The guide formerly known as Ravenspiral Guide

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:without being too verbose.
He does get into such extensions in the book I downloaded.
"Too" verbose is clearly relative here. 100 pages cannot possibly be "too verbose" given the content.
I don't think you've actually looked at the book. it is extremely verbose for what it actually conveys.
Oh cmon, really? Really? I know that you don't think much of what I have to say, but really, do you think that I would post without first downloading and taking a look? Seriously?

It's nowhere hear as verbose as the books that I referenced above. Again, different contexts, but it seems reasonable to me given the audience.

ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:That is, your criticism doesn't matter.
My criticism is designed for the person that made this book. He is in a position to learn from what I said. I am not looking to make a book, no. I have however shown people in the concrete how to achieve particular aims in this forum. Your criticism of me really doesn't matter.
Except that you fail to reach people. It's not clear to me that you've showed as much right as you criticize what "you think" is wrong.
This is not an accurate portrayal of what I have done here. And it is a portrayal, which is a product of your attitude towards me. It's serious cherry picking to make a point which is personal. This is obnoxious and an abuse of the forum.
ghettosynth wrote:I doubt that
will be chosen over the guide in this forum; it's verbose, partially a sales pitch, so it won't be trusted, and comes at music from a "traditional" point of view.
So somehow the fact of its promoting further material from them absolutely obviates 'trust'. That's such a reach. The reality here is, you don't like it because I posted it. You must think you get over really easily. Your disguises are completely sheer to me.
ghettosynth wrote:
This course uses musical examples from the Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and 20th century periods, in addition to relevant examples from contemporary popular artists and styles.
It tries very hard to be "hip", but even if the message is on point, it fails to be a simple guide to application of musical tools. Maybe that's a completely erroneous point of view, but it strikes me as that's what people are asking for.

Why not post the link to that guide on a top post instead of burying it in here?
I thought to do just that when I first saw this. It seemed 'competitive' and I gave this book its due, downloaded and went through quite a bit of it.

The book by K-Bird is what tries to be "hip". It's hard to read it uses such a degree of slang. The Berkeley book OTOH is written for adults.

You don't know what you're talking about in the first place. Why are you talking about theory? Who are you kidding do you think?

How does it fail? I already realize that for you, an assertion = an argument, but do see if you can say something substantive about it. You went to find fault with it and you cherry picked what to you seemed like a good idea to use to attack it. So far I see nothing of substance. This is your modus operandi, isn't it.

in the matter of a pretty short book it conveys substitution in the concrete concisely in such an example as this:

I think it serves its purpose. Clearly they would like you to buy some things following it.

I care more about music than you do evidently. I would really, honestly hate to have people trying to become students get bad information. K-Bird's book tells us it's a work in progress. It can stand some work.
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:without being too verbose.
He does get into such extensions in the book I downloaded.
"Too" verbose is clearly relative here. 100 pages cannot possibly be "too verbose" given the content.
I don't think you've actually looked at the book. it is extremely verbose for what it actually conveys.
Oh cmon, really? Really? I know that you don't think much of what I have to say, but really, do you think that I would post without first downloading and taking a look? Seriously?
I don't have any good evidence you are following what I said about it. actually from your points it seems to me like you are reading something VERY different than what I have before me, and I expect that your M.O. is to cherry pick things to make a case rather quickly; in fact certain of the quick responses rather evidence that regardless of my opinion of what you do. Which is not an opinion of you, I don't know you, but I really do have that low an opinion of how you proceed in an argument.

You're pretty intelligent and you have a certain mastery of the language. What you do with that, with real consistency, is seriously dodgy IME.
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
My criticism is designed for the person that made this book. He is in a position to learn from what I said. I am not looking to make a book, no. I have however shown people in the concrete how to achieve particular aims in this forum. Your criticism of me really doesn't matter.
Except that you fail to reach people. It's not clear to me that you've showed as much right as you criticize what "you think" is wrong.
This is not an accurate portrayal of what I have done here. And it is a portrayal, which is a product of your attitude towards me. It's serious cherry picking to make a point which is personal. This is obnoxious.
You would know.
ghettosynth wrote: Why not post the link to that guide on a top post instead of burying it in here?
I thought to do just that when I first saw this. It seemed, 'competitive' and I gave this book its due, downloaded and went through quite a bit of it. Which you haven't done. But you have a lot to say about it now that I do.
One post is NOT a "lot to say." I gave both guides a sufficient glance to compare their styles.
The book by K-Bird is what tries to be hip. It's hard to read it uses such a degree of slang.
I had no problem.
You don't know what you're talking about in the first place. Why are you talking about theory?
I'm no more talking about theory than you are right now.
How does it fail?
"to be a simple guide to application of musical tools"

You don't know what that means because it's either been years, or, perhaps never, that you've thought about music that way.
, but do see if you can say something substantive about it. You went to find fault with it and you cherry picked what to you seemed like a good idea to attack it. This is your modus operandi, isn't it.
Do you distrust everyone who disagrees with you? I almost feel sorry for you.
in the matter of a pretty short book it conveys substitution in the concrete concisely in such an example as this:
Yes, nice, is that what people are looking for?

ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
This is not an accurate portrayal of what I have done here. And it is a portrayal, which is a product of your attitude towards me. It's serious cherry picking to make a point which is personal. This is obnoxious.
You would know.
another silly tu quoque. I have not reached to give my idea of your M.O. It is evident. Do you write fiction at all? One can, without trying to confirm one's - your - bias, find my actual contribution here and it will not agree with your story. I don't need a story for you. The evidence is in, you reach and twist and engage in the ad hominem all the time just to fight with me. I'm tired of it, I'm taking my leave of you.

jancivil wrote:I'm taking my leave of you.
...ok

Ghettosynth and jancivil, can you two get a room please? :hihi:

manducator wrote:Ghettosynth and jancivil, can you two get a room please? :hihi:
I have a completely hilarious and politically incorrect joke that is, unfortunately, too large for the margins of this post.

ghettosynth wrote: I have a completely hilarious and politically incorrect joke that is, unfortunately, too large for the margins of this post.
You mean it's
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:too verbose.
I run a netlabel http://oligopolistrecords.bandcamp.com
Free chill, hip-hop, lo-fi, ambient, experimental, for you! (Send me demos too!)

ghettosynth wrote:you might want to get them checked by a professional.
A professional what?
A professional teacher? A professional author of music theory texts?

Perhaps you're right.

Oh, did I mention I happen to be both?

There is no excuse for teaching something as fact which is objectively incorrect. You are only confusing people and, in the long term, doing more harm than good.

Use sharps only if you want, but you can't call it "the scale of C minor", because it isn't.
At the very least, you need some sort for explanation for why you are using sharps when it should be flats.
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

quayquay17 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: I have a completely hilarious and politically incorrect joke that is, unfortunately, too large for the margins of this post.
You mean it's
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
Yes, something like that.

jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
You would know.
another silly tu quoque. I have not reached to give my idea of your M.O. It is evident. Do you write fiction at all? One can, without trying to confirm one's - your - bias, find my actual contribution here and it will not agree with your story. I don't need a story for you. The evidence is in, you reach and twist and engage in the ad hominem all the time just to fight with me. I'm tired of it, I'm taking my leave of you.
:hihi: :roll: :hihi: :lol: :hug:

JumpingJackFlash wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:you might want to get them checked by a professional.
A professional what?
A professional teacher? A professional author of music theory texts?

Perhaps you're right.

Oh, did I mention I happen to be both?

There is no excuse for teaching something as fact which is objectively incorrect. You are only confusing people and, in the long term, doing more harm than good.

Use sharps only if you want, but you can't call it "the scale of C minor", because it isn't.
At the very least, you need some sort for explanation for why you are using sharps when it should be flats.
A professional pro :hihi:

ghettosynth wrote:
quayquay17 wrote:
You mean it's
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
jancivil wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Yes, something like that.

something like what?? :(

quayquay17 wrote:
so do I,

why does a milk stool only have 3 legs? hmmm?,

BECAUSE THE COWS GOT THE "UDDER" ONE :roll:

So there Mr smartypants :wink:

Return to “Music Theory”