Sylenth1 new update checking

Official support for: lennardigital.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lover of Sylenth1 here. I was using this synth working on a collaboration with people that were difficult to get in the same room. There I was, booting up Sylenth1 for them, and I was hit with the forced update popup.

I spent around 20 minutes trying to figure it out, as I had not received a serial code before, and the solution was not intuitive. I ended up skipping using sylenth1 and we lost ideas due to the break in workflow.

I don't believe forced updates are a safe / good idea for paying customers. I don't ever want to be forced to go through an update process and looking for a serial (which I didn't have due to there being a new protection system now) during the course of a project, especially with clients in the room!

I believe you have mentioned that Sylenth1 periodically checks for updates, I don't like this but the dealbreaker is that as soon as you release an update you make the previous version completely unusable without warning and this could happen at any time, including in the middle of a time critical project.

I hope this gets resolved at some point. I really appreciate you must make good protection to get the well deserved support from customers, but we also deserve a synth that won't timebomb. Can we leave that to the cracked versions of software?
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

+1.

Trying to get Sylenth1 working again, all I can get working now is the demo version! Not a happy customer.

EDIT: Sorted now (many thanks to Ruben for quick response). It's possible that my issue was caused by having the logic board of my macbook pro replaced, though if so it's the only plugin that seems to have been affected.

Hi guys,

We apologize for this inconvenience, we noticed the current update system was timed very unfortunate. The new version of Sylenth1 will periodically check online for an update and during the beta process this check is more frequent. Many users just updated to the V3.006 version and Sylenth1 forced them to update, very incovenient because it did not reroute to the right download link or version.

This will be fixed in the next version.

Please keep in mind this is still a beta so the frequecy of updates is higher, the full version will probably be done for a while when we've released it.

Ruben, thanks very much for the reply, it really sounds like you get it and understand. Much appreciate the explanation and wish you guys all the very best :)

And knowing how rare updates have been in the past once released, we probably won't have a huge problem going forwards!
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

Ruben(LD) wrote:The new version of Sylenth1 will periodically check online for an update
You need to remove this "feature". I don't want my plugins connecting to the internet even "periodically". I have over 200 plugins installed....imagine if they all called home whenever they pleased. When there is an update to Sylenth make an announcement or send an e-mail and we'll update when it's convenient for us.....you don't have the right to say when my studio computer connects to the internet.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
Ruben(LD) wrote:The new version of Sylenth1 will periodically check online for an update
You need to remove this "feature". I don't want my plugins connecting to the internet even "periodically". I have over 200 plugins installed....imagine if they all called home whenever they pleased. When there is an update to Sylenth make an announcement or send an e-mail and we'll update when it's convenient for us.....you don't have the right to say when my studio computer connects to the internet.
You do realise the real reason isn't for updates right ?
It's to validate the license ;)

That said I'm with you 100%. My PC isn't connected to the net and never will be.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Yes i know the real reason is for C/P. Check when I install then do not connect to the internet again. I don't like developers taking liberties with my system. They have no right to force my system to connect to the internet any time they feel like it.......end of story.

My studio computer also handles my financial accounts and transactions. You can see why I don't want it compromised.......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

So, does Sylenth simply cease to work when you go offline?! That would suck. Not everyone lives where Internet access is omnipresent...
But in terms of risk, I bet unknowingly we all have stuff on our computers that we should be worried about a lot more. Even Kaspersky's antivirus suite has been compromised by secret services...

It doesn't matter how this ranks in relation to other possible security risks. That's not the point.

Well, at least with LD I have an idea who I am dealing with. But I am sure my computer is also infected by real malware, it is inevitable these days.
I suppose the only solution is not to go online ever.

Anyway, I wish my Sylenth would check for updates and finally tell me there is one :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote: Anyway, I wish my Sylenth would check for updates and finally tell me there is one :hihi:
Well you've got a good point there. I'm looking forward to the Windows update.....I think. Not too sure I want to update if skinning is the only new feature and a "Call Home" C/P protection scheme is added. If there's no update to the sound then it will be a tough decision. I appreciate the no dongle C/P method but I just can't help thinking if all the 200+ plugins I have installed on my studio computer all called home willy nilly. Maybe some already do....but what's the guarantee they are connecting to secure sites that can't ever be hijacked. Like I said since my studio computer also handles financial duties I have to be at least a little paranoid.

If the call home is just to check for updates then I'd prefer it not do so. I'd rather manually check for updates and download them on this system then transfer/install.

I reported a little bug recently and they said it will be fixed with the next update. So I suppose they will use the new version to iron out known bugs. But I think I read somewhere that in terms of sound and features there will be nothing really new, except the drop-down manager for copy and paste, and the overhauled main menu in the display.

I am looking forward to it, anyway :)

Teksonik wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Anyway, I wish my Sylenth would check for updates and finally tell me there is one :hihi:
Well you've got a good point there. I'm looking forward to the Windows update.....I think. Not too sure I want to update if skinning is the only new feature and a "Call Home" C/P protection scheme is added. If there's no update to the sound then it will be a tough decision. I appreciate the no dongle C/P method but I just can't help thinking if all the 200+ plugins I have installed on my studio computer all called home willy nilly. Maybe some already do....but what's the guarantee they are connecting to secure sites that can't ever be hijacked. .
Zooming is the thing I'd really like to have, about skinning I couldn't care less, I guess I could patch that thing blindfolded.. :D

Easy solution (on Windows) for the calling home 'problem': Block your DAW from accessing the net via firewall and done. You don't need to block singles .dlls, just your audio host. Only thing you have to consider: if your DAW has admin rights firewalling doesn't work (but a DAW which needs admin rights to operate properly cannot be a good one...) :wink:

Well, you need to activate the new version of Sylenth1 online to be able to use it. The activation only takes a couple of seconds.

A new updated version should be available within the next days, the 'mandatory'-update thing has been removed so anyone can update to the new version at his own convenience.

Ok that works for me. I don't mind a one time registration hookup it's just the unwanted connections while searching for a (possible) update that bothers me so it's good to hear that feature has been removed.......... :tu:

Return to “LennarDigital”