matter of fairness but you reduce the revenue from Sylenth1 for the dev and therefore hinder updates and future products.
At that point you are shooting yourself in the foot (aka karma).

I think you are misunderstanding or smth. I was talking of 32lives, which is perfect for "obsolete" yet fantastic 32 bit products like Sylenth1 (AU), Vanguard, StringStudio (AU) etc. Once installed, you play these plugins in Logic X as if they were 64 bit ("resurrected"). My post was about this good "compromise". Infact Sylenth1 is perfect as it is in Windows, there is no need for any updates. People just talk about "how ugly the GUI is" and such (LOL), otherwise the synth is still considered N.1. Never heard about bugs or such. The only "issue" (so to speak) is that 64 bit AU version (which I suspect will never come out: the same was for Vanguard and Stringstudio: versions "2" have been announced, not a 64 bit update). I think "Sylenth2" is more likely than a 64 bits AU Sylenth1 version. More logical, after all (since Sylenth1 "bridged" sounds and behaves the same as if it was 64 bit. Now, if one is interested in its sound, bridged or not bridged the results are identical). As Lennard himself claimed some time ago:

13 November 2013
Recently we receive a lot of questions about how to run Sylenth1 in 64bit hosts on OSX, such as the new Logic X and Ableton Live 9. We are still working on a 64bit version of Sylenth1 and we're hoping to get it done in the first half of 2014. Until then there are a few options to run Sylenth1 in these hosts. [...] If you still need the 64bit version, you can use JBridge to run Sylenth1.

"first half of 2014"... Let's see how things turn out, then.

sl1914 wrote: Sylenth1 is still #1 in this list:
Not for long............... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
sl1914 wrote: Sylenth1 is still #1 in this list:
Not for long............... :wink:

whats gonna replace it?
:borg:

blue monk wrote: So you are already in the year 2099 and you look back and say "See, Lennard never delivered on his promise. Therefore he is morally wrong."
I think you majorly miss the point when you think people would be concerned about if it is morally wrong or right what the dev does here. Fact is that people paid a 100€ plus for this plugin, and considering what other dev's offer for that price, that is the product, support in form of updates, 64-bit version, and user support, i would say that it is quite weak what people get here really. But again, that has nothing to do with morally wrong or right, that's just, sorry, emo blah. No software dev is morally supposed to do anything. But from a business point of view, he's supposed to offer people what is usually standard stuff in the business. Which hasn't happened here, unfortunately. So, if i was a customer, my decision would be clear. Never buy anything from him anymore. As simple as that. No hard feelings, just rational consideration.

Lennard's recently gave me a very timely response and license transfer when I couldn't access my email account, he switched it for me no questions asked and allowed a license transfer soon after. I was very impressed with his customer and he made the process very painless. I was pleasantly surprised.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

chk071 wrote:considering what other dev's offer for that price, that is the product, support in form of updates, 64-bit version, and user support, i would say that it is quite weak what people get here really.
The 64 bit update for Mac is an issue. Yet, other devs like Soundtoys have just 1-2 weeks ago released 64 bit versions.

I assume that the perception that the support is weak, is indeed inaccurate and based on the lack of Lennard`s willingness to engage in the discussions here on the forum.
When he is emailed with problems, he seems to always respond quickly if what people report here is true. (see mysticvibes` comment)
mysticvibes wrote:Lennard's recently gave me a very timely response and license transfer when I couldn't access my email account, he switched it for me no questions asked and allowed a license transfer soon after. I was very impressed with his customer and he made the process very painless.

mysticvibes wrote:I was pleasantly surprised.
This last sentence appears to prove my point: Why did he expect dissatisfying support? Maybe because he had no first hand experience and read a few people complaining –some of which have a doubt worthy style of "reasoning" and "facts".

My only personal experience was when I checked the demo and didn`t find the patches made by Secret Cinema.
Lennard mailed those in a zip file to me pronto.
Well, you can of course say, that`s pre-sale. ... But I have read a couple of posts here of people who had a problem and Lennard acted quickly in all of those cases, unless it was a lies.

I would just like to encourage you before you make a very negative posting, ask yourself, is it really not exaggerated what I am about to write? Is the lack of conversing in the forum really a matter of support? Has 64 bit* really been an issue for 6 years?
Stay fair.

*As I understand, there is a 64 bit Windows version. That would mean that actually 64 bit is 50% done, not 0%. That won`t help Logic X users but still: It`s not like there is no 64 bit Sylenth1 update at all.

Personally I've had emails asking about a bug I had be ignored (as he deemed the bug already fixed, and didn't need to bother replying to tell me so, or that a beta fix was out), as well as emails inquiring simply about forthcoming updates (before I knew his policy to ignore all those emails too).

Not knowing he wont reply is probably the worst part. You spend time writing, and don't visit KVR to see whatever "rules" he's got about emailing him, and it's hard not to feel slightly annoyed when your correspondence isn't returned, like you're not worthy of a reply from the great & powerful Lennard!

I'm sure anyone posting anything about him has their reasons, or personal interactions to pull from.

cotdagoo wrote:Personally I've had emails asking about a bug I had be ignored (as he deemed the bug already fixed, and didn't need to bother replying to tell me so, or that a beta fix was out), as well as emails inquiring simply about forthcoming updates (before I knew his policy to ignore all those emails too).

Not knowing he wont reply is probably the worst part. You spend time writing, and don't visit KVR to see whatever "rules" he's got about emailing him, and it's hard not to feel slightly annoyed when your correspondence isn't returned, like you're not worthy of a reply from the great & powerful Lennard!

I'm sure anyone posting anything about him has their reasons, or personal interactions to pull from.
Well then maybe someone should send the 7 Habits book to Lennard then :)

audio book version:

Return to “LennarDigital”