Detroit Chords

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Deric wrote:This should help too:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m5OHPgne1S4

you cheeky guitarists you ;)

Nev
I span the genres, they call me the genre spanner.

any harmonic situation will fall apart fast if it doesn't match the key structure. cheap keyboards often have "easy chords" feature
press one note it's a major press of the key press

Another solution is actually playing the chords or,,,
Picking up one of these bad boys.

In chord mode all you need are two fingers down.
The lower three rows are for the chord name and the upper 3 are for the voicings. While you can't arpegiate you can set up your own voicing/inversion.
Press the chord type button and tap on the root note.

nuffink wrote:
scotch5010 wrote:Hi,

can someone please tell me which typical chords are used in so called Detroit Techno (Carl Craig etc.)

Thanks a lot
Mainly minor and particularly minor 7th chords. Sampled and played back as one finger chords, as napalmbob said, to give you a bunch of parallel minor chords.

actually they didn't sample chords as much as you think... *if* they used a bunch of parallel chords, it was more use of the chord memory function found on Juno's and such.
Eins zwei drei vier funf sechs sieben acht

ahh those one finger chords ...

What's also cool is to sample a 5th interval and play actual chords with it. You get weird minor 7ths etc. Very cool.

:)

Bonteburg wrote:ahh those one finger chords ...

What's also cool is to sample a 5th interval and play actual chords with it. You get weird minor 7ths etc. Very cool.

oh yes.. :)

fun times!

Bonteburg wrote:ahh those one finger chords ...

I think detuning oscillators that way (to have a 1 finger-interval in the soundprogram) is a typical technique for ambient pads, isn't it?
...I may remember that incorrectly, don't know for sure.

Return to “Music Theory”