Question Regarding the LFO 'Random' wave

Official support for: lennardigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was wondering how exactly the Random wave works. For instance:

- if you use a Random wave in the LFO with Rate of 1Hz, will it reach the same peak and trough as a Sine wave with the same Rate would do, but the shape of the Random wave is different in-between those two points? Or would it not even reach the same peak and trough necessarily, due to it's randomness?

- once a Random wave is set in motion, and a Random shape has been determined, will it maintain the same shape for each cycle, until it is reset by a new key press (if 'Free' isn't on). Or will each cycle be different?

I hope these questions make sense. I understand all the other waves (including 'Sample & Hold'), but it just occurs to me that 'Random' could mean a number of different things when it comes to a waveform.

Liney wrote:if you use a Random wave in the LFO with Rate of 1Hz, will it reach the same peak and trough as a Sine wave with the same Rate would do, but the shape of the Random wave is different in-between those two points? Or would it not even reach the same peak and trough necessarily, due to it's randomness?
It'll reach up to the same peak as a sine wave, but never higher. It's changes randomly below that maximum value.
Liney wrote:once a Random wave is set in motion, and a Random shape has been determined, will it maintain the same shape for each cycle, until it is reset by a new key press (if 'Free' isn't on). Or will each cycle be different?
It's not a determined shape and has no cycle, it'll always move randomly.

Many thanks for responding Lennard.

One last follow up question: if it simply moves randomly and has no cycle, what effect does the LFO Rate have on a Random wave. Will a faster Rate simply mean that it will change more quickly.

Yes, it'll move faster when the Rate setting is higher.

Perfect, thanks Lennard.

Return to “LennarDigital”