A minor and E minor keys

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hello,

I am a beginner whit music theory. I have a question regarding multiple keys within a song.

I have a song that in one part is in A minor where the guitar is playing an E note while the voice sings notes like C,D, E and F (not necessarily in that order) and all of the sudden the I. another part the keyboard plays a alone in E minor with notes like F#, G, A, B ,C, D and E.

Amy question is, are we allowed to change from A minor to E minor in the same song....?

The change from one key sounds nice but I don't know if what I am doing is legal musical theory.

thanks all for your feedback...

Theory is not about what you can and can't do (although some government and religious groups would disagree). It's simply a way to codify information. What you do with that is up to you. Theory can account for the type of "feeling" a certain key change degree may impart. It accounts for "conventional" usage of keys. But, should be thought of as examples or templates instead of "laws". It doesn't say "Thou shalt I, V, IV, IV". It says "A common chord approach is ..."
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

ok

thanks
SJ_Digriz

I agree. Don't use theory to write songs - use theory to understand how you can build a song in a certain way, IF that's what you want to do.

If you just want to write songs - don't worry about theory - use your ears.

For example, when I put thou shalt I, V, IV, IV ... If you know theory, you'll know what those are regardless of key. Or at least, in general ... even within theory there are multiple theories and approaches. But, if a melody is written over that progression, a person can tell another person ... play that in Eb instead of G.

So you can use theory to consistently communicate musical ideas. It does have its technical uses as well though. And, as a computer science major that hung around with math and physics majors, even we thought the music theory dudes were geeks.

TapDance wrote:Amy question is, are we allowed to change from A minor to E minor in the same song....?
Kraftwerk's the Model topped the UK chart ;)

As a golden rule*, if any question you're asking involves the interval known as a fifth, the answer is probably "yes".

* (disclaimer, questions constructed specifically to disprove this theory not valid)
Last edited by Sendy on Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

And for the love of god, don't get involved in a "Should I learn theory" discussion. This forum has quite enough black holes of ever circular straw man argumentation.

Sendy wrote:As a golden rule*, if any question you're asking involves the interval known as a fifth, the answer is probably "yes".

* (disclaimer, questions constructed specifically to disprove this theory not valid)
5ths are good ... as are pints :wink:

The fifth is like the little octave.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

TapDance wrote:are we allowed
legal music theory
Do what thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Begin with experience with the things in some music, don't begin with a book of laws.

Another thing about theory... By asking a "theory" question you're implying that you want a technical response. Unfortunately, many people want to quibble the actual technical answer as "not pertinent" or "doesn't matter". There are many practical approaches to playing/writing music that borrow from theory, but don't require a deep understanding of it. But, those are not THEORY answers, they are practical "close enough for government work" answers. And, often times plain wrong from a theory standpoint. Which leads to endless "is too", "is not" arguments. These petty arguments lead to confusion instead of understanding. The best thing to do is figure out who is giving you practical vs technical responses. Both have value.

Theory is interesting, and can help your musical comprehension among other benefits. However, it can be tedious, difficult and time consuming if you really want to get it, a lot like playing an instrument.

But, it is not required to make music. No one checks your theory card at the stage door. Just don't start passing off your googled definition of a mode to someone who took the time to understand a mode at a technical level.

There is no 'theory standpoint' per se. There are things which fit conventions and if you want to be in the convention you want to know about the procedures that made a convention. So if you go to apply certain procedures out of 'common practice period' of western concert or art music, ie., 'classical' principles to rock, you have potentially a lot of things which are not suited to the latter practice and may not be worth talking a lot about in and of the original post/context. And a lot of it could be a red herring.

But sometimes people will assert things which are going to mislead every single person that doesn't know better and whether or not the OP gives a shit it might be countered.

thank you all for your much appreciated replies....

If you're taking theory too seriously, i think you're kinda missing the point of music

Return to “Music Theory”