Hanging notes

Official support for: kv331audio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I sometimes have the issue where notes will hang, and can't get it to stop.

This morning while working on my song (that's taking forever :hihi: )
it happened again, but I kept goofing around with different settings trying to make it stop.

I don't know if this may help in figuring it out.

Nothing seemed to help it, but finally when I reduced the amount of voices on my tweeked version of Insigna's Lead Vai Bee Hell All (i) then it stopped the hung note.

I think I had it on 8 voices, when I switched it to 4, then it stopped the hanging note. :)

Just press the panic button ! if you encounter that. I will debug this further.
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

+1 for Studio One, hangin Notes

kv331 wrote:Just press the panic button ! if you encounter that. I will debug this further.

I forgot where that panic is in SM, I am not home right now, but will check that out once I get back.

There is a button in Sonar to stop the Audio engine, it stops all sound and the song stops right on whatever spot you hit that button on. But then when I hit the space bar (which is to "Play" the song again) the hung note starts all over again.

I tried a few other things which didn't work, but then reducing voices like I mentioned seems to work ok. I'll check the quickstart guide for now to see where that panic button is. :)

News?

I'm starting tonight, yeah I'm back to coding :lol:
Works at KV331 Audio

kv331 wrote:I'm starting tonight, yeah I'm back to coding :lol:
Cool! Hopefully it's not tough to figure out, as it doesn't happen all the time.

Examigan wrote:
Cool! Hopefully it's not tough to figure out, as it doesn't happen all the time.
Well, something not happening all the time is more difficult to debug :hihi:
Works at KV331 Audio

kv331 wrote:
Examigan wrote:
Well, something not happening all the time is more difficult to debug :hihi:
I get hung notes every time I do this (SM2 has default preset): loop eight 1/16th and simultaneously eight 1/8th MIDI notes (I've been testing with all notes = middle C) a couple of times, like this (I am actually using ERA2 step sequencer to do this, with 120 bpm):

(start) _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (back to start) and at the same time
(start) __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ (so the max MIDI polyphony is 2)

Sometimes (but not with this MIDI input), to eliminate all hung notes I sometimes get in SM2 requires _two_ presses of the panic key -- remarkable, I think!

Windows XP SP3 here.

Maybe this will help your debugging. I hope so, as I am tired of pushing the panic button. That happens _almost_ all the time when I try to use SM2 with ToneCarvver's freebie MIDI generative sequencer, Nova 3 (version 0.6) -- but other synths don't have such bad troubles with Nova 3.

Greg Williams

Greg, thanks a LOT for the detaile bug report. Now time to reproduce it. I'll let you guys know about it!
Works at KV331 Audio

Now I realize that my diagram might be somewhat misleading. It is *really* like this (vertical does not mean change in pitch, just separation for clarity; horizontal is time for _all_ notes):

1/16th notes:

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
and, starting at the same time,
1/8th notes:
__
__
__
__
__
__
__
__

So the start of each 1/8th note aligns with the start of each 1/16th note and the 1/8th notes overlap but the 1/16th notes do not overlap--the next 1/16th note is on as soon as the last one is off; the looping occurs at the end every eighth 1/16th note (in the middle of every eighth 1/8th note). All notes are being sent on MIDI channel 1.

Hope this is clearer,

Greg Williams

Foiled! I had put spaces in front of the underlines in the above post, but KVR took them away!! In each group of eight underlines, there should be no space before the first underline, one space before the second, two spaces before the third, etc.

Sorry about that,

Greg

Hey Greg, what's your DAW?

In Reaper can not reproduce it. Let's try other DAWs.
Works at KV331 Audio

The repeatable hang as detailed above is with energyXT 1.4. I just tried it in FL Studio 9.1 and couldn't replicate the problem. However, some (more complex than above) MIDI patterns in ERA2 and FL Studio _do_ cause the problem for SM2 reliably, but those same patterns _do not_ cause hung notes in z3ta+ (regardless of the synth's polyphony).

Apparently there is some sort of MIDI-handling interaction between the DAWs and SM2 that some other synths aren't subject to. And the interaction is different for different DAWs! (Slight timing differences, maybe?) Today, I'll try to come up with a reasonably simple MIDI note pattern that reliably causes hung notes in SM2 but not in other synths using FL Studio.

More soon,

Greg Williams

In FL Studio 9.1, the following MIDI pattern (looping at 120 bpm) in ERA2 results in hung notes in SM2, but NOT in hung notes in z3ta+, Glass Viper, Sytrus, or w (from xoxos):

Tempo = 1/4 (the default)
Track 1 filled with 16 C2 notes (C2 pitch what ERA2 calls it)
Track 2 filled with 16 A2 notes
Track 3 filled with 16 C2 notes (yes, a duplicate of Track 1)
all notes have gate value = 1.0 (the default, so a note will turn off when the next note in the track begins)

I hope this helps with debugging,

Greg Williams

Return to “KV331 Audio”