SynthMaster 2.6, 2.7 roadmap, add your feature requests...

Official support for: kv331audio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Really good requests, Soundgoddess! Really good requests! All that are excellent thoughts, food for priority works of improvement to the best quality in coherence, consistence, ease of use, and very important way to consolidate a community intended and made for the users around this wonderful synth.

All that should be considered in priority before any new features. Consolidate and improve what already exists might always be the priority before any new functions.

And not only in the synth itself but also in the management of the communication (a full set of deeply pedagogic tutorial videos, for example, is one of the most important things to improve a product, not everybody is professional, many people need to learn or to acquire good technical skills, and videos are one of the best solutions beside the manual, because the lonely manual itself can't never be enough when we arrive at a level of really sculpting sounds... and except for the bases intended for the beginners it might be used to deepen AFTER the initiation of advanced features by the videos).

Good points also about the naming of the presets. They are not consistent, you're right.

Good points also about the request for a "Search" tool. Because it is a mess when we have a huge quantity of presets (whatever bought or home made). And I add to your request one of mines which is related to yours: we really need a management of real tags in the presets, not only predefined categories! The best would be in the description of each preset the ability to write (in five or six fields for example) some personal words to use as personal keywords... which could be therefore used as search criteria in the search field that you suggest. That, yes, it would be a major improvement of the existent before beginning to work on any plan to future features!

And about the version number which presently doesn't appear... it should be applied systematically as a standard since the very first release! Actually my copy says only "2.6"... That's not enough! How can I know if it is the release 2.6.x, 2.6.y, 2.6.z...? I can't. Till today the only way to now is to investigate in the properties of the DLL file itself (where I can see 2.6.4.12)... and that's not normal, because users are not supposed to be IT engineer, so the exact number of the release should be visible on the GUI itself.

All good points, you post. I totally agree with your point of view and your requests.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Thanks! I also like the idea of tagging and making stuff easier to search. Adding favourites just isn't enough. Another thought I've seen in some synths is the ability to do a star rating on a preset so you can sort by your own internal rating system (it is very subjective so that would be something on the user side). Sometimes you find a really great sound that doesn't fit the current project but if you can rate it high or add a new tag to it then you can find it again for the next project.

Since the presets continue to grow, making them more consistent and easier to navigate should be as much of a priority as adding new features to the synth engine.

As for video, that is definitely the best way to train on a synth. Manuals don't have any audio and it's just really hard for the lay person to know how something is going to affect the sound just by reading about it.

An easy way with the version number would just be to add it to the popup when you click on the logo to check for updates. It could say you have the latest version (assuming you do) and then just put the version number in parenthesis or something.

I'm really glad that KV311 is actively developing and updating SynthMaster and adding presets. It's really nice to be part of something that is continuing to evolve and grow...I'm happy to be along for the ride. :tu:
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

Hey, little niggle here:
Each time I download and install SM updates I'm a bit annoyed:

1.) Go to the website, enter SN and mail address (could that be saved?) hit return, land on the start page. Huh? Try again. Land on the start page. Try again, explicitly press the download button. Works.
Could that be made working like it's normal on most pages, that hitting return in a form actually sends the form?
Gets me every time. ;-)

Installation:

2.) I have both the x86 and x64 versions installed, in two different VST directories (one for 32 Bit, one for 64 Bit). The installer only remembers one of the paths (I guess the last I used?). Would be nice if it could remember both or look up the system VST installation paths from the registry (I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 here).

3.) I have the content in an alternative location on a separate HD. ATM I have to move it after each update to the correct location from the VST directory.
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here. The SynthMasterFolders.txt file has a current date and points to the right directory, but I still have presets and some resources in the VST directory.

Would be great if this could be streamlined. I love it if updating a plugin doesn't need me cleaning up afterwards and just works on it's own ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

This has probably be requested before, so it will just be a +1 vote for that, but a better way to handle SFZ and samples would be really nice, like setting several folders in the GUI where the program looks for them.

Alternatively, the ability to follow folder links could be another way to do that.

Llamatron wrote:This has probably be requested before, so it will just be a +1 vote for that, but a better way to handle SFZ and samples would be really nice, like setting several folders in the GUI where the program looks for them.

Alternatively, the ability to follow folder links could be another way to do that.
If you're on windows I suggest Hard Link Shell Extension...I just drop junctions to my sfz folders into "SynthMaster\Resources\UserSamples".

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... nsion.html

:party:
~ good luck ~

SoundGoddess wrote:
Llamatron wrote:This has probably be requested before, so it will just be a +1 vote for that, but a better way to handle SFZ and samples would be really nice, like setting several folders in the GUI where the program looks for them.

If you're on windows I suggest Hard Link Shell Extension...I just drop junctions to my sfz folders into "SynthMaster\Resources\UserSamples".

Yes! And it does still much more! It's been years and years that I use it! One of the pearls of the web freewares!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

SoundGoddess wrote:If you're on windows I suggest Hard Link Shell Extension...I just drop junctions to my sfz folders into "SynthMaster\Resources\UserSamples".

Thanks for the advice, now my request turns in "deeper folder hierarchy available in the waves pop up menu" :)

I have ideas for better 2D envelope, Multi stage envelopes and Osc view.

Now work with Multistage envelope is difficult because if you drag the node, value of the time is changing strange. First if you move, you can easy set up some value. If you set up big value (8 or 15) and you want change it, after drag the node, you get very small value or 20. I think this is because if you move node, it change environment too.

1. 2D envelope & Multistage
I create image in Gimp and i think it is better then thousands words.
In section where is 2D Env. & Multistage & Lfos, somewhere would be icon for expand view to this:
2D envelope & Multistage picture

under Multistage is scroll section for shift environment if is zoomed.
in Mutlistage envelope, add new node is like in Keyscale mode - new node is added if you click on the line. I think this would be better then change stages from 8 to 9 or 12. If you move the node, you move only node, not change space between nodes.
The numbers under Multistage environment are represented the synced time and can be changed independently. Or change all from "Sync all stages" - if you set the number, this change all numbers in Multistage. If you turn off sync, instead of 1/8 numbers (for example) will be numbers of seconds 1s, 20s or 0.051s, that depends on zoom control.
V-Sync means Vertical sync. and numbers 0 - 64 - 127 are represent midi like resolution of vertical values.

2D envelope - the yellow line is change curve of the envelope line. This line is show only on selected node. Under Selected line is option symetry - that means if you move with yellow line, the opposite side off line is move too. Symetry can be changed to Split - the opposite side of line is independent. Or change to none, and between node 1 and 2 will be straight line.

2. Oscilator view
Oscilator picture
If you use Phase modulation or FM, you can see changed waveform with modulators (in yellow line) and original wave (white line - sine). It can be seen from Modulator view too. If is modulator used for both oscilator, the changed waveform for osc2 will be in blue color. That means there will be white (for modulator osc), yellow (for Osc1), blue (for Osc2). And for all Osc and modulators will be option to turn off this osc. views.

I think it can be interesting to see waveform changes visually not only in sound form.

--------------
PS: sorry for my english

Don't know if it was mentioned earlier but in addition to videos for learning, a thorough manual for reference would really help.

I've cancelled my post.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

And i forgot write two feature request. I dont know if is in this forum, but i try. Add parameter to modulation matrix with alt or ctrl button + drag mouse some knob (filter, resonance, volume etc..) to empty place of modulation matrix or replace existing one. This will be faster then finding some knob under menu, but menu will be still there. And number of pages in modulation matrix will be helpful.

I downloaded the latest 2.6, selected the player skin to see how it looks, now I can't go back to normal default. How do I go back to default??

OK - all sorted - Global skins !

I'd like more routing options for FM synthesis. Also could you do a video on how to use/setup the vocoder.

popskull wrote:I downloaded the latest 2.6, selected the player skin to see how it looks, now I can't go back to normal default. How do I go back to default??

OK - all sorted - Global skins !
ok i have same problem how did you switch back see where it says i can switch at the top but refreshing it still doesnt change? edit:nm figured it out.

I did find a helpful video from Insigna (who designed one of the sound packs):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryori6roWro

What would be great is if it was more than a basic overview and actually went in depth with all the features. I'm new to synthesis and sound design and would love to see something along the lines of a groove3 series.
~ good luck ~

Return to “KV331 Audio”