Hanging notes

Official support for: kv331audio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have FL10 so I hope this'll help me. Will debug tonight with FL and then Studio One v2.0

How do I import MIDI into Studio One though?
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

Simply Drag and Drop.

From the Browser to the Timeline ^^

Now I'm thinking that maybe the problem has to do with cases where on the same MIDI channel there are two instances of the same note at the same time. No, that can't happen with a MIDI controller keyboard, but it can (and does in my ERA example above) with sequencers (such as ERA and Nova 3 -- with which I've been getting hung notes many times).

Perhaps some special code is needed in SM2 for handling (on a given MIDI channel): noteon (for instance) 48, then noteon 48 again, then noteoff 48 (for instance) -- the second instance, then finally noteoff 48 -- the first instance?

Greg Williams

gwill wrote:Now I'm thinking that maybe the problem has to do with cases where on the same MIDI channel there are two instances of the same note at the same time. No, that can't happen with a MIDI controller keyboard, but it can (and does in my ERA example above) with sequencers (such as ERA and Nova 3 -- with which I've been getting hung notes many times).

Perhaps some special code is needed in SM2 for handling (on a given MIDI channel): noteon (for instance) 48, then noteon 48 again, then noteoff 48 (for instance) -- the second instance, then finally noteoff 48 -- the first instance?

Greg Williams
yeah that might be the issue. does era output midi?
Works at KV331 Audio

Yes, ERA2 (now from Sugarbytes) is a 16-track sequencer that _only_ outputs MIDI. Any track can be configured to send MIDI on any MIDI channel, thus the possibility of simultaneously duplicated notes on the same channel. IIRC, the demo version's limitation is that it puts out some incorrect MIDI notes. Nova 3 also is a MIDI sequencer (freeware); it can easily produce duplicated notes on its output MIDI channel as a consequence of its algorithmic MIDI note generation.

Greg

Actually, ERA2 is has 12, not 16, tracks.

And I use it almost every day -- but not usually very many of the tracks, hence my mistake.

Greg

gwill wrote:The repeatable hang as detailed above is with energyXT 1.4. I just tried it in FL Studio 9.1 and couldn't replicate the problem. However, some (more complex than above) MIDI patterns in ERA2 and FL Studio _do_ cause the problem for SM2 reliably, but those same patterns _do not_ cause hung notes in z3ta+ (regardless of the synth's polyphony).

Apparently there is some sort of MIDI-handling interaction between the DAWs and SM2 that some other synths aren't subject to. And the interaction is different for different DAWs! (Slight timing differences, maybe?) Today, I'll try to come up with a reasonably simple MIDI note pattern that reliably causes hung notes in SM2 but not in other synths using FL Studio.

More soon,

Greg Williams
Hi Greg,

Finally I can reproduce this one!

Apparently, if the same note number is triggered again, before the prev one ends, we have a HANG.
Works at KV331 Audio

Anxiously awaiting the fix ... that will make SM2 my #1 goto synth!!!

Thanks for your diligence,

Greg

gwill wrote:Anxiously awaiting the fix ... that will make SM2 my #1 goto synth!!!

Thanks for your diligence,

Greg
You're welcome! I'll work on it tonight!

Are you on Windows or Mac?

The Windows build might come faster tonight.
Works at KV331 Audio

Thanks, but no huge hurry -- I have _slow_ dialup at home, won't be at a fast-web computer (at a library) until next week.

I use XP SP3.

Best wishes,

Greg

gwill wrote:Thanks, but no huge hurry -- I have _slow_ dialup at home, won't be at a fast-web computer (at a library) until next week.

I use XP SP3.

Best wishes,

Greg
The update is 6 MB, so you can even download it with the dialup connection :D

BTW, I think I fixed it, update coming in 20 minutes 8)
Works at KV331 Audio

kv331 wrote:
gwill wrote:Thanks, but no huge hurry -- I have _slow_ dialup at home, won't be at a fast-web computer (at a library) until next week.

I use XP SP3.

Best wishes,

Greg
The update is 6 MB, so you can even download it with the dialup connection :D

BTW, I think I fixed it, update coming in 20 minutes 8)
Great! Will you be posting the link, or is it at a URL I have?

No, I didn't stay up all night waiting (it's now 5 a.m. here), but I'm definitely excited about this -- will let you know how it goes ...

Thank you!

Greg

Cool! :)

Is this update all done now, and can I just use my last download link that I have? Or is it a different link now?

Works at KV331 Audio

Sry the hangin note bug is still there under Studio One V2.

Return to “KV331 Audio”