Latest update seems ignore midi CC 96 and 97 while responding perfectly to all other CC messages

Official support for: lennardigital.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can someone else let me know if they are also having this issue? I use the Roland Aira System 1 as a sound design control surface and Sylenth is able to MIDI Learn and respond to all CC values pased to it but 96 and 97. I loaded up a MIDI monitor to be sure the values were being sent and I also sent these values to other VSTs (ex: Massive) that responded as expected. Any help/guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you read the MIDI spec, the CCs between 96 and 102 are reserved for (N)RPNs:

MIDI CC 96 (+1) Data Increment Usually used to increment data for RPN and NRPN messages.
MIDI CC 97 (-1) Data Decrement Usually used to decrement data for RPN and NRPN messages.
MIDI CC 98 Non-Registered Parameter Number LSB (NRPN) For controllers 6, 38, 96, and 97, it selects the NRPN parameter.
MIDI CC 99 Non-Registered Parameter Number MSB (NRPN) For controllers 6, 38, 96, and 97, it selects the NRPN parameter.
MIDI CC 100 Registered Parameter Number LSB (RPN) For controllers 6, 38, 96, and 97, it selects the RPN parameter.
MIDI CC 101 Registered Parameter Number MSB (RPN) For controllers 6, 38, 96, and 97, it selects the RPN parameter.

Vendors who use these CCs for other purposes are violating the MIDI spec, so incompatibility is to be expected.
In the current version of Sylenth1 midi CC 6 (Data Entry MSB), 38 (Data Entry LSB) and 96 to 101 are reserved for (N)RPN (according to midi spec).

What I can do in the next update is enable CC 6, 38, 96 and 97, so you can still use them as long as you don't use (N)RPN. When a (N)RPN channel is selected using CCs 98 to 101, then CCs 6, 38, 96 and 97 will switch to (N)RPN mode and will no longer work as CCs until the (N)RPN channel is reset. So even though these CCs will work in the next update, it's still not really recommended to use them, especially if you also use (N)RPNs.

Some other CCs that are reserved are 64 (Sustain Pedal), 120 (All Sound Off) and 123 (All Notes Off).

Thanks for writing back, explaining it, and for considering this in your next update! Greatly appreciated! :)

Return to “LennarDigital”